HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Suggestions for open kitchen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Suggestions for open kitchen?

Dear all,

Besides cleaning diligently every day (i salute all those who can achieve this), any suggestions on how to keep oil/grease/cooking fumes from escaping into the living room, in particular for open-kitchen concepts?

Also, anyone tried those glass casing around the cooking hood before? Found a number of sellers in Taobao customising this, for instance. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...u=t2dmg8j26111

many thanks in advance
1P<31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #2

Dear all,

Besides cleaning diligently every day (i salute all those who can achieve this), any suggestions on how to keep oil/grease/cooking fumes from escaping into the living room, in particular for open-kitchen concepts?

Also, anyone tried those glass casing around the cooking hood before? Found a number of sellers in Taobao customising this, for instance. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...u=t2dmg8j26111

many thanks in advance

For me i have intention to use a sliding door to close it when cooking.
Thats my plans for now. In future it may or may not change
shin7829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #3

Its all abt making sure the airflow is venting outwards. Most hoods recirculate within kitchen.
yoongf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #4

For me i have intention to use a sliding door to close it when cooking.
Thats my plans for now. In future it may or may not change
Thanks Shin. We thought of building glass doors/wall / sliding doors too, but the resale unit that we are looking at has long L-shape wall being hacked down. Adding the wall/glass or wooden door would mean the study room would need a door too, living room will feel significantly smaller..

Rough floor plan: https://pasteboard.co/Itpp39F.png

Last edited by 1P<31B; 19-08-2019 at 07:48 PM..
Old 19-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

Its all abt making sure the airflow is venting outwards. Most hoods recirculate within kitchen.
Thanks yoongf, didnt know hoods recirculate within the kitchen. I always thought fumes go into the hood and tadah either disappears or become clean air...
Old 19-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

Blow air back into the kitchen with a standing fan
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #7

Yes indeed. By adding a door the area would look smaller. Its unavoidable trade off

Else can u tahan your living room get oily?

My unit may be worse than u
Mine even smaller if put sigh
shin7829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:37 AM   #8

Yes indeed. By adding a door the area would look smaller. Its unavoidable trade off

Else can u tahan your living room get oily?

My unit may be worse than u
Mine even smaller if put sigh
*shy* we are still trying to find solutions to get the best of both worlds...i.e. not adding wall/doors while keeping living room free from oil/grease.

The Taobao glass casing around the hood caught our eye as a possible alternative. However given that Chinese hoods usually should have a vent that directs air out versus Singapore hoods re-circulating the air, im not sure if the glass casing is a matter of more frequent filters to change/clean (easy peasy) or it would damage the cooker hood. From taobao reviews appear rather decent when i scroll through different more reputable sellers.

Wonder anyone in singapore had tried this before with reviews..
Old Today, 12:41 AM   #9

Blow air back into the kitchen with a standing fan
😂😂😂
The kitchen has almost 40% of its original wall torn down.. i need an army of fans to blow air back to kitchen. Then again, kitchen has no windows unless i consider the service yard..

Last edited by 1P<31B; Today at 12:46 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.