50 to 65" LED / OLED / LCD TV discussion thread III [consolidated]

xipi

Reaction score
If you have that kind of budget, I can highly recommend you getting the latest Panasonic OLED series. It supports both HDR 10+ and Dolby Vision. Basically all the newer Dynamic HDR standards along with the typical old ones like HDR10.

Only issue is they will not be future proof in terms of upcoming videos and standards. You are missing out features that can reap the benefits of HDMI 2.1's higher bandwidth such as VRR or your PC's G-Sync and Free-Sync features which helps get rid of tearing and makes games and videos play a lot smoother because your TV will refresh when your console or GPU or player is ready to send the next frame of the video.
Next year's PS5 and current Xbox One X are already supporting this feature. So the next TVs are roughly 5-7 months away.

But if you can't wait that long, the LG C9 is ready since it already has HDMI 2.1. It is second in line by a mere few points to the Panasonic in terms of picture quality and all. Sony is high up there. But the price, you can just ignore it altogether.

So get the Panasonic GZ950 at walk-in stores as theirs is the cheapest or the LG C9 (with future proof features that will last you next 5-10 years).

For LG's 65", I recommend getting the Display Sets. I got my C9 65" for $3000+ unopened Display Set. Same LG warranty. No worries. I've had my old LG C7 from 2017 with LG acknowledging my warranty and it too was a new unopened set.

Both Panasonic and LG can be professionally or even user calibrated.
But out of the box, just as some reviewers have said, Panasonic and LG's Expert Dark mode is very close to accurate when I had mine check for colour accuracy using the Calman software before I ran the calibration for the modes. Be sure to tweak the White Balance in the settings from Warm 2 to Medium or Cool. Depending on your taste. As Following Asia's programmes including Japan's anime, we are using Cool. Or 100 Daylight instead of American film's 6500K daylight colour temperature which feels like I am watching a 1930s film.
That is why you will notice if you do calibration, you can get higher peak brightness of 800+ when you set your white to 100,000K cooler whites. Because LG's whites follow Japan's Korea's 100,000K whites instead of warm which drops your peak brightness to low. You will hate watching Animes with America's 6500K yellowish/orangeish whites. No worries. All other colours are still accurate. Only, you won't have an orange filter over your video. :s13:
Again, that's my personal taste being accustomed to our own afternoon sun's whites and office lighting whites similar to what Japan, Korea, China and the rest of Asia broadcasting use when they produce their shows and animes.

Another benefit of LG's vs Panasonic OLED TV, you get the chance to watch 4K (non HDR) local and overseas programmes though limited in selection now via its Toggle app.
Recently watched NDP on the TV during the 4K trial that comes with HDR. It was on another level. Detailed and crisp with vibrant colours and contrast and deep blacks especially when the skies turn dark.

Hi, do you mean Singapore TV program ( Channel U, 5, 8) only support HDR?

Fatfool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you have that kind of budget, I can highly recommend you getting the latest Panasonic OLED series. It supports both HDR 10+ and Dolby Vision. Basically all the newer Dynamic HDR standards along with the typical old ones like HDR10.

Only issue is they will not be future proof in terms of upcoming videos and standards. You are missing out features that can reap the benefits of HDMI 2.1's higher bandwidth such as VRR or your PC's G-Sync and Free-Sync features which helps get rid of tearing and makes games and videos play a lot smoother because your TV will refresh when your console or GPU or player is ready to send the next frame of the video.
Next year's PS5 and current Xbox One X are already supporting this feature. So the next TVs are roughly 5-7 months away.

But if you can't wait that long, the LG C9 is ready since it already has HDMI 2.1. It is second in line by a mere few points to the Panasonic in terms of picture quality and all. Sony is high up there. But the price, you can just ignore it altogether.

So get the Panasonic GZ950 at walk-in stores as theirs is the cheapest or the LG C9 (with future proof features that will last you next 5-10 years).

For LG's 65", I recommend getting the Display Sets. I got my C9 65" for $3000+ unopened Display Set. Same LG warranty. No worries. I've had my old LG C7 from 2017 with LG acknowledging my warranty and it too was a new unopened set.

