Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any idea if i should just get a normal "average" like daiyo / wavecom???
Or should whack a good and higher cost like furke 550 / furke 5.1??

Staying in yishun ave 6, mid floor

should get a cheap $2 antenna from ebay or qoo10 first.

our dvb-t2 is similar to cellular phone system, MDA deploys many base-stations. If you are lucky, the base-station is just next to your block.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
should get a cheap $2 antenna from ebay or qoo10 first.

our dvb-t2 is similar to cellular phone system, MDA deploys many base-stations. If you are lucky, the base-station is just next to your block.

Does MDA publish a map or a list of locations where they have a base station installed?

WestGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Any idea if i should just get a normal "average" like daiyo / wavecom???
Or should whack a good and higher cost like furke 550 / furke 5.1??

Staying in yishun ave 6, mid floor

Why not go 1 step further?

I'm using a 50 mile range antennae purchased from Amazon:D
Can even receive all Malaysian DVB-T2 channels:s22:

lwq2000

Reaction score
This model has dvb-t2 and dvb-c. When you connect to scv cable point, you should be able to see the digital channel using dvb-c.

If you change to dvb-t2 antenna, you have to re-tune because they are using different frequency and format.

Try re-tune if you have not done so. Try to re-position the antenna to get better signal strength, most of the tuning page show the signal strength, try to get at least 70%.

If still cannot, either you are at blind spot or the antenna you bought is a lemon.

I tried re-positioning my TV and antenna since I have some time to play around. I could only get HD 5 / Suria on Channel 29 after re-tuning and when I placed my antenna high up on the window grill. I could only get 38% signal strength when they say my area is indoor ready (i.e. green on the map). The distance from my window to my TV area is less than 80 cm away and the signal degrades so much. Lols!

The call to our FTA broadcaster isn't fruitful.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried re-positioning my TV and antenna since I have some time to play around. I could only get HD 5 / Suria on Channel 29 after re-tuning and when I placed my antenna high up on the window grill. I could only get 38% signal strength when they say my area is indoor ready (i.e. green on the map). The distance from my window to my TV area is less than 80 cm away and the signal degrades so much. Lols!

The call to our FTA broadcaster isn't fruitful.

some of the window grills block out the signal, try to place the antenna outside the grills to see whether better.

try out different locations, high up not necessary better.

if still cannot, then you have to buy an active antenna.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
What is difference of active antenna vs antenna? (mentioned in post above me.)

Where does the signal actually come from? Digital box/hdb wall TV signal connector/antenna?

I am wondering how come new technology still need to use antenna? Then what is the purpose of tv connecting to the wall and box?

Use antenna picture will grainy or not?

Seems like going backwards to olden days use antenna and see luck if can receive signal or not.

Last edited:

Zoetvbox

Reaction score
Active antenna come with booster that suppose to improve reception. Passive is normal type.

Signal come from broadcast station. If reception good, digital tv actually much clearer than analog tv. So not grainy.
As I also feel like going back old days, but if u subscribe to Red, green provider, it make no difference n will not impact u at all.

What is difference of active antenna vs antenna? (mentioned in post above me.)

Where does the signal actually come from? Digital box/hdb wall TV signal connector/antenna?

I am wondering how come new technology still need to use antenna? Then what is the purpose of tv connecting to the wall and box?

Use antenna picture will grainy or not?

Seems like going backwards to olden days use antenna and see luck if can receive signal or not.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Active antenna come with booster that suppose to improve reception. Passive is normal type.

Signal come from broadcast station. If reception good, digital tv actually much clearer than analog tv. So not grainy.
As I also feel like going back old days, but if u subscribe to Red, green provider, it make no difference n will not impact u at all.

I am watching free mediacorp channels only never subscribe any paid tv, so if digital tv signal is come from broadcast station do you mean from that wall outlet that TV cable connect to it?

How come now non digital tv can just connect that tv wall outlet that TV can watch already. But next time if change to digital tv need antenna plus connect a box to the tv wall outlet? Digital tv signal comes from air (wireless) for antenna and also wall outlet?

Last edited:

rabbit1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why not go 1 step further?

I'm using a 50 mile range antennae purchased from Amazon:D
Can even receive all Malaysian DVB-T2 channels:s22:

Do you have the frequency of the Malaysians channel? For some reason I can't receive it

lwq2000

Reaction score
some of the window grills block out the signal, try to place the antenna outside the grills to see whether better.

try out different locations, high up not necessary better.

if still cannot, then you have to buy an active antenna.

I have tried multiple locations, high up and resting on the window grill yields the best signal. Guess i have to get an active antenna.

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I am watching free mediacorp channels only never subscribe any paid tv, so if digital tv signal is come from broadcast station do you mean from that wall outlet that TV cable connect to it?

How come now non digital tv can just connect that tv wall outlet that TV can watch already. But next time if change to digital tv need antenna plus connect a box to the tv wall outlet? Digital tv signal comes from air (wireless) for antenna and also wall outlet?
that scv/starhub wall outlet is DVB C

the new digital TV being promoted by MDA and Mediacorp is DVB T2
the signal is boardcasted from many many small base station above buildings islandwide ... the signal is everywhere it comes in through the window and maybe even penetrate wall

this isn't any debate on new technology vs old technology
no choice ... either you upgrade now or later in 2018 .... or your tv breakdown first
upgrade early enjoy early .... I say the overall cost within $30 is affordable for the qoo10 box from china ..... MDA sponsored many low income families with their free box and they told newspaper each box cost $100+ .... what a ripoff

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
rollout_map_p.jpg

13 July 2016 update:

Residents in Jurong West (western half) can now receive Digital TV. This is the latest addition on top of Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Bishan, Bukit Batok, Bukit Merah, Bukit Panjang, Bukit Timah, Central Area, Choa Chu Kang, Clementi, Geylang, Hougang, Jurong East, Jurong West (eastern half), Kallang, Marine Parade/East Coast, Novena, Pasir Ris, Punggol, Queenstown, Sembawang, Sengkang, Serangoon, Tampines West, Tanglin, Toa Payoh and Yishun.

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i found the reason for interference when I on my computer & monitor 1 wall apart from my tv&antenna

because the cable shielding have some kind of flaw that make it not grounded

we noticed the interference is gone when we use finger to hold the antenna ....
suspect human body is sufficient to ground it

so I placed the antenna on window grill let it touch the aluminium ... it works !

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nowadays tv cannot built in dvb-t2 antenna?

still need waste money and effort to get the digital signal

Starbutt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody using videostrong's k1 android tv box with dvb-t2 tuner?

I just bought from aliexpress and seems like quite cui.

It's running Android 4.4 with kodi presinstalled. A lot of links/streams are not working in kodi. Worst thing is the system clock always reset back to default 1995 after power off. Quite frustrating.

Don't have dvb antenna but I just plug a coaxial cable into the box and was able to receive some local channels but a little choppy.

Anybody using similar box having similar issue?

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.