50 to 65" LED / OLED / LCD TV discussion thread III [consolidated]

fameasser84

Reaction score
Guys, what is THE TV (55" or 65") to get at 2k budget range? Is it worth forgoing a higher spec 55" for 65" at the price bracket?

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Xiaomi released the Xiaomi Mi TV Master, also known as Mi TV Lux 65″ OLED. It's a 65" OLED that has a price tag of US$1840 which translates to roughly SG$2527.

The 120Hz 65” panel supports variable refresh rate (VRR). Since it comes with HDMI 2.1 built-in.
There is also Automatic Low Latency Mode (ALLM) that puts latency down to 1ms (GtG) response time, 1000 nits peak brightness, and support for every HDR standard (Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR and HLG)
It also comes with the HDMI 2.1 standard, eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) and 32-channel PCM for high-bit rate 3D surround sound signals directly to other speakers via HDMI.

The whole thing is driven by a Mediatek MT9650 chipset with a quad-core CPU and Mali-G52 MC1 GPU. Memory is 3/32 GB, and ports include three HDMI, two USB, S/PDIF, LAN, there is support for Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and Bluetooth 5.0.

Take note of that WiFi chipset that is able to support 5GHz WiFi network. Most TVs only support 2.4GHz.

Other than that, not really familiar with the UI. But I'm aware that Xiaomi TVs has a LOT of ads. And the interface, not sure if it can support some of our go-to Streaming services. So all these questions can be answered by visiting the Xiaomi TV Discussion Thread in HWZ by seeing what kind of interface and experience other local users have with their current iterations of Xiaomi TVs.

With that price point though, you can just buy an external Apple TV 4K Box or an Android box and be done with it when it comes with running services that are generally available on the TV. So there's an advantage.
This will put it to become the cheapest 65" OLED with the newest specs available anywhere. I'm doubting the 1ms response time though. But that 1000 nit peak brightness. If that is true, this will end up being the brightest OLED. But could it have been done by sacrificing on OLED TVs safety procedures that most OLEDs come with to prevent Image Retention and Burn-In? Who knows.
Will be looking at this TV closely. As of now, it's still not available outside of China which is available since 4 July. But it's only a matter of time.

Sources:
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/xiaomi-oled-tv-65-inch-4k-10-bit-hdr-123502815.html
https://blog.mi.com/en/2020/07/02/xiaomi-announces-the-top-notch-mi-tv-lux-65-oled/
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_release_65_inch_4k_oled_mi_tv_master-news-44089.php

petetherock

Reaction score
The high nit brightness will be a nice feature indeed. True HDR and the ability to showcase Dolby Vision to it's real potential is welcome.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chinese review is comparing Xiaomi Master TV 65 inch OLED with Sony A9G
http://zhongce.sina.cn/article/view/52986?vt=4

The above review also says it is a good match for Sony PS5 and XBox Series X.

Chinese YouTube review

Probably needs to be used with an Apple TV 4k or Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro, if used in Singapore.

Another review.

Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This Xiaomi is scary indeed. No wonder the other KR and JP companies are panicking. They learn and improve very fast. Some of their products and packaging are almost "apple-like" but reliability is another issue.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using this? Does it work well?

Hacf060f491ea481bb8c567086a3e441fG.jpg

DriftKing

Reaction score
Would the Samsung nu8000 still holds up well currently? Not a frequent TV user, was considering the TCL P8S for its price point, but saw the nu8000 being mentioned still. Considering getting from PI sellers. Or would it be better to spend more for at least a Q70R?
TCL will be 1 year warranty, the Samsung are 2 years.

Vitacimin

Reaction score
Chinese review is comparing Xiaomi Master TV 65 inch OLED with Sony A9G
http://zhongce.sina.cn/article/view/52986?vt=4

The above review also says it is a good match for Sony PS5 and XBox Series X.

Chinese YouTube review

Probably needs to be used with an Apple TV 4k or Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro, if used in Singapore.

Another review.

I still will get a Sony. A8H 65inch is going for around same price in China

tribe172

Reaction score
Hi. Looking for 65 inch TV. Budget around $1.2K. Family watches lots of MyIPTV4K and Netflix.

Any recommendations?

petetherock

Reaction score
65Q950 8k QLED

To appreciate 8k on such a size will require you to see within a metre.. you won't need the remote control anymore...

So many buyers don't even use proper 4k sources. I think many buyers are only youtube 4k videos?

petetherock

Reaction score
Actually what's the point of buying 8k when there is so little 8k content?

I am a frequent user of Netflix..so getting a 8k tv is pointless right?

Less than 10% of their programming is current 4k... and you'll need a much larger screen to sit comfortably at 2m to appreciate it..

Sitting further away? Then 8k is moot...

boonkang

Reaction score
TL;DR (Too long, don't read) :)

Actually what's the point of buying 8k when there is so little 8k content?

I am a frequent user of Netflix..so getting a 8k tv is pointless right?

https://mashable.com/article/8k-tvs/

Last time, during the early days of 4K TVs, the (same/similar) question was:
"Actually what's the point of buying 4K (TV) when there is so little 4K content?"

But that hasn't stopped TV makers from producing more & more models of 4K TVs -- to eventually now -- producing (more &) more models of 8K TVs.

