HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

CharmanderWong

Reaction score
Go up the peak and watch the sunset, if the sunset is nice that day, i believe both u and ur bf will remember that moment for the rest of ur life =:p

Other than that, look at some of the more popular tourist attractions at www.discoveryhongkong.com. Pick the ones u like and then plan ahead~!

windmill00qi

Reaction score
Go up the peak and watch the sunset, if the sunset is nice that day, i believe both u and ur bf will remember that moment for the rest of ur life =:p

Other than that, look at some of the more popular tourist attractions at www.discoveryhongkong.com. Pick the ones u like and then plan ahead~!

haha.where is the peak btw? i went to the website but it doesnt seem very helpful...

Yingmu

Reaction score
Hi all

Anyone noes which area got good exchange rate for HK dollars ??

the best offer i got is at chinatown, SG $1 = HK $5.65

cjickenlittle

Reaction score
the rate has drop today, saw frm yahoo converter is onli 5.68, which means outside maybe around 5.55 onli. few says ago yahoo wan 5.72, den outside asked was 5.65.

enoone

Reaction score
anyone knows whether got any website like our sistic where can see what concerts happening in hk and can book concert tickets

hotterdog

Reaction score
hi all, finally finished 247 pages of this long thread
(+ e other one which is like 18 pages currently), close to fainting now :D:D
Have some questions to you HK experts (planning to go in early dec)

1) Currently got some chickens found w H5N1 virus, mass culling in markets
(as of Jun 08) in event of outbreak, how will it affect tourists shopping or eating
other than cannot eat poultry?

2) for night market or day stalls, if touch or ask dun buy kena scold, issit common trend?
(to get scolded) how to counter? say sorry or just walk away?

3) how to tell difference in sg & hk cantoese? (eg. Thank u – dou zei or mmm koi?)
so that can blend in closer to locals? (any sites for local lingo eg. hang gai = da bao etc)

4) gangsters/gu huat zai?? will we see many like in movies? night market/malls more? will they harras tourists?

5) post 2786, pg 186, factory outlets over rated (shopping center better) THEN
can’t bargain in malls/ price same as outlets?

6) flag raising ceremony at HKCC can take pics? (must stand at attention)

7) post 3150 Hong Kong industrial Centre at Lai Chi Kok how to go???
(sell to tourist? Safe?)

8) toilets easy to find? cause read some for tendants, if in night markets how?

9) for bring back food if roast pigeon = confiscated , then fishball packed tightly is ok? So must be dried only not fresh?

10) pg 36 pt 2, Don’t go Yung Kee issit refer to dim sum?(name of resturant?)
then e famous roast duck ok rite?

11) (post 3479, pg 232) hahaha...no matter u want or dont want...upon entering u r asked to take photo with Jackie Chan...LoL..
No way to escape? can just ignore & carry on?

ta's it for now... brain shutting down, eyes damn pain..... many thanks pls help..... :o

Last edited:

CharmanderWong

Reaction score

(as of Jun 08) in event of outbreak, how will it affect tourists shopping or eating

2) for night market or day stalls, if touch or ask dun buy kena scold, issit common trend?

3) how to tell difference in sg & hk cantoese? (eg. Thank u – dou zei or mmm koi?)
so that can blend in closer to locals? (any sites for local lingo eg. hang gai = da bao etc)

4) gangsters/gu huat zai?? will we see many like in movies? night market/malls more? will they harras tourists?

(sell to tourist? Safe?)

9) for bring back food if roast pigeon = confiscated , then fishball packed tightly is ok? So must be dried only not fresh?

11) (post 3479, pg 232) hahaha...no matter u want or dont want...upon entering u r asked to take photo with Jackie Chan...LoL..

ta's it for now... brain shutting down, eyes damn pain..... many thanks pls help..... :o
Wow, didnt expect someone to actually read thru the whole thread... but anyway

1. I believe the ppl will still eat chickens/poultry as as far as i know HK has shifted to more "frozen poultry" after the major bird flu outbreak some years ago, instead of majority of live poultry. Do correct me if i am wrong about this.

2. Nowdays its less common to get scolded, especially when u speak chinese. They will treat u very well coz they think mainlanders who visit hk are rich/spend alot. But mainly applies to chinese speaking ppl instead of just mainlanders. But, HK ppl can be tricky, so becareful.

3. Dont really know how to ans the qn, dou zei is more for thanking someone who gave u a present or a gift (thanking someone for something u dont deserve) and mmm koi is more of thanking someone for offering service to u (thanking someone whom took ur order at a resturant)

4. Hahahaha... u watched too much movies, my friend.

8. All shopping centers have toilets, there are some public toilets too, shouldnt be that hard to find.

9. I didnt have problems bring food into sg, as long its not frozen or uncooked food, the customs shld allow u to bring it in. I believe uncooked food is not allowed due to germs it may contain.

al_cupon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

(sell to tourist? Safe?)

Reading 247 pages and im sure u still dun understand HK alittle either..

here is the answer from which u wish to know,

1. I have been eating chicken, duck, goose bla bla bla and i have not got any flu frm those poultry. but HK people if they got flu, they will wear a mask to prevent spreading to others.

2. if you know how to speak cantonese, its a advantage for you but learning now would be a hassle. as for me, i do touch if i intend to buy.. but do not take photos as they will scold u for sure.

