HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread III

Like Tree57Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #871
Master Member

I wanted to look for either a usb, or sort of antenna for my TV, hoping to look for one that has no need wire to connect to power supply. Any recommendations?
If you home is indoor reception ready, try this $1.50 antenna first.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-3Ft-Digit...-/182099848646
Old 27-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #872

Hi all, Silly questions here, I have an old tV, i know i need to buy a box and ant. but do i still we still need to keep the old tv cable point??? ( as I as getting a resale flat so wondering do i still need to keep it or i and conceal it away...
Old 27-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #873
Master Member

Hi all, Silly questions here, I have an old tV, i know i need to buy a box and ant. but do i still we still need to keep the old tv cable point??? ( as I as getting a resale flat so wondering do i still need to keep it or i and conceal it away...
HDB is not going to maintain the old antenna anymore.

Now mediacorp is switching to DVB-t2, you need to get a DVB-t2 receiver box with a small indoor antenna for your old TV. Many sellers at qoo10 are selling them at $20-$25 including the antenna. Don't buy it from the shop as they are selling it at 3-4time the price.
Old 27-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #874
Supremacy Member

If the old TV point is those HDB MATV type (not SH SCV) then I suggest your test it out first before getting an antenna, could help you save some money.
Old 27-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #875

Thank you, can recommend which one staying town area ??? as u know i reno busy with my lan cables ...lazy to source...

MMM .."HDB is not going to maintain the old antenna anymore. " meaning if i getting MIO or starhub also no need tat cable point?
Old 27-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #876

If the old TV point is those HDB MATV type (not SH SCV) then I suggest your test it out first before getting an antenna, could help you save some money.

Mmm meaning supply by HDB and not SCV right...then i need to forget it ...as it supply SCV
Old 27-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #877
Supremacy Member

Mmm meaning supply by HDB and not SCV right...then i need to forget it ...as it supply SCV
Well, in that case you have 2 choices. Either get a combo STB, meaning it has both DVB-T2 and DVB-C tuner or simply get a DVB-T2 STB. With a combo box, you can re-use the SCV point otherwise an indoor antenna (passive or active) is require for the latter.
Old 27-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #878

Hi folks,

I am writing from the UK. My in-laws have just bought a new BTO flat in Woodlands. They picked up the keys a couple of months back. I will be travelling to SG next month to stay with them. I have bought them a TV as a gift. The TV I've bought is a Hisense LHD32D50TUK. See: amazon.co.uk/dp/B0193G6F32/
The
This a UK model. I've looked through the setup in the TV, testing it out before I take it to SG. With regards to DVB-T2 tuning, there's no option for Singapore. Several European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Arab...but no Singapore.

The result is that when I try to tune the DVT channels, the required frequency is not there. E.G., Ch5HD is 599.250 MHz (I believe, according to Wikipedia). This is equal to 599250 kHz. The countries I select for tuning have differing increments, but none of them hit the spot for 599250 kHz. It's either slightly above or slightly below.

What should I do? In the absence of Singapore being listed in the TV's settings, is there another country I could select which has the same tuning increments as Singapore? As yet, I haven't tried them all. There are a lot.

Or should I return this TV and change it for one that either has Singapore listed in the tuning settings or allows me to select any tuning increments?

The second part of my question: do I need to buy a DVT indoor aerial, or is a new-build HDB flat likely to have a suitable aerial socket already there?

Any help appreciated!
Old 27-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #879
Supremacy Member

Hi folks,

I am writing from the UK. My in-laws have just bought a new BTO flat in Woodlands. They picked up the keys a couple of months back. I will be travelling to SG next month to stay with them. I have bought them a TV as a gift. The TV I've bought is a Hisense LHD32D50TUK. See: amazon.co.uk/dp/B0193G6F32/
The
This a UK model. I've looked through the setup in the TV, testing it out before I take it to SG. With regards to DVB-T2 tuning, there's no option for Singapore. Several European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Arab...but no Singapore.

The result is that when I try to tune the DVT channels, the required frequency is not there. E.G., Ch5HD is 599.250 MHz (I believe, according to Wikipedia). This is equal to 599250 kHz. The countries I select for tuning have differing increments, but none of them hit the spot for 599250 kHz. It's either slightly above or slightly below.