So current lack of (much) 8K contents will not stop more 8K TVs from being produced & sold.
And also -- will not stop -- 12K/16K TVs from being produced in the future.

Then (many) years from now, people will ask the same/similar question again:
"Actually what's the point of buying 12K/16K (TV) when there is so little 12K/16K content?" Haha :s13:

One reality I've learned is that:
People have money -- so they can buy what they want including 8K TVs -- and you cannot tell people how to spend their money. Haha..

To appreciate 8k on such a size will require you to see within a metre.. you won't need the remote control anymore...

One (important) factor that determines if watching 4K contents will make a difference over watching 1080p/720p contents -- is viewing distance.

One of the viewing distance charts -- I used to like to show people -- is the one below:
viewingdistanceresolutioncomparison.jpg

After sharing the above chart many times, one reality I've learned is that:

It's not the case that the above chart is not informative -- but rather quite a lot of people don't know how to interpret the above (viewing distance) chart !! :s22:

The above chart tells us (simple) things like:
(a) If you buy a 65" 4K TV, it is necessary to sit as close as 6-7 feet (1.83m) -- in order for you to feel that watching 4K contents make a viewing difference over watching 1080p contents.
(b) For the same 65" 4K TV, if you sit further than 22 feet (6.71m) -- all 480p/720p/1080p/4K contents "appears to be equivalent" -- and thus make no viewing difference !!
(c) For a small TV like 32" TV -- despite sitting as close as 12 feet (3.66m) -- all 480p/720p/1080p/4K contents will still "appears to be equivalent".

Point (c) above, is (one of) the reason why 32" TVs are usually 720p/768p only -- plus there exists so few models of 32" 1080p TVs.

Nowadays, people can't avoid 4K TVs -- because as time passes -- people buy bigger & bigger TVs + 4K TV(s) gets cheaper & cheaper.
Currently, during promotions/flash sale -- you can buy (budget range) 55" 4K TVs -- at (well) below S$500. :s12:

So many buyers don't even use proper 4k sources...

Over the years, whenever I asked people what 4K shows/contents they watch -- a common reply is: "Netflix".
Yes, I know, I know -- there are many Netflix experts here ;)

It's only when I dig deep -- then I realised there's (so) much details -- just to be able to watch 4K Netflix properly. Haha :s13:

(0) You need a 4K TV to be able to watch 4K Netflix (this is obvious).
(1) If buying 4K Android TV / 4K Smart TV, you need to ensure that the TV model you buy is advertised as 4K Netflix capable -- or else you won't get 4K Netflix.
(2) If using 4K TV running Android TV OS, keep the Netflix app updated via Google Playstore.

(3) If using 4K smart TV (which is not running Android TV OS) -- you need to ensure that your TV maker/manufacturer keeps the Netflix app updated for your smart TV model.
(3a) If your 4K smart TV model is outdated or no longer supported -- you then need to switch to use external device/Apple TV/Android TV box to continue to access 4K Netflix.

(4) If you use external device/Apple TV/Android TV box, your (external) device must be 4K capable + Netflix certified -- else you won't get 4K Netflix.
(5) Your TV must support HDCP 2.2 + the device must connect to HDMI port on TV that supports HDCP 2.2 -- else you won't get 4K Netflix.
(5a) If you connect the device to AVR (audio visual receiver) -- then AVR connect to TV, your AVR must also support 4K + HDCP 2.2 -- else you won't get 4K Netflix.

(6) You must use a HDMI 2.0 (or better) cable to connect device to TV -- else you won't get 4K Netflix.
(7) You must set device's video output to TV at 4K 60fps -- else you won't get 4K Netflix.
(8) You must subscribe to the highest cost Netflix streaming plan -- else you won't get 4K Netflix.

Even if you satisfy/meet all above conditions -- what you eventually watch on Netflix -- may still not be in 4K !! Why ?!?
Because not every single show on Netflix is available in 4K resolution !! Duh !!

After all is said & done, some people will argue that buying high end 4K or even 8K TV is beneficial -- even if the stream/contents they watch is not in 4K/8K.
Because some people will argue that the (high end) expensive 4K/8K TV they buy -- has 4K/8K upscaling !!

So the high end 8K TV will upscale the (lower resolution) contents up to 8K -- thus allowing you to "enjoy" 8K viewing !!

Did I mentioned?

One reality I've learned is that:
People have money -- so they can buy what they want including 8K TVs -- and you cannot tell people how to spend their money. :)

Hope the above helps.

Last edited:

Kopi Gao

Reaction score
@ boonkang: I read and read and read ... what left a "deep, lasting and realistic" impression in me is only your 6th and last paragraphs.

Also applies to bros here who plan to buy TVs from overseas (e.g. US, China, AU, MY etc.), buy TVs which are 82" and bigger (yes, 75" is still considered small to some!), 8K, 16K, 24K, 32K, 48K etc., super ultra QLEDs, transparent OLEDs, what else? … ;)

Last edited:

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
Less than 10% of their programming is current 4k... and you'll need a much larger screen to sit comfortably at 2m to appreciate it..

yeap currently sitting at 2.3 to 2.5m.

still using my full hd 60inch samsung tv to watch netflix and still working fine.
secretly hoping my 60inch samsung spoil so that i can upgrade :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.