HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

5 reasons why QLED, not OLED, might be the future of TVs!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #31
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes true, is buyer decision but spending so much on QLED that itís nothing new like not value for money.

If one connect box is good, why only Q series has it? And not all Samsung models?
This kind of debate is meaningless else there would not be people buying OLED when the price is some much different from current LED/LCD TV.

For the group of people who appericate technology. Price is usually not the primary consideration. Else there would not be people jump in when new procut is launched from day one.

You kind of conflicting within your own ideal. Sure, one connect box technically can be in every model. But price? Does it match your concept of value for money and if everyone need the same design?
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

What’s your point?
Answer is simple, the technology is not originally from Sony. (How Sony name it - yes).

You should know, manufacturer like Sony, Panasonic does not make their own panel anymore.

Even for LG or Samsung. Not all series of TV used panel manufacture by there own. If you dont believe it, open up the TV and check it.

All you are paying is the brand name.
Old 31-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #33

Answer is simple, the technology is not originally from Sony. (How Sony name it - yes).

You should know, manufacturer like Sony, Panasonic does not make their own panel anymore.

Even for LG or Samsung. Not all series of TV used panel manufacture by there own. If you dont believe it, open up the TV and check it.

Most of the panels may be from a limited number of factories but the video chip and algorithms are what makes the difference.
The number of LEDs and other finer details also differ.
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
Arch-Supremacy Member

Perhaps his aim is to inform instead of entertain.

Although what each of us finds entertaining/interesting is totally subjective.

Precisely. This reviewer is definitely out of job if he were to come to sg to work. Not a moment of stirring up the interest of viewers to the products he was explaining. He was saying the obvious facts, LPPL.
trickle_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #35

I find your comments really patronising. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure I've better knowledge then you on this topic.

My sony uses a rarer 240Hz PSA panel that is similar to PVA, I doubt it's from Samsung. Even Samsung doesn't always manufacture it's own panels. My previous Samsung uses panels from AUO. They outsource because they choose to focus on other aspects of the technology.

But that's besides the point.

The panel type and quality is important. But it isn't everything.
Case in point - LG supplies oled panels to it's competitors including Sony.But after you factor in Sony's technology in video processing, the resultant product that Sony produces using LG's panels could be superior to LG's own flagship offerings.

Regardless, I suggest you take the marketing hype with a pinch of salt.
The reason why samsung pushes the so called "Qled", is obvious to anyone following display technology over the last few years.

Samsung lost the oled war, as it could not bring its oled manufacturing technology to match the yield of LG's. Given the rivalry with LG, Samsung is obviously reluctant to procure LG's oled panels. Without its own oled panels, Samsung had no choice but to repackage existing quantum dot led/lcd technology, and market this as something that is oled sounding, hence qled.

Samsung obviously hopes that the unassuming consumer will get confused, and start to think that qled is something that could be 'equivalent' to LG's oled. If samsung had continued to sell its TVs as just plain old LEDs, they might lose market share, and perhaps more importantly, deal with the embarrassment of not having it's own self-emissive panel TV.

But surely we should know better. Can led/lcd panels, with or without quantum dots, produce a good picture? Obviously there are still some benefits - no burn-in, higher levels of brightness exceeding 1,000 nits giving more headroom to handle HDR without a need for tone mapping, and so on. But ultimately, to achieve comparable contrasts without sacrificing details, you need a high zone count FALD, like Sony's ZD9. Can samsung match up? Yes, if it stops fooling around with its HDR eotf, and increase its dimming zones on its led TVs, coupled with its non-reflective technology + newly achieved wider viewing angles, perhaps. But until then, Sony to me, is still king when it comes to led/lcd TVs.
lxxjhe and xiangzeng like this.

Last edited by congster2; 31-05-2018 at 04:42 PM..
congster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #36

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Yes.
Mscheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #37

I find your comments really patronising. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure I've better knowledge then you on this topic.

My sony uses a rarer 240Hz PSA panel that is similar to PVA, I doubt it's from Samsung. Even Samsung doesn't always manufacturer it's own panels. My previous samsung uses panels from AUO. They outsource because they choose to focus on other aspects of the technology.

