HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

dolphingalgal

Reaction score
hello...

i'm planning to go Hk this coming August but still havent decide which travel agency to look for...anyone can give me some suggestion??? As this is my first trip to Hk, i'm very very very exciting and panic as dunno what to prepare and plan for...hahahhaa...

so, can i get some value opinion from u guys who have been to HK before? is S$800 - $900/pax consider expensive if the f&e package including half day tour, 1 day disneyland, 1 day macau trip, cathay pacific, west hotel...it's a 5D4N trip. any comments??

hope to get some information from u guys!~!~

thanks in advance loooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............... :s12:

leslielai_

Banned
Reaction score
For HK, no point going for those 1/2 day city tour.

If you're looking at full service airlines (non-budget), don't forget to factor in the taxes when budgeting for your trip. The taxes now should be around $120 for CX.

dolphingalgal

Reaction score
but the half day city tour will cover those famous places like repulse bay, victoria peek, aberdeen and so on..those are the attractive places that we need to visit for the first time..if we go by ourself, means we will waste the transport fee lor...coz we alr paid for the package and the transport will be FOC then..is that true?

lowjk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dolphingalgal said:
but the half day city tour will cover those famous places like repulse bay, victoria peek, aberdeen and so on..those are the attractive places that we need to visit for the first time..if we go by ourself, means we will waste the transport fee lor...coz we alr paid for the package and the transport will be FOC then..is that true?

It sounds very nice but wait
1) You don't really go to the peak of the Peak; just a stop where you do get a nice view of the city. If you go on a busy day, you'll be jostling with other tourists for photos.

ps - the PEAK is probably best visited at twilight as the city starts lighting up. Very nice night view.

2) Aberdeen - it's just a boat ride around the small harbour. At the end of the ride you have to tip the boatperson or he/she will turn nasty. In fact, the one I was on, stopped for tips before she returned to the start point.

No, you do not get to eat the floating restaurants on your city tour.

And it's really not that attractive there.

3) Repulse bay - not bad. Nice view of rich peoples' home.

4) Breakfast - you have to pay for your breakfast; it is not included. About HK$80 per pax and it tastes terrible. Not worth it. A rip-off.

5) One of the stop is at a jewellery factory. Waste your precious time.

You can chose to explore and or to avoid these places on your own. Don't worry about transport. It's extremely easy to get around in HK as signs are in Chinese and in English.
The MTR, Ferry and KCR trains are very easy to use.

Don't be pennywise and pound foolish - not going for the city tour in fact SAVES you money & time.

pop

Master Member
Reaction score
lowjk said:
No, you do not get to eat the floating restaurants on your city tour.

And it's really not that attractive there.

anyone eaten at that Jumbo before? It is so famous I would really like to give it a try for my next visit there. But depends on pricing. Anyone knows?

alamak

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dolphingalgal said:

half day city tour can really skip it..... rather walk on your own.. unless those places are places that you must go.

lowjk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pop said:
anyone eaten at that Jumbo before? It is so famous I would really like to give it a try for my next visit there. But depends on pricing. Anyone knows?

Ate there like what 20 or 30 years ago? Not memorable.
If you want good seafood, try the Golden Bauihinia at HKCC at Wan Chai.

Revolution

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if im not mistaken u needa give a "hongbao" to your tour guide or bus driver for the trip.

as for how much, think its hkd 50/100 per person.

that was what i was told by my tour agent.

Im a roast meats lover....recommend yung kee in central. on the way can have desserts ard the area.

cewongst

Reaction score
pop said:

Oh pls.. dun bother to eat there. The food is really ex and not beri tasty.
Its more for tourists - chop carrot type.

CharmanderWong

Reaction score
dolphingalgal said:
hello...

i'm planning to go Hk this coming August but still havent decide which travel agency to look for...anyone can give me some suggestion??? As this is my first trip to Hk, i'm very very very exciting and panic as dunno what to prepare and plan for...hahahhaa...

so, can i get some value opinion from u guys who have been to HK before? is S$800 - $900/pax consider expensive if the f&e package including half day tour, 1 day disneyland, 1 day macau trip, cathay pacific, west hotel...it's a 5D4N trip. any comments??

hope to get some information from u guys!~!~

thanks in advance loooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............... :s12:
I feel that $800~900(w/o tax) is considered quite steep for ur 5D4N trip, well unless they count ur disneyland ticket in, ur macau to and fro tickets in but thats still abit costly. i did a trip with Cathay and staying tri-sharing in a decent hotel and that cost me around $1k/pax for a 7D6N trip INCLUDING food and transportation. But that was in 2004.

1/2 Day city tour i suggest that u skip it, repulse bay just take abus there, Peak take peak tram and come down on Bus 15 (Nice ride there) and aberdeen, if u are just interested in the fishing village then go and take a look at lamma island instead.

If u get a chance to go Macau, do take a look as its very different from HK.

Thats all for the moment!

P.S - Anyone been to the peak reacently? Has the new building been completed?

lowjk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CharmanderWong said:
if u are just interested in the fishing village then go and take a look at lamma island instead.

