Buying from overseas - shipping, info and tips

ambasnakeman

Reaction score
Are you able to change the FM tuning to 0.1Mhz?

i understand the problem....u cant tune to stations on even no.s right?

i updated the v35 firmware. the local ATLAS tech say, when u update the firmware, place the remote ontop of the bose console, as the remotes firmware will get updated as well.

ambasnakeman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Do you all have any experience importing A/V receivers from the US? Is there anything I should look out for?

The price diff between here and the US is some $400-500. But factoring in GST and the lack of warranty, risk of damage, I'm still debating if it's worth it.

But what is disappointing here is that newer models have already been released but they are still not sold here!

Appreciate any advice. Thank you!

i bought a my bose home theater from ebay brand new. as for bose, it carries international warranty...so its a gd gamble. and in 2 mths, it did became faulty. and i got the set replaced locally.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
ambasnakeman

I am surprised by your experience of imported TVs receiving Starhub channels. The frequency allocations for various channels based on PAL used here are different from that of the NTSC in USA. When you tune the sets, are the channel nos shown on your TV different from that indicated by Starhub?
Any comment?

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i bought a my bose home theater from ebay brand new. as for bose, it carries international warranty...so its a gd gamble. and in 2 mths, it did became faulty. and i got the set replaced locally.

Did you produce receipt from overseas retailer or how did you show proof?

Reaction score
bros, due to price, i'm considering of buying a tv (plasma/LED) from the US as the prices seem better than SG

Would like to check if there are any issues to take note e.g. what do i need to buy to convert the voltage; will tuner be a problem for local channels (from antenna, miotv)?

Thanks.

avsacc

Reaction score
bros, due to price, i'm considering of buying a tv (plasma/LED) from the US as the prices seem better than SG

Would like to check if there are any issues to take note e.g. what do i need to buy to convert the voltage; will tuner be a problem for local channels (from antenna, miotv)?

Thanks.

If direct antenna in from cable point u will have problem. If u r using starhub or Singtel set top box then it will be fine. Because the antenna will be connected to the set top box n then HDMI in to the tv.

anabolic

Reaction score

Thanks.

look here for my experiences on shipping from amazon, voltage convertors, antenna, etc.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/black-friday-amazon-60-plasma-hoot-3498555.html

Kopi Gao

Reaction score
look here for my experiences on shipping from amazon, voltage convertors, antenna, etc.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/black-friday-amazon-60-plasma-hoot-3498555.html

Hi anabolic bro, thanks for sharing your experience. You were very brave to take such high risk in buying such a huge item from the US.

Would like to learn from you more:

1. Shipment from Amazon to Borderlinx/CGW usually no problem? 100% safe?
2. So before shipment reach Borderlinx/CGW from Amazon, must inform Customer Service (Borderlinx/CGW) that shipment is a TV and is extremely fragile? I heard sometimes they repack at their (Borderlinx/CGW) warehouse?
3. Is the courier company (like DHL, FedEx, UPS etc.) involved when damage claims are initiated?
4. May I know the total actual shipping cost (plus GST + everything) for your LG 60PV450 60" plasma that you ordered from Amazon (about 110 pounds = 50kg?)? You mentioned that the shipping calculator puts shipping as USD$280 (before discount).
5. During your purchase of the item, you have no intention to wall mount? Cos' you did not mention about buying the wall mount.
6. So your next purchase item (from Amazon) if the buying bug hits again should be 85 - 100 inch? Haha!

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Kopi Gao, looks like u are also interested to get a big item from US? :D:D I shld be getting a TV from Amazon if nothing goes wrong. Save almost half the price as compared to getting locally. hehe...

Anyone shipped a TV with Peter Seow before? Peter says he provides insurance within the price per kg he quoted

Hi anabolic bro, thanks for sharing your experience. You were very brave to take such high risk in buying such a huge item from the US.

Would like to learn from you more:

1. Shipment from Amazon to Borderlinx/CGW usually no problem? 100% safe?
2. So before shipment reach Borderlinx/CGW from Amazon, must inform Customer Service (Borderlinx/CGW) that shipment is a TV and is extremely fragile? I heard sometimes they repack at their (Borderlinx/CGW) warehouse?
3. Is the courier company (like DHL, FedEx, UPS etc.) involved when damage claims are initiated?
4. May I know the total actual shipping cost (plus GST + everything) for your LG 60PV450 60" plasma that you ordered from Amazon (about 110 pounds = 50kg?)? You mentioned that the shipping calculator puts shipping as USD$280 (before discount).
5. During your purchase of the item, you have no intention to wall mount? Cos' you did not mention about buying the wall mount.
6. So your next purchase item (from Amazon) if the buying bug hits again should be 85 - 100 inch? Haha!

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
Adding this to the sticky...
Every now and then someone gets the idea that there is so much money to be saved from simply comparing prices between Amazon USA and Singapore without taking into account the factors involved in shipping.

Reality Check...

neesavi

Reaction score
Adding this to the sticky...
Every now and then someone gets the idea that there is so much money to be saved from simply comparing prices between Amazon USA and Singapore without taking into account the factors involved in shipping.

Reality Check...

Trying my luck to get one 65VT60 or 65ZT60 ... and the odds are not in favour.
Comgateway now suggest that any TV should be crated. Otherwise there wont be any insurance.
Crating means
USD400++ for crating
Another increase of 40kg in weight

A rough estimate for VT60 was whopping USD1800!!!!!
If I buy the TV at USD3098
+1800=4898

...... Dosent make sense at all!!!!

Any amigos .. got any better idea to import!!!

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wonder it makes sense to consolidate TV orders and ship via bulk shipper by ship.

Last edited:

villains

Reaction score
Interestingly, 4k TCL displays are going for pretty cheap on taobao. I have containers coming in about once every month or two, but I'm _really_ not that pro with how tvs are usually packed. Does anyone have any idea?

neesavi

Reaction score
Interestingly, 4k TCL displays are going for pretty cheap on taobao. I have containers coming in about once every month or two, but I'm _really_ not that pro with how tvs are usually packed. Does anyone have any idea?

I suppose the best and safest way is to wooden cage/carate around the box.

villains

Reaction score
I suppose the best and safest way is to wooden cage/carate around the box.

Unfortunately, that is the problem. Wooden crate doesn't really mean it would be stable.

Usually for heavy things people will use those steel strips and latch from the bottom to the top then to the bottom. But... I think tv cannot do that because if you tighten it, it would be eating through the box and the styrofoam only.

gohjlb

Reaction score
Question : are tv export from china cheaper or export from usa cheaper?

no idea what the diff...

Coz i planning to buy 47 inch for gaming GTA~

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i guess many dun watch from FTA pal signals anymore.

Cable, DVT-T2 and media boxes, comes with selectable NTSC/PAL signal output now (inc FTA channels), NTSC TVs shd be just fine, abet a stepdown transformer. Correct me if wrong..

For a stepdown, does the 50/60Hz AC matters on a 110V TV?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.