55 to 65" LED / OLED / LCD TV discussion thread [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
By the way. Optical cable only 1 end got red light right?

The end that has the red light means that it is outputting audio. You are sending the sound signal via optical lights similar to how internet uses Fibre optics cable to send data in the form of light.

Once you connect, the red light will travel through the cable that will now be also light up at the other end and straight to your device receiving the audio.

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Cos my first time use optical cable. Then i Google for images and see they have both ends got red light. Scare me

JX1983

Reaction score
For utilising HDMI 2.0a/b ports, you will need HDMI cables known as HDMI Premium (there will be an orange sticker with a 3D barcode to show it is licensed to be premium.) And it will support up to 18Gb/s as opposed to HDMI 1.4's 10.2Gb/s. There are some cable that does not state that it is HDMI Premium Certified that can only support up to 16Gb/s. That cable is also insufficient.

Any cable lower than that and you will get flickering with the screen going to black and then back to the video and then black again non-stop along with seeing stars on a black background if you turn on HDR for that port on your TV such as Ultra HD Deep Color for LG on that HDMI port. I've experienced it myself.

However, you do not really have to buy those cables UNLESS you have a component such as a BluRay player or a 4K60Hz + HDR box or an Nvidia GTX 10 series graphics card for your PC that will have HDMI 2.0 to utilize the full 4K60Hz + BT.2020 10 bit HDR bandwidth.

If you are still using an old version of your 4K BluRay player that only supports HDMI 1.4 port standard, then no matter if you plug in a HDMI Premium cable, you won't benefit from using the full bandwidth of the cable. Since the player itself won't support it.
Usually, if you buy a Player or any 4K HDR Streaming Box that supports HDMI 2.0, the HDMI cable that comes will it should be able to support 4K60Hz + 10bit HDR at 4:2:2 Chroma.

Thanks for the explanation.

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
by pressing the source button on your Bose remote until it's on that source...

Once the cable is plugged in, a new option appear called "TV".
Selected that and on YouTube or Netflix. Still no sound

Fed up. Stick to my apple tv liao. Thought can save money no need upgrade my current 4th gen apple tv to the 4k..

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
Once the cable is plugged in, a new option appear called "TV".
Selected that and on YouTube or Netflix. Still no sound

Fed up. Stick to my apple tv liao. Thought can save money no need upgrade my current 4th gen apple tv to the 4k..

Your TV needs to be configured too.
On mine, it is under Settings, Sound, Speakers, select Audio System.

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what is the outcome? any sound from the TV built in speakers? or the V35 still plays the audio from cable tv STB?

V35 still playing from set top box if Cable is selected
If select TV, (This option only appeared after plugging in the optical cable), no sound at all

I even removed all HDMI, leaving the optical cable only and use the inbuilt Netflix or YouTube. Also no sound

WTS008

Reaction score
Guys, for all the low entry uhd tv, what's more recommended?

panasonic 55ex640
Samsung ua55mu6100
lg 55uj632t
KD-55X7000E

Software wise lg better is it?

Thanks

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
V35 still playing from set top box if Cable is selected
If select TV, (This option only appeared after plugging in the optical cable), no sound at all

I even removed all HDMI, leaving the optical cable only and use the inbuilt Netflix or YouTube. Also no sound

your TV could be not configured properly to output sound through the optical cable. please share in detail the relevant settings on the TV.

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
your TV could be not configured properly to output sound through the optical cable. please share in detail the relevant settings on the TV.

Selected speakers as Audio System
Under digital audio output i tried all 3 options like auto 1,2 and PCM.
In digital audio level also max
Selected audio fixed instead of default headphones too

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Selected speakers as Audio System
Under digital audio output i tried all 3 options like auto 1,2 and PCM.
In digital audio level also max
Selected audio fixed instead of default headphones too

Is your TV setting of HDMI Control on or off? It should be off.

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
Is your TV setting of HDMI Control on or off? It should be off.

Hmmm. Where to change this?

IIRC this setting can't be turned on unless the TV recognizes an ARC compliant system connected to the ARC HDMI input?

Meanwhile, sounds like mikeeeey has tried pretty much all permutations - perhaps next is to try connecting some other source device which has optical out to your speaker system to confirm that the optical input is working fine.

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys any tv has auto select source based on which one is turned on ?

Probably not - can be quite annoying if it does that unless it is a configurable option to prevent auto-selection.

One simple workaround is to use a HDMI switch that auto-selects the input when it detects a new signal.

straweffigy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, for all the low entry uhd tv, what's more recommended?

panasonic 55ex640
Samsung ua55mu6100
lg 55uj632t
KD-55X7000E

Software wise lg better is it?

Thanks

Try the LG magic remote.. see if it seals the deal for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.