HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[REVIEW] My SGD $19.55 K3 DVB-T2 TV Box

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
High Supremacy Member

[REVIEW] My SGD $19.55 K3 DVB-T2 TV Box

A short background why i got this DVB-T2 box...

Got my mum a cheap new Philips 32" HD Ready TV after her Panasonic CRT TV passed on last year. However, this TV only comes with analogue TV tuner. We could have gotten a similar model with DVB-T2 tuner but it will burn another $100+ which she felt too pricey. Especially since she will only watch for a few hours after coming home from work and doesn't mind lower PQ, and most importantly, not worth for lousy mediacorpse shows.

Then still, analogue TV signal will cease transmission by end of next year. So her TV will still require a separate DVB-T2 tuner to continue receiving local TV shows after 2017.

However, MDA endorsed DVB-T2 boxes sold at local retailers are simply too pricey and lousy. And i felt such simple box can be gotten for a fraction of the cost. Hence, this leads me to hunt for such TV box....

Doing a simple search on Taobao, AliExpress, eBay, Qoo10 reveal its wide availability and affordability. However, locals need to look out for DVB-T2 v1.3.1 in specification to ensure TV box's compatibility to receive local FTA HD channels.

There are K2, K3 variants but it seems that they only differ cosmetically. Cheapest listing on AliExpress starts from SGD24. I've gotten from Qoo10 despite higher quotation since i have other stuffs to hoot and only pays for $19 after usage of coupons and Qpoints.

It took roughly 9 days to reach which i felt rather fast considering shipping is free. Probably shipment fee is already hidden inside the cost price but oh wells, still cheap.

Nevertheless, here's my sub-$20 K3 DVB-T2 TV box:

Fairly straight forward box and package content:

Noted that antenna is not included here.

To my surprise, this box is smaller than expectation. Size roughly of a typical hand.
See comparison with my G602 mouse:

Buyers will need a separate antenna to receive TV channels. Hence, i took out my DIY passive TV antenna which i've made 2 years back finally putting to good use here.

Setup also very straight forward.

First i am greeted by a "3D DVB-T2" logo splash screen followed by this.

Something i wouldn't expect but Singapore is available as a regional option on this box!

Takes about 5 mins for a full spectrum channel scan:

[Continued on next post]
MacClipper likes this.

Last edited by MoneyFace =p; 05-10-2016 at 08:14 PM..
MoneyFace =p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Tada~!

EPG is working as well!

And DVB-T2 reception is definitely awesome given i had my window shutted. Reception from a DIY passive antenna somemore!

Have read from other K2 box buyer's account that they can't get subtitles to work. Mainly because they couldn't find "Chinese" as a subtitle option.

However, playing around with the subtitles function reveals that non-supported subtitle language will be named "undefined" and will still works. Fortunately, Mediacorpse is still using hard coded subs hence wouldn't affect subs rendering for unsupported languages. Just not sure how it will affect Chinese words rendering if they ever switch to soft subs.

Conclusion:

Pros
-Cheap: Where else can you find such box under 20 bucks? Can tell local retailers to go fly kite~
-Simple to use
-No video artifact
-Decent audio output: No hollow sounding audio as experienced with other DVB-T2 boxes.
-Supports EPG, subtitles and USB recording (yet to test but will do it in the near future)
-LED screen to display current channel
-Small and compact

Cons
-Primitive user interface
-Runs relatively warm after few hours
-No official mandarin chinese subtitles despite having support for Singapore

Personal comment:
Good Buy, Best Buy, Must Buy! Mai tu liao only $19!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

How comes no HD under the channel number? Mine K2 box has all except channel U. Or beco TV is HD Ready only?
jtjt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
High Supremacy Member

How comes no HD under the channel number? Mine K2 box has all except channel U. Or beco TV is HD Ready only?
TV content blurring out the logo.

Here's a clearer one:

jq75 likes this.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
Master Member

Thanks for sharing. Local retailers' markup pichar lobang already.

Can we change the channel numbers assigned from the auto channel search e.g. 001 Ch 5 (HD), 002 Suria (HD), 003 Ch 8 (HD)?

Last edited by ykgoh; 05-10-2016 at 09:44 PM..
ykgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Should be can, as done in my K2 box.
jtjt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

Yr signal strength 60plus only cmi... Try other antenna from ebay
Nakedtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
High Supremacy Member

Thanks for sharing. Local retailers' markup pichar lobang already.

Can we change the channel numbers assigned from the auto channel search e.g. 001 Ch 5 (HD), 002 Suria (HD), 003 Ch 8 (HD)?
Yes you do but not the usual direct way and no way to skip number. Cos the only way to do is to shuffle according to your desired sequence. For me i follow SCV's order.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
High Supremacy Member

Yr signal strength 60plus only cmi... Try other antenna from ebay
If you have really read what i've posted:

1. I am using a DIY $2 passive antenna

2. Window is shutted

3. Room is facing neighbourhood interior not main road

And digital signal does not matter whether it is 100% or 50% cos it cliffs around 30-40%.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #10
High Supremacy Member

If you have really read what i've posted:

1. I am using a DIY $2 passive antenna

2. Window is shutted

3. Room is facing neighbourhood interior not main road

And digital signal does not matter whether it is 100% or 50% cos it cliffs around 30-40%.
Nvm u song can liaoz.. I change to the antenna I bought from ebay I got consistent 100%.. Previously using diy antenna too only 80% strength.
Nakedtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Nvm u song can liaoz.. I change to the antenna I bought from ebay I got consistent 100%.. Previously using diy antenna too only 80% strength.
share eBay link pls thanks
Stallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #12

share Qoo10 link pls thanks
dnlei123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #13
High Supremacy Member

I don't see a point to spending more just to get that 20% boost which makes no absolute difference for digital signal. Plus, i can now achieve 78% signal strength and quality by optimising the DIY antenna position.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #14
High Supremacy Member

share Qoo10 link pls thanks
Do a search on "K3 DVB" and you'll find many listings there. AliExpress can be a better option if you have coupons to offset. 11.11 coming so....
Old 06-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #15

I'll worry if it runs relatively warm since I have 2 such China DVB-T2 boxes that burn out because of the heat. It's either the power supply overheated or the ICs burn out. It happeneppd during warranty of one year and I changed twice, new one still hot. Given up hope and use it infrequently now.
azbyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.