Both Panasonic and LG can be professionally or even user calibrated.
But out of the box, just as some reviewers have said, Panasonic and LG's Expert Dark mode is very close to accurate when I had mine check for colour accuracy using the Calman software before I ran the calibration for the modes. Be sure to tweak the White Balance in the settings from Warm 2 to Medium or Cool. Depending on your taste. As Following Asia's programmes including Japan's anime, we are using Cool. Or 100 Daylight instead of American film's 6500K daylight colour temperature which feels like I am watching a 1930s film.
That is why you will notice if you do calibration, you can get higher peak brightness of 800+ when you set your white to 100,000K cooler whites. Because LG's whites follow Japan's Korea's 100,000K whites instead of warm which drops your peak brightness to low. You will hate watching Animes with America's 6500K yellowish/orangeish whites. No worries. All other colours are still accurate. Only, you won't have an orange filter over your video. :s13:
Again, that's my personal taste being accustomed to our own afternoon sun's whites and office lighting whites similar to what Japan, Korea, China and the rest of Asia broadcasting use when they produce their shows and animes.

Another benefit of LG's vs Panasonic OLED TV, you get the chance to watch 4K (non HDR) local and overseas programmes though limited in selection now via its Toggle app.
Recently watched NDP on the TV during the 4K trial that comes with HDR. It was on another level. Detailed and crisp with vibrant colours and contrast and deep blacks especially when the skies turn dark.

Which stores in Singapore even carry the Panasonic GZ950? It's not even brought in?

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, do you mean Singapore TV program ( Channel U, 5, 8) only support HDR?

Some TV programmes are being tested in 4K and only the National Day Live stream was being streamed in 4K HDR (HLG). But it is only available on Toggle and only on specific TVs like the LG. If you want to watch the 4K SDR content on Toggle for a non-LG TV, you will need to get an Apple TV 4K box.
They are limited and really not worth getting at the moment. You are not losing out. No worries.

37L0ZaA.png

Which stores in Singapore even carry the Panasonic GZ950? It's not even brought in?

Looks like currently, only the GZ1000S model is the lowest model that is available in Singapore. Must wait I guess. But by the looks of the FZ model where the 65" FZ950S model is available, it's just a matter of time. The FZ model can be bought at $2999 for the 65" version officially at Audio House website. Means you might be able to get a lower price unofficially in other stores.

Fatfool

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks like currently, only the GZ1000S model is the lowest model that is available in Singapore. Must wait I guess. But by the looks of the FZ model where the 65" FZ950S model is available, it's just a matter of time. The FZ model can be bought at $2999 for the 65" version officially at Audio House website. Means you might be able to get a lower price unofficially in other stores.
Yep. I just found the FZ950S for lower than 2999. Looks like I'll get that. It's still a yesteryear OLED set with good reviews it seems.

I'd like a Sony A8G (or even A1) or so but they're just too expensive :(

Talking about local sets with a DVB-T2 tuner. I know the parallel import ones are cheaper.

nivlac9

Reaction score
Curious. Can a Philips tv(50PUT7303 )connect to the Harmon kardon aura 2 via bt?

r0_ger

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at these 2 models of 65" FALD TVs

Sony X9500G and Samsung Q80RA

Any feedbacks on these? Which is a better choice for football and movies?

leslie11

Reaction score
I'm looking at both myself. The Q80 seems to have better colours, though it costs around $200 more at the tech show now

Gondon72

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at these 2 models of 65" FALD TVs

Sony X9500G and Samsung Q80RA

Any feedbacks on these? Which is a better choice for football and movies?

cheapest 65" X9500G that i have been quoted is $3599...in the end i settle for the 55" at $1799

leslie11

Reaction score
That’s great. Mind sharing your price through pm? I’m likely getting it too if LG can fix an issue with my 65C7, panel is darker on the left half of the screen than the right side, straight down the middle.

r0_ger

Master Member
Reaction score
That’s great. Mind sharing your price through pm? I’m likely getting it too if LG can fix an issue with my 65C7, panel is darker on the left half of the screen than the right side, straight down the middle.

You mean your C7 is faulty and you wanna fix it? And then get a C9?

leslie11

Reaction score
Not faulty until cannot watch but I made an appt with LG to see wheat the issue is. If their service is good, then I’ll get a C9 for my new place.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.