Case in point - LG supplies oled panels to it's competitors including Sony.But after you factor in Sony's technology in video processing, the resultant product that Sony produces using LG's panels could be superior to LG's own flagship offerings.

The reason why samsung pushes the so called "Qled", is obvious to anyone following display technology over the last few years.

Samsung lost the oled war, as it could not bring its oled manufacturing technology to match the yield of LG's. Given the rivalry with LG, Samsung is obviously reluctant to procure LG's oled panels. Without its own oled panels, Samsung had no choice but to repackage existing quantum dot led/lcd technology, and market this as something that is oled sounding, hence qled.

Samsung obviously hopes that the unassuming consumer will get confused, and start to think that qled is something that could be 'equivalent' to LG's oled. If samsung had continued to sell its TVs as just plain old LEDs, they might lose market share, and perhaps more importantly, deal with the embarrassment of not having it's own self-emissive panel TV.

But surely we should know better. Can led/lcd panels, with or without quantum dots, produce a good picture? Obviously there are still some benefits - no burn-in, higher levels of brightness exceeding 1,000 nits giving more headroom to handle HDR without a need for tone mapping, and so on. But ultimately, to achieve comparable contrasts without sacrificing details, you need a high zone count FALD, like Sony's ZD9. Can samsung match up? Yes, if it stops fooling around with its HDR eotf, and increase its dimming zones on its led TVs, coupled with its non-reflective technology + newly achieved wider viewing angles, perhaps. But until then, Sony to me, is still king when it comes to led/lcd TVs.
This is the main reason I chose to buy Sony 55x8500E this month. Not top of range but decent to let me watch tv and youtube at value price. This tv has good picture quality. I had thought of buying LG 55UK7500PTA at $2299 but I decided to buy this tv instead.
xiangzeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #38

This is the main reason I chose to buy Sony 55x8500E this month. Not top of range but decent to let me watch tv and youtube at value price. This tv has good picture quality. I had thought of buying LG 55UK7500PTA at $2299 but I decided to buy this tv instead.
Yes. I thought that overall, the average PQ has gone up, and prices, relative to size, have gone down. 10 years ago, 55" was considered very large, but today it's mainsteam. So mainstream TVs today are quite good. I recently bought an entry level 55" Samsung for my parents, for casual viewing. Even then, I thought the PQ was quite decent and blacks were respectable, when fed with a HD signal.

I'm just waiting for another 2-3 years or so, when my Sony is about 7-8 years old, then perhaps I can start looking around for another TV. Jury is out on whether it would be an oled, led, or some kind of new technology. Size wise, there is more certainty - definitely need to go up.

Last edited by congster2; 31-05-2018 at 04:52 PM..
congster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #39
Arch-Supremacy Member

My sony uses a rarer 240Hz PSA panel that is similar to PVA, I doubt it's from Samsung. Even Samsung doesn't always manufacture it's own panels. My previous Samsung uses panels from AUO. They outsource because they choose to focus on other aspects of the technology.

You can google to find PSA panel. It is Samsung indeed.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1294904-samsung-panel-version-thread-34.html#/topics/1294904?page=207

Is know that maker may not use panel that manufacture in their own factory especially on low end TV, these are mainly for cost reason. But usually these are from their supplier they have invested.

You should search back history Samsung-Sony relation in developing LCD panel. Just like LG-Philips case.

Last edited by cscs3; 01-06-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Old 01-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #40

No wonder Sony TVs been going downhill in terms of reliability.
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #41
Arch-Supremacy Member

No wonder Sony TVs been going downhill in terms of reliability.
To be fair, most Japanese brand are going down.
They no longer stay front in term of technology. After the so call join venture and technology transfer, Korean and Chinese partners stay ahead in development and push to market with cheaper and better products.

No different in Philips case I guess.

Also, not to forget first to push out to market does not necessary means they are the developer. Sometime, the original developer has other consideration eg, price to market etc. Each brand has their product positioning consideration.

As I mentioned, who will win is yet to know. First to market not necessary means it will be the final winner.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #42

To be fair, most Japanese brand are going down.
They no longer stay front in term of technology. After the so call join venture and technology transfer, Korean and Chinese partners stay ahead in development and push to market with cheaper and better products.