To: dolphingalgal
If you happen to go to Lamma Island, do try the deserts @ Lamma Sweet House (G/F, 21 First Street, Sok Kwu Wan, Lamma Island). Their Soufflé Stewed Eggs was awarded best desert in 2004. Then do a field report here and tell us whether it is worth the boat ride there. :s13:

Always wanted to go Lamma Island but never managed to fit it in my schedule. :)

Eviltrap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CharmanderWong said:
I feel that $800~900(w/o tax) is considered quite steep for ur 5D4N trip, well unless they count ur disneyland ticket in, ur macau to and fro tickets in but thats still abit costly. i did a trip with Cathay and staying tri-sharing in a decent hotel and that cost me around $1k/pax for a 7D6N trip INCLUDING food and transportation. But that was in 2004.

1/2 Day city tour i suggest that u skip it, repulse bay just take abus there, Peak take peak tram and come down on Bus 15 (Nice ride there) and aberdeen, if u are just interested in the fishing village then go and take a look at lamma island instead.

If u get a chance to go Macau, do take a look as its very different from HK.

Thats all for the moment!

P.S - Anyone been to the peak reacently? Has the new building been completed?

You mean the shopping centre up at the peak. If so, yes. :)

CharmanderWong

Reaction score
Eviltrap said:
You mean the shopping centre up at the peak. If so, yes. :)
Not the shopping center, the other building, with the viewing mall and the place where the Peak Tram terminates. I walked up the Peak last otober just to find it under renovations.

dolphingalgal

Reaction score
ohh!!~! thanks for all the replies..i think i'll not follow the half day trip loooo...plan to go those places myself..hehe...as to save time and money as well...

but, still dunno which agent to look for ler..as most of them recommend that we pay for the package before June coz the rate might be cheaper if u book earlier..which means..if i gonna go HK in this coming August, i need to pay for the F&E package next month ler...anybody can recommend me some travel agency??? HELP!!!!!

really need to plan for my 5D4N trips...ahahhaa...alr collected those brochures and guide at the Suntec's HK Tourism Board..

tell me more about foods that i MUST eat there and places i MUST visit oooo.....TQTQ!!

Revolution

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dolphingalgal said:
ohh!!~! thanks for all the replies..i think i'll not follow the half day trip loooo...plan to go those places myself..hehe...as to save time and money as well...

but, still dunno which agent to look for ler..as most of them recommend that we pay for the package before June coz the rate might be cheaper if u book earlier..which means..if i gonna go HK in this coming August, i need to pay for the F&E package next month ler...anybody can recommend me some travel agency??? HELP!!!!!

really need to plan for my 5D4N trips...ahahhaa...alr collected those brochures and guide at the Suntec's HK Tourism Board..

tell me more about foods that i MUST eat there and places i MUST visit oooo.....TQTQ!!

Erm dolphingal, since u have not booked your trip.

I recommend.....

Source your own hotel.
I got mine ( 2 paxs) - SGD448 jet star inclusive of taxes (4 days 3 night) - Morning flight to Night flight back.

Hotel - 270 - SGD 90 per night for 3 nights twin sharing.

total is SGD 718 for 4 days 3 nights F&E tour.

Places i recommend:

Mongkok - Fa yuen street, ladies mkt, argyle centre (spell check).
(personal preference)

Wan chai if u have a IT boyfriend ...=:p

Central for Yung Kee's roast pigeon & goose.
on the way can go to Peak if u into sight seeing

Shen Zhen's Luo Hu shopping centre - cheap footwear for ladies.
(u be on a spree there. cheap n good.)

All this is just imho, your mileage might vary.
(me n my missus are shopping couple hence not really into sight seeing)

In any case you would like an agent, u can try 94303028 (Edward)
Got $650 /pax last year on a 5 day 4 night trip (Eaton hotel)
PS: no way related to the agent, but got gd service from him before hence just wanted to share.

Lastly, where is the suntec hongkong tourism board.....heading there for some maps.
Cheerios.

CharmanderWong

Reaction score
Hey Revolution,

HKTB @ Suntec is here:

9 Temasek Boulevard
#34-03 Suntec Tower Two
Singapore 038989
Tel: 6336 5800
Fax: 6336 5811

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HK i doubt u need togo for a tour agency lor
its soo small too
just read up on tour book at library
or goto HKTB @ Suntec
:D

that way u saved alot of $$ and time too
since tour agency mostly bring u those place maybe its not interesteing too
and waste of time
unless u need togo some ulu place in china

ascdf13

Master Member
Reaction score
to all,

just returned from hk last nite...went there for 8d7n..took the SQ two to fly promo with is less than 400/pax incl taxes.but spent close to 2.5k which is mostly on clothes and bird nest :)

places to recomend

1) fa yuen street (spent 3 days there) which my gf bought lots of things there :(
2) langham place must take the escalator from the 4th to 8th and the 13th flr at nite which has a nice view of the building...
3) go to kwan tung mtr station which has a trendy shopping centre call apm
4) the sports wear street
5) the sai kong dessert shops - high class dessert shops - recomend for its nice mango dessert
6) xu lai san dessert - mostly can be found at mongkok..
7) espirt outlet stores - for all the cheap and nice espirt wear... spend 1k there
8) if there is the time can try to watch a movie there - watched election 2 there but price is abt S$12 there compare to S$9.50 here
9) for meal wise, the portions given are always quite huge, if u are a small eater can share with someone else

can only remember these at the moment , gotten to ask my gf wht else we did there then can update

enjoy ur stay at hk where u eat to shop and shop to eat non stop from 10am till 11pm (thats wht i did for the past 7days) :p :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.