Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread III

Like Tree57Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #736
Supremacy Member

My comment in bold.

Hi,
Singtel is charging me $4.95 for the rental of MIO Box, which I intend to return. So I will need a set top box for HD resolution.

My current Panasonic 55 inch LED 3D TV does not have a built in digital tuner.

So I would like to ask which brand of set top box + digital antenna should I buy? And where should I buy from?
Any brand within your budget. Branded one can be purchase from Courts, HN, NTUC Xtra, etc. Unbranded PRC can be purchase online from Qoo10, Lazada, Aliexpress, Ebay, etc.

Can I just buy the set top box without buying digital antenna? (I'm able to watch SD channels if I'm not using the MIO box)
Depend on your existing source, if coming from MATV then can continue using it but if from SH then chances are it will be disconnected by end 2017.

On another side note, my relative recently bought a Panasonic 4K TV with a built in digital tuner and an akira antenna. It seems that channel 8 subtitles are very sharp while channel U subtitles are blurry. What could be causing the problem? Is that a defect in the TV itself or problems with the Akira antenna?
The answer is simple becoz Ch-U is still not broadcast in HD yet.

Thanks.

Last edited by albertlee; 22-05-2016 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: misspell
Old 21-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #737

Hi guys,

I have this tv here that says it's DVB-T/C. Do I need a separate set up box or do i just need an antenna?

Sorry if this have been asked numerous times. Can't seem to find the answer.
Old 21-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #738

Hi guys,

I have this tv here that says it's DVB-T/C. Do I need a separate set up box or do i just need an antenna?

i presumed u r connected to starhub tv point~ hv u tried manual tune to digital cable and re-scan the channels~ my bro has an old philips tv that able to recv all mediacorp HD channels thru DVB-C~

Old 21-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #739
Supremacy Member

Hi guys,

According to the user guide here, it indicate that DVB-T2 is only available for certain model. In short, not clear-cut, you have to find out yourself.

Actually since this TV set support DVB-C, you should be able to receive DTV channels from SH SCV point.
Old 21-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #740

According to the user guide here, it indicate that DVB-T2 is only available for certain model. In short, not clear-cut, you have to find out yourself.

Actually since this TV set support DVB-C, you should be able to receive DTV channels from SH SCV point.
Yes it can receive from the SCV point, but I suspect the point having issue as it's grainy even after I change cable.
So do you mean if my tv only support DVB-T, I still have to buy a box that support T2? I've read somewhere that as long as it have a digital tuner then an antenna would do. And I assume that with DVB-T it would mean my tv has a digital tuner right?

Sorry been reading up too much getting a little confused here.
Old 21-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #741
Supremacy Member

Yes it can receive from the SCV point, but I suspect the point having issue as it's grainy even after I change cable.
So do you mean if my tv only support DVB-T, I still have to buy a box that support T2? I've read somewhere that as long as it have a digital tuner then an antenna would do. And I assume that with DVB-T it would mean my tv has a digital tuner right?

Sorry been reading up too much getting a little confused here.
Have you try changing the TV input source to Digital (DVB-C) as it could be still set to analogue?

DVB-T is the older digital TV broadcast standard, DVB-T2 is the DVB standard adopted here (and worldwide).

And yes you need a DVB-T2 STB (set-top box) if your TV only support DVB-T but as stated before if you can use the built-in DVB-C tuner and use SH SCV point as source.

Last edited by albertlee; 21-05-2016 at 02:41 PM..
Old 21-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #742

Anyone like to share shipping for this item?

http://www.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Mobile/...code=425687059
Old 21-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #743

Hi

Can someone advise why sometimes signal strength can be max but quality can be zero ? This happen for a few mins, cant watch the channel and then quality is back to normal.

Area is HD ready, I live on high floor and using funke 5.1

Thanks
Old 22-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #744
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi,

Just got my new TV.

My TV got dvb-t2 tuner , so does it means just plug the cable into the from tv to cable point , I'll get the dvb-t2 channels ?

Thanks
Old 22-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #745
Supremacy Member

Hi,

Just got my new TV.

My TV got dvb-t2 tuner , so does it means just plug the cable into the from tv to cable point , I'll get the dvb-t2 channels ?

Thanks
No, for that to work your TV must have DVB-C tuner. DVB-T2 require external antenna to receive the transmission. If your flat (older HDB) have MATV point then connecting to it will work as well.
Old 22-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #746
Arch-Supremacy Member

No, for that to work your TV must have DVB-C tuner. DVB-T2 require external antenna to receive the transmission. If your flat (older HDB) have MATV point then connecting to it will work as well.

Thanks Albert ! My tv comes option of tuning dvb via cable too , so means it's possible ?
Old 22-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #747
Supremacy Member

Thanks Albert ! My tv comes option of tuning dvb via cable too , so means it's possible ?
Have to check the specs. There are those who complain that even though their TV support DVB-C tuner it's not enable, can't recall the details.

What's your TV brand/model?
Old 22-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #748
Arch-Supremacy Member

Have to check the specs. There are those who complain that even though their TV support DVB-C tuner it's not enable, can't recall the details.

What's your TV brand/model?

Thank you for patiently answering my questions !

My tv model is the LG 49" UH850T
Old 22-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #749
Supremacy Member

Thank you for patiently answering my questions !

My tv model is the LG 49" UH850T
According to MDA's list here, this IDTV (Integrated Digital TV) is DVB-T2 ready. There is no mention of it having DVB-C tuner in the owner manual.
Old 22-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #750
Arch-Supremacy Member

According to MDA's list here, this IDTV (Integrated Digital TV) is DVB-T2 ready. There is no mention of it having DVB-C tuner in the owner manual.
Thanks Albert ! I'll try it out once I go to my new house again . I was fiddling with it and saw option to tune via cable , but didn't have the cable with me then .

Will update her if possible ,

Thanks once again !!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.