What happens if i buy a resale HDB under single scheme and gets married after?

wainism

Reaction score
Sorry to dig this up. But have a question...

Is there a NEED to declare your spouse as occupier? Assuming HDB was owned under single scheme before marriage.

Thanks.

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there a NEED to declare your spouse as occupier? Assuming HDB was owned under single scheme before marriage.

There is no need to add your spouse as an occupier at all.

An HDB essential occupier a family member who is required to be listed in the Application Form in order to form a family nucleus and qualify under an eligibility scheme to purchase a BTO/resale flat.

Since the flat was already purchased under single scheme, which does not require any occupier to start with, therefore, there is no need to add the spouse at all.

For your information, I had ever went to HDB to enquire (after getting married for 8 years), and was told there is a need to. However, it is very certain that the HDB Officer does not have full knowledge on this at all. The purpose of letting you know this is not to confuse you, but to make you aware that not all info from HDB Officer is reliable. :(

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is not a must to add her as co-owner even though she has no flat. Basically, you bought under the single scheme so it is up to you to add or don't add her as co-owner after marriage.

Current regulation is that a person cannot have a pte property (local or overseas) and a HDB flat so if she has a pte property, you can't add her as co-owner for the HDB but occupier should be fine.
actually, you can have a hdb and a pte...just need to buy them in the correct order (HDB and fulfill MOP -> Private)..and also willing to fork out the ABSD.

wainism

Reaction score
thing is, i asked a few officers, they said need to add as occupier once married.

So if not added as occupier, wife cannot have mailing address changed?

There is no need to add your spouse as an occupier at all.

An HDB essential occupier a family member who is required to be listed in the Application Form in order to form a family nucleus and qualify under an eligibility scheme to purchase a BTO/resale flat.

Since the flat was already purchased under single scheme, which does not require any occupier to start with, therefore, there is no need to add the spouse at all.

For your information, I had ever went to HDB to enquire (after getting married for 8 years), and was told there is a need to. However, it is very certain that the HDB Officer does not have full knowledge on this at all. The purpose of letting you know this is not to confuse you, but to make you aware that not all info from HDB Officer is reliable. :(

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thing is, i asked a few officers, they said need to add as occupier once married.

So if not added as occupier, wife cannot have mailing address changed?

That is exactly what I was trying to tell you about the HDB Officers being wrong. They have no knowledge what occupiers are for...

The police officer will not care whether you are an owner or occupier. Just make sure your wife updates the address within 28 days of moving.

wainism

Reaction score
Superb. Thanks for the info!

That is exactly what I was trying to tell you about the HDB Officers being wrong. They have no knowledge what occupiers are for...

The police officer will not care whether you are an owner or occupier. Just make sure your wife updates the address within 28 days of moving.

doremo1981

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So if even u married abd ur spouse is foreigners so dont matter

Sent from Samsung SM-N920I using GAGT

ixora2007

Reaction score
My current place is bought under Singles Scheme while my future spouse is bought together with the parent (under Public Scheme).

Is there a need to remove the name from the Public Scheme while not changing anything about my current ownership?

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My current place is bought under Singles Scheme while my future spouse is bought together with the parent (under Public Scheme).

Is there a need to remove the name from the Public Scheme while not changing anything about my current ownership?

No need to change anything on the ownership for both of you, remain status quo.

SexyLeeAnn

Reaction score
No need to change anything on the ownership for both of you, remain status quo.

If a couple, each has a single scheme flat, got married, if dont want to put each other as co owner after marriage, is this alright?

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If a couple, each has a single scheme flat, got married, if dont want to put each other as co owner after marriage, is this alright?

For both under single scheme, one of the flats has to be sold after getting married. A married couple cannot own more than one HDB flat, except if the spouse owns one with the parents prior to marriage.

You can refer to this.

Both of you will need to discuss and decide which one to sell. With one flat left, there is no need to put the other party as co-owner nor occupier.

SexyLeeAnn

Reaction score
Then, maybe will marry overseas but dont ROM in singapore...

Or dont marry at all...

For both under single scheme, one of the flats has to be sold after getting married. A married couple cannot own more than one HDB flat, except if the spouse owns one with the parents prior to marriage.

You can refer to this.

Both of you will need to discuss and decide which one to sell. With one flat left, there is no need to put the other party as co-owner nor occupier.

xxSaDanxx

Reaction score

You can refer to this.

Hi Pokémon, can I check the last paragraph that you mentioned.. so it means the unsold flat need not be under both names, but only the existing owner?

So does it means the other partner (after selling off the HDB) is eligible to buy a Pte pty (eg. condo) solely under his/her name without ABSD and able to loan max 80% since it’s the first loan?

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Pokémon, can I check the last paragraph that you mentioned.. so it means the unsold flat need not be under both names, but only the existing owner?

So does it means the other partner (after selling off the HDB) is eligible to buy a Pte pty (eg. condo) solely under his/her name without ABSD and able to loan max 80% since it’s the first loan?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

And yes again, regarding the ABSD and loan. You catch them very well, and fyi, this is the property ownership I am having with my spouse currently, as what you have spelt out.

xxSaDanxx

Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

And yes again, regarding the ABSD and loan. You catch them very well, and fyi, this is the property ownership I am having with my spouse currently, as what you have spelt out.

Thanks for your fast reply and explaination.

Last edited:

babyrobo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then, maybe will marry overseas but dont ROM in singapore...

Or dont marry at all...

Will hdb check or seek declaration if you are married or not should one party come back from the overseas wedding and buy a single scheme hdb flat? Or both already holding one hdb, does rom in Singapore check?

babyrobo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You can refer to this.

Who/which dept will check if one is indeed sold?

killachicken

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig this thread out

Has any thing changed with this ruling?

Eg

1 has hdb (single scheme) and 1 has condo

After marriage, can keep both?(under individual names?)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.