Some HK Food Pics + Buffets

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
10. Roasted Goose @ 一樂燒鵝

Now for some food from the Central area.

Roasted goose is a 'must try' for HK. Most ppl will recommend Yung Kee, but i opted for Yat Lok ... well, it was featured on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations afterall :s13:
K2Q1LXC.jpg

Was told a good roast goose should be plump, juicy with tender meat and crispy skin ... so good that you won’t be able to stop eating :eek: *real or not?*

Left leg also supposed to be tastier than the right cos the goose stands with the right leg ... so left leg less exercise, less muscular = more tender n juicy ... fatty ... oilier :s8:

The poor geese ...
I saw the chef unplugging a goose, n a hell lot of juices gushed out of the orifice ... at least i hope its juices :s13:
uHC3Xad.jpg

Ordered this by mistake ... tot its roasted goose drumstick noodles. Oh well ...
zgvJIUQ.jpg

Not shiok. I wan my fatty, oily, decadently, sinful DRUM!!!
Soup n noodles not bad, but frankly, tink i was too fixated on the drum, so i did not really pay too much attention to the soup n noodles :o

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So i tried again ... this time using the unfalliable, time honoured universal body language ...

Tada! Bullseye!
xmyAPPP.jpg

Duck tends to have a gamey taste/smell (or stinky, 鸭臊味, for those who dun like it) compared to chicken. Was worried that goose even more so. Luckily this is not the case. The only smell you have to worry abt is the charred fragrant of the goose :s13:
kbtfg1f.jpg

Just look at tat. A thin layer of crispy golden brown skin.
yrHQJsU.jpg

and underneath tat are the fats :love:
rGZPBxl.jpg

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So is the goose good? *takes out checklist*
Nice crispy skin? ... checked!
Plump n juicy? ... checked!
Tender meat? ... Well, the goose meat is not tender, but not tough too. Okay lar. It certainly taste richer ... more flavourful compared to duck, not doubt helped in part by the fats too.

So, is it so good that you won’t be able to stop eating? Well, not really. Its like a nicer deluxe version of roasted duck :D More flavour n fattier. But its not cheap too wor. That roasted goose drumstick costed me around S$14 :eek: Its worth a try at least once, but i wouldn't pay tat kinda of price for it lor ... its just not 'S$14 a drum' kinda of nice :s22:

Oh yea, dunno if its left or right leg. My canto sucks ... already ordered wrongly once, so did not try to ask if its right or left. Wait he tot i asking abt his sexual orientation or something =:p

Click for goggle map :-
Yat Lok Roasted Goose (一樂燒鵝)
34-38 Stanley Street, Central
Ph: +852 2524 3882
Directions:- From Central MTR, via exit D2. Turn left into Theatre Lane to Queen's Road Central. Then turn right into D'aguilar St to Stanley St

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
11. Tomato Broth Noodles n 脆脆s @ Sing Heung Yuen (勝香園)

Very nostalgic ...
5wAmJcS.jpg

Just loved the setting ... saw so times in HK movies, now really get to experience it first hand ... just like in the movies :s12: ... all tats missing is some 黑色会 gun fight or something :s13: ... n of cos aircon for a hot sweltering day ...
zxYHlBl.jpg

First up, their famous tomato broth with instant noodles/marconi with beef/chicken/sausage/egg *watever makes you tick*. I ordered the beef noodles in tomato broth.
SnulbrR.jpg

Noodles ... errr ... nothing much to say ... its instant noodles lor, not overcooked? :s13:
The tomato broth not bad. Its slightly sourish n appetising. Its tomato taste is not bland or artifical tasting. Overall, not 'wow' std, but certainly enjoyable enough.

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
脆脆 (crispy crispy .. yeah, literally :D )
Its basically bun toasted repeatedly til its crispy with a large varieties of spreads. As its name implies, it simply crumbled in my mouth :s13:

Simple ... yet addictive. Munch, munch, munch, drink a sip of their milk tea, then munch again ... oops, before you know it, all 3-4 pieces gone :s13: If you like crispy, fragrant n sweet stuff, you will love this.

This is the peanut butter + condensed milk chui chui *dun bother abt your calorie count ... just eat =:p )
xp96Aca.jpg

This one is the lemon with honey spread *i tink ... they have so many varieties of spreads*
S2ypLSc.jpg

zPkoOXu.jpg

For the ambiance n authentic simple HK roadside fare, definitely worth a try!

Sing Heung Yuen (勝香園)
2 Mei Lun Street, Central
Directions:- From Central MTR, via exit D2.

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No ... did not have dolphin ... sashimi or grilled ... just post for fun. Took this at Ocean Park ...
FNoHO0Q.jpg

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I still love Hong Kong-style breakfast. I fell in love with it when I visited Hong Kong last year's January. :)

Kahlan

Master Member
Reaction score
So is the goose good? *takes out checklist*
Nice crispy skin? ... checked!
Plump n juicy? ... checked!
Tender meat? ... Well, the goose meat is not tender, but not tough too. Okay lar. It certainly taste richer ... more flavourful compared to duck, not doubt helped in part by the fats too.