No different in Philips case I guess.

Also, not to forget first to push out to market does not necessary means they are the developer. Sometime, the original developer has other consideration eg, price to market etc. Each brand has their product positioning consideration.

As I mentioned, who will win is yet to know. First to market not necessary means it will be the final winner.
I think Sony is re-entering the market and gaining strong momentum after massive bleeding in the TV biz for past years...they finally found their key strength in TV making and no longer go on pricing but rather focusing deeply on true PQ than some marketing gimmicks which the korean and chinese brands are working on.

For Samsung, i guess there are some strong strategic reasons for not going full fledge into OLED...hence using QLED to counter the competition at current. TBH, I don't think is cos of its technology incapability or inefficiency issues in producing OLED panels...if they wants to..they can easily use money to acquire some 3rd party panel companies in China; they are financially strong!

For Philips in the Asia market....while, they are just like some 2nd tier china TV companies....the Taiwanese parent just looking for volume and profit only; milking as much profit from mkt b4 the dutch decided to end their brand license with them....so they are just looking at prices. And truly a market follower!

Upcoming key players...brands like Hisense and Sharp should be uprising. Hisense is now 1 of the top few brands in the Aussie markets...and their product line up is very impressive. Sharp's parent is Foxsconn....one of the rich guys in the market...if Foxsconn decided to focus on TV market...Sharp can be re-enter the market strongly. Now u can see them (Sharp TV) appearing as sponsorship in major popular TV shows in China...But still not sure, Foxsconn acquiring them mainly to tap on their panel making facitlities and know how or ....if there any other plans...

Last edited by bleonz; 01-06-2018 at 01:17 PM..
bleonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #43
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think Sony is re-entering the market and gaining strong momentum after massive bleeding in the TV biz for past years...they finally found their key strength in TV making and no longer go on pricing but rather focusing deeply on true PQ than some marketing gimmicks which the korean and chinese brands are working on.

For Samsung, i guess there are some strong strategic reasons for not going full fledge into OLED...hence using QLED to counter the competition at current. TBH, I don't think is cos of its technology incapability or inefficiency issues in producing OLED panels...if they wants to..they can easily use money to acquire some 3rd party panel companies in China; they are financially strong!

For Philips in the Asia market....while, they are just like some 2nd tier china TV companies....the Taiwanese parent just looking for volume and profit only; milking as much profit from mkt b4 the dutch decided to end their brand license with them....so they are just looking at prices.
Good break down.
bleonz likes this.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #44

Upcoming key players...brands like Hisense and Sharp should be uprising. Hisense is now 1 of the top few brands in the Aussie markets...and their product line up is very impressive.

Sharp's parent is Foxsconn FC....one of the rich guys in the market...if one day, FC decided to focus on TV market...Sharp will re-enter the market strongly. Now u can see them (Sharp TV) appearing as sponsorship in major popular TV shows in China...But still not sure, FC acquiring them mainly to tap on their panel making facilities and know-how or ....if theres any other plans...have to wait and see....but Sharp, definetely has the biggest potential to be the next big player in the market.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:33 AM   #45

Upcoming key players...brands like Hisense and Sharp should be uprising. Hisense is now 1 of the top few brands in the Aussie markets...and their product line up is very impressive.

Sharp's parent is Foxsconn FC....one of the rich guys in the market...if one day, FC decided to focus on TV market...Sharp will re-enter the market strongly. Now u can see them (Sharp TV) appearing as sponsorship in major popular TV shows in China...But still not sure, FC acquiring them mainly to tap on their panel making facilities and know-how or ....if theres any other plans...have to wait and see....but Sharp, definetely has the biggest potential to be the next big player in the market.
As you may know, Sharps already bought over by Taiwanese company Foxcomm. Their TV is basically dead. Their focusing area is now marking LCD panel for smaller devices eg for handphone.

Brand like Sony, Sharp and even Panasonic reenter market by using OEM panel and manufacturing facility. One good example is Panasonic into OLED TV. Is not a suprise as number of their series are using same panel as LG.
limpingsim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.