I just came back from HK.. Ask me anything.

quackerjack

Master Member
Reaction score
im quite surprised that a bowl of maggie mee and a slice of luncheon meat can cost you ard 5 sing.. :(

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im quite surprised that a bowl of maggie mee and a slice of luncheon meat can cost you ard 5 sing.. :(

yea .... always breakfast go to prudential hotel and eat. cause weekdays got 50% off lol ... more worth haha .

richey

Master Member
Reaction score

maggi and three slices of luncheon meat set me around 3plus at bluecoral.

Anyway if you are into electronics, they say camera are cheaper in HK. i myself am not too sure, cause usually i go there for a short getaway with the mindset to leave SG for some fun.

As a traveller mindset, i spend while i can. While i was in UK, a can of coke was 3 bucks my friend,via vending machine.

Cheers to all, and a HAPPY NEW YEAR

yukari_san3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i pretty much give up looking for anything cheap in hk. because nothing is cheap.

just enjoy my time there.

happy new year to u too

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) reached there about 1pm.

played all the exciting rides. queued for about 45 minutes for each ride.
crowd is really a KILLER.

fireworks starts at 8pm at the main square. it was nice but its very very very packed. had trouble going home. you'll see ;)

yeah no need to queue to buy tickets. just enter directly.

2) one hour on big buddha. 20 minutes on cable car. boring as hell there and the shops are a rip-off.

so dont buy anything

what u expect from the big buddha area? lol... praying is never exciting.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i cant imagine people saying hk is cheap or "cheaper".

even luxury goods is not cheaper there seriously

its cheaper there definitely, based on xchange rate. i wonder what makes u say its not cheaper there?

i bought a BV wallet there, after conversion is only $500+ , local retail @ close to $700.

or u expected way cheaper?

xXboxXx

Reaction score
For branded goods, most but not all are cheaper in Hong Kong. And yes, camera stuff are generally cheaper over there.

quackerjack

Master Member
Reaction score
maggi and three slices of luncheon meat set me around 3plus at bluecoral.

Anyway if you are into electronics, they say camera are cheaper in HK. i myself am not too sure, cause usually i go there for a short getaway with the mindset to leave SG for some fun.

As a traveller mindset, i spend while i can. While i was in UK, a can of coke was 3 bucks my friend,via vending machine.

Cheers to all, and a HAPPY NEW YEAR

yeah i bought a lens while i was there.. price ard 30% cheaper compared to sg.. but on the average a normal meal cost me 5 sing at least.. mac is cheaper there tho :o

richey

Master Member
Reaction score
yeah i bought a lens while i was there.. price ard 30% cheaper compared to sg.. but on the average a normal meal cost me 5 sing at least.. mac is cheaper there tho :o

Mac double over here is $2. Down there is $1.50 sgd
Big Mac meal over here is $6.50. Down there is $4.30sgd.

sars8888

Master Member
Reaction score
HK nowadays will not be considered as a shopping paradise already. The rental kill.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mac double over here is $2. Down there is $1.50 sgd
Big Mac meal over here is $6.50. Down there is $4.30sgd.

Mac very cheap there lol. big breakfast at airport mac is 26 HKD or 4+ plus with drinks such as coffee or soya bean lol :)

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mcd is crap food

wanna eat mcd just stay here and eat

I make it a point to try MCD everywhere I go, sorta like a big mac index as well. MCD tastes different worldwide, with different varieties to suit the local market as well.

scenium

Reaction score
Is using the HKD1000 note still a issue among the night market and shopping mall due to the recent counterfeit notes.

lousylah

Reaction score
Mac very cheap there lol. big breakfast at airport mac is 26 HKD or 4+ plus with drinks such as coffee or soya bean lol :)

Mac's is about the cheapest food you can find in HK. That and the localisation (rice, soup pasta, soya bean, etc) helps them compete with local cafes. I feel the local's taste buds/palate is quite fixed - not open to anything too "foreign"

I make it a point to try MCD everywhere I go, sorta like a big mac index as well. MCD tastes different worldwide, with different varieties to suit the local market as well.

I was quite surprised how bad Mac's was in North America (home of Fast Food!) :s22:

Of most Asian countries I have been, SG is the only place without rice on the regular menu.

Also fried chicken in MY (kfc or mac's) is better than in SG.

HK nowadays will not be considered as a shopping paradise already. The rental kill.

rent is indeed mad but competition is intense here. high end brands are available EVERYWHERE. even in "heartland" malls in Shatin, Kowloon Bay you will find Zara, Mango, H&M, etc.

Imagine a retail market with departmental stores like I.T. and Lane Crawford that only stock high fashion (Armani, Versace, etc).

HK males find it odd SG males rave about tailored outfits. for them why bother when all the brands and variety are so easily accessible (price and location).

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was quite surprised how bad Mac's was in North America (home of Fast Food!) :s22:

Of most Asian countries I have been, SG is the only place without rice on the regular menu.

Also fried chicken in MY (kfc or mac's) is better than in SG.

Don't remember the Mac's being bad in North America although I stayed there for 3+ years. I for one don't find the chicken in MY better maybe because I only eat breast meat :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.