So, is it so good that you won’t be able to stop eating? Well, not really. Its like a nicer deluxe version of roasted duck :D More flavour n fattier. But its not cheap too wor. That roasted goose drumstick costed me around S$14 :eek: Its worth a try at least once, but i wouldn't pay tat kinda of price for it lor ... its just not 'S$14 a drum' kinda of nice :s22:

Oh yea, dunno if its left or right leg. My canto sucks ... already ordered wrongly once, so did not try to ask if its right or left. Wait he tot i asking abt his sexual orientation or something =:p

Yat Lok Roasted Goose (一樂燒鵝)
34-38 Stanley Street, Central
Ph: +852 2524 3882
Directions:- From Central MTR, via exit D2. Turn left into Theatre Lane to Queen's Road Central. Then turn right into D'aguilar St to Stanley St

Toons, is the drum bigger than the roasted duck you have at Forest? In any case I agree with you it's not cheap $14. maybe cause this is the more famous one that's why it's so ex?

Anyone else knows if it is cheaper alternative elsewhere?

Joelleyuan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey Toons i thought the most famous thing at 勝香園 is their MILKTEA? izzit that great?
worth the hassle to find my way there?

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Toons, is the drum bigger than the roasted duck you have at Forest? In any case I agree with you it's not cheap $14. maybe cause this is the more famous one that's why it's so ex?

Anyone else knows if it is cheaper alternative elsewhere?

Yes, abt 10-20% bigger. Yung Kee like even more exp :eek:

Hey Toons i thought the most famous thing at 勝香園 is their MILKTEA? izzit that great?
worth the hassle to find my way there?

Their tomato broth n chui chuis are their signature items i believe. But i read tat their milk tea also not bad. I had the milk tea too, but i'm not a fan of milk tea, so i did not pay too much attention to it. Can't really recall if its smooth n fragrant or not, but it is definitely not bitter or '苦涩'.

Errr, the food is not fantastic, but decent. Basically, its just very crispy toasted bun with spreads n instant noodles in pleasant tasting tomato broth afterall, but its the whole package of having a nice simple HK meal at a traditional 大排档, tat appeals to me.

Nowadays, i believe tat such traditional 大排档s are slowly dying off ... so its definitely worth a trip there for me ... plus i usually whack 3-4 eateries in the same area at 1 go, so its not as if i specially travel all the way there.

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
12. Dinner Buffet @ Harbour Restaurant, The Harbourview Hotel

The other buffet i had in HK. I chose this one becos of the grilled Angus beef short ribs korean Style n teriyaki Wagyu beef cubes. Yea, i love my 'moo moo' :s13:

The sashimi n raw seafood corner.

Sake sashimi. Nice.
UOBHhHm.jpg

Slightly soft, but still got a hint of sweetness. Still nice.
EKiaWzo.jpg

Amaebi ... sweet =:p Nice x3
KeqV9wp.jpg

Fresh n sweet seafood. Good start :D

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Grill station
Just take pic for fun ... with all tat delicious looking meats on display, who cares abt vegs :s13:
LQFTUFb.jpg

The chef there can't really speak english or chinese, so when i asked wat meats are the 2 skewers, she just said 'gai' ... turns out she is right, but 1 of them is some chicken innards ... prolly balls or something considering its taste :(
j1aEQaL.jpg

qlyhl4O.jpg

:love: come to papa!
8bZULxP.jpg

D3Wlia7.jpg

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

kSKaXdH.jpg

Lamb
7ZMGqHg.jpg

This is the teriyaki wagyu beef cubes. Some are slightly overcooked, but most of them are delicious with that rich, fatty taste characteristic of wagyu. Check out the fats!
WeuxtkQ.jpg

Looks gloss, but nice wor :s8:
YDAVMvK.jpg

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some misc stuff ...

Crab meat with steamed egg. Sweet n fresh crab meat with silky smooth steamed egg ...
Ek7psvb.jpg

ZBC0Rzp.jpg

NnAoMqE.jpg

HK might be the land of dim sum, but i'm glad to report that the universal law of buffet dim sum still applies ... they SUCK! :s13:
jPMyvDk.jpg

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Grilled snow crab legs ... stick with chilled one better. Due to the shell, the meat dun really get the charred fragrance from the grilling n it actually gets drier. No point.
ZoxHBKu.jpg

iDSl8oH.jpg

Took some scallops for grilling :D
KhAcZWo.jpg

The light grilling actually made the scallops firmer n more fragrant. Should have done this earlier!
LH1YNRG.jpg

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Desserts quite ordinary. I prefer dark choc n durian, n neither of them were in the spread. So just ate a few bowls of the ice cream. The bean curd was good though. Silky smooth n tasty.

Piwp1oA.jpg

bsHiOiD.jpg

Quite pretty hor? Did not try though.
RvW5A1U.jpg

Oh yea, its an intl buffet, so you get your usual salad, appertisers, cheese platter, breads, coffee n tea, cakes, fruits etc. Some of the other food like the ginseng chicken soup, braised pork trotters also quite nice although the deep-fried Berkshire Black Gold pork chop is disappointingly ordinary. Ambience is quite okay n service is good.

Price is HKD$398. After 20% buffet club discount, n 10% service charge, abt SGD $58 nett. Not exactly cheap, but for the 16 scallops n numerous slabs of wagyu tat i murdered :s22:, i feel its worth it. I certainly enjoyed myself there. Came out stuffed like a pig =:p

Harbour Restaurant, The Harbourview Hotel
4 Harbour Road
Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Ph: +852 2802 0111
Directions:- From Wan Chai MTR, via exit C

Or you can take a scenic route via the Star Ferry n alight at Wan Chai Ferry Pier b4 walking to The Harbourview. Just be careful not to confuse the Renaissance Harbour View hotel with The Harbourview like i did :o

Harbour Restaurant Website

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.