3. how to blend is easy. juz dun wear any sg brand there and dress smartly there.. talk when u need to.. other than tat. HK people wont know if you are from china or sg.

4. i do encounter gang fights at some nite stores near temple street and nan-ren-jie.. tho its not easy getting involve in those.. juz walk away will do.

5. factory outlet is at tong-chong or in short called City gate., yes! the adidas store there does temp me alot in getting alot of shoes.

6. for this, i not sure. try and let me know.

7. not sure. wont go there.

8. toilet are everywhere! go shopping centres if u wan it to be clean.

9. i bought back a roasted goose, chicken before and i hand carry it back.. make sure u pack it nicely which make sure it wont drop out.

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok, all yr Qs have been answered by the experts here, so i'll just supplement on Q3:

Even if u r a local Sg cantonese, they can still recognise from your accent and words that u use. Hk Cantonese is the authentic cantonese as in cantonese from Canton (Kwang Tong) China. Our local cantonese tend to be flavoured by mandarin/hokkien/other dialects (Malaysian cantonese is worse!!!). As an eg: how much is this. SG says kei dor lui but HK version is kei dor chin / kei chin for short. Motor local SG says mor tor but HK says mor tar. Transformer we usually just call transformer or just a cantonese translated from english ver but HK says for nou (fire cow!). The list goes on....!!! So, in short, unless u

1) Always speak fluentCantonese at home and yr ealier generation came from Canton/HK

and/or

2) U've been in HK for a period

Chances are, the Hong Kongers will know u r a foreigner even if u speak Cantonese. :o

Last edited:

hotterdog

Reaction score
thank u CharmanderWong, al cupon & thewiseone for e answers. well, i definitely won't claim to know HK a little better but at least better than nothing. it's going to be my 1st trip so just being kiasu... :) so as far as taking pics is concerned can't take e stalls directly... if it's like a street scene like some pics in here show then ok? er, u all took pics of e food, so it's like ok right as in after e waiter walks away etc & shots of e menu etc?

silverx

Reaction score
planning a trip to hk soon and hope that some of u guys might help me out here

1) with the incoming olympics entry to china needs visa will that affect hk (since they kinda suppose to be one)
2) i heard that they are having sales soon too any one knows when are the actual dates?

Thks for ur help in advance,1st time to hk so need advise and help :)

adrielneo

Reaction score
Same Same first time going to Hong Kong... Same as all other posts, wish to know good food, cheaper higher end brands and sports apparells. Read all posts and got confused... Going Hong Kong from 18 June to 30 June anyone going during this period?

al_cupon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
planning a trip to hk soon and hope that some of u guys might help me out here

1) with the incoming olympics entry to china needs visa will that affect hk (since they kinda suppose to be one)
2) i heard that they are having sales soon too any one knows when are the actual dates?

Thks for ur help in advance,1st time to hk so need advise and help :)

their sales is juz like Great Singapore Sales, its from 28 June to 31 Sept.

Its doesnt concern us with the incoming olympics as SG passport is visa free.

juz remember to bring more money there during sales period or risk $5 charge for withdrawing from DBS in HK.

al_cupon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same Same first time going to Hong Kong... Same as all other posts, wish to know good food, cheaper higher end brands and sports apparells. Read all posts and got confused... Going Hong Kong from 18 June to 30 June anyone going during this period?

Everywhere there's good food but problem is bring you own " chilli " if you wanna have something spicy.

Cheaper high end brands u have to go to CityGate (Tong Chong), factory outlet store which serve you everything tat u need. Do not try to go to the Food Republic there as the food totally suck if you dun belive me.

when you reach HK airport and walked out of the arrival hall, First thing to do is to get urself a ezlink card (ba-ta-tong). I got mine and topped up another 300HKD for a week useage travelling up and down in HK

Last edited:

al_cupon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank u CharmanderWong, al cupon & thewiseone for e answers. well, i definitely won't claim to know HK a little better but at least better than nothing. it's going to be my 1st trip so just being kiasu... :) so as far as taking pics is concerned can't take e stalls directly... if it's like a street scene like some pics in here show then ok? er, u all took pics of e food, so it's like ok right as in after e waiter walks away etc & shots of e menu etc?

I took little photos while im in HK, maybe its due to tat the weather is sooo cooling of which i didnt wanted to have memories of how i was freezed there during jan this year.

this is taken in Macau, you will sure to see this kind of crowds everywhere during the weekends,

p1000380kp9.jpg

hotterdog

Reaction score
I took little photos while im in HK, maybe its due to tat the weather is sooo cooling of which i didnt wanted to have memories of how i was freezed there during jan this year.

this is taken in Macau, you will sure to see this kind of crowds everywhere during the weekends,

p1000380kp9.jpg

wah, so crowded!!! then must watch bags & wallets even closer..... :eek:

hotterdog

Reaction score
sorry to be a nag.
1) but how fast does tourist police respond to a complain?

2) (post 3479, pg 232) have to pose w wax figure of jackie chan then made to
pay $. seems like all e tourists made to pay for such shots before they can proceed
further into e museum. (bit like touting) if we ignore & just walk, will we be harrased etc
so this leads back to question 1. thanks.:s12:

demongod

Honorary Member
Reaction score
No such thing nowadays la, jackie chan is just beside the ticketing booth, anybody can just take with him. Hong Kong is very safe nowadays

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.