What should I do? In the absence of Singapore being listed in the TV's settings, is there another country I could select which has the same tuning increments as Singapore? As yet, I haven't tried them all. There are a lot.

Or should I return this TV and change it for one that either has Singapore listed in the tuning settings or allows me to select any tuning increments?

The second part of my question: do I need to buy a DVT indoor aerial, or is a new-build HDB flat likely to have a suitable aerial socket already there?

Any help appreciated!
Regarding auto-tuning, first try to select the next closest country to Singapore. If that doesn't work then you will need to do manual tuning, just need to google for the channel info.

All new BTO flat come with TV socket for Starhub cable broadcast so your TV set need to have DVB-C tuner in order to work. Luckily your model is so I would advise holding back the purchase of indoor antenna until you test this out first.
Old 27-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #880

Regarding auto-tuning, first try to select the next closest country to Singapore. If that doesn't work then you will need to do manual tuning, just need to google for the channel info.

All new BTO flat come with TV socket for Starhub cable broadcast so your TV set need to have DVB-C tuner in order to work. Luckily your model is so I would advise holding back the purchase of indoor antenna until you test this out first.
Many thanks for your reply.

Regarding DVD-T2 tuning, it either auto scans for channels based on the country I select, or else I can manually scan based on the country I select. But manual scanning skips the frequencies that the Singapore channels use (well, at least Ch5HD anyway, that's the first I've tried). There doesn't seem to be an option for me to manually choose a specific frequency.

You are right, the TV I bought is DVB-C capable also. So, if I plug it in to the Starhub socket in the flat, should I get channels? Even though we don't have a Starhub TV subscription? Would this be analogue or digital channels? I think my preference is to use DVB-T because we should then be able to also receive Malaysian channels, being as the flat is in Woodlands. Right?
Old 27-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #881

I do not see any special in this Hisense TV spec.
I would prefer to buy TV in Sg, specially they can help to wall mount locally and have local warranty. Easier for old folk to get local support

If they plan to subscribe to local media provider eg Starhub. Then
digital antenna is not needed.

Even if you bring this TV to Singapore. Digital antenna cost no more than $30 Sgd.

Hi folks,

The

Any help appreciated!
Old 27-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #882

Wink

I do not see any special in this Hisense TV spec.
I would prefer to buy TV in Sg, specially they can help to wall mount locally and have local warranty. Easier for old folk to get local support

If they plan to subscribe to local media provider eg Starhub. Then
digital antenna is not needed.

Even if you bring this TV to Singapore. Digital antenna cost no more than $30 Sgd.
Thanks for reply. Well, this Hisense TV is good quality and cheap. 139 is only S$250. I don't know where I can find a 32" HD TV in SG for that price (I've searched online, can't find). I will wall mount when I visit.
Old 27-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #883
Supremacy Member

Many thanks for your reply.

Regarding DVD-T2 tuning, it either auto scans for channels based on the country I select, or else I can manually scan based on the country I select. But manual scanning skips the frequencies that the Singapore channels use (well, at least Ch5HD anyway, that's the first I've tried). There doesn't seem to be an option for me to manually choose a specific frequency.

You are right, the TV I bought is DVB-C capable also. So, if I plug it in to the Starhub socket in the flat, should I get channels? Even though we don't have a Starhub TV subscription? Would this be analogue or digital channels? I think my preference is to use DVB-T because we should then be able to also receive Malaysian channels, being as the flat is in Woodlands. Right?
You may wish to email the TV manufacturer support with regard to the country settings, usually a firmware upgrade should be able to fix it. As for manual settings, it should allow input of a specific frequency or range of frequency.

SH SCV socket carry FTA (free-to-air) signal for both analogue and digital Mediacorp channels, no subscription is require. Of course if you choose that as source, you wouldn't be able to receive other DTV signal from other broadcaster. But then, staying near to Malaysia doesn't mean one could easily receive Malaysia DTV channels as highlighted by other users here.
Kotek Besar likes this.
Old 27-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #884
Banned

why when watching Netflix for example, the faces of the actors all look so reddish so orangey? what can i do to make the picture look better?
Old 27-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #885

You may wish to email the TV manufacturer support with regard to the country settings, usually a firmware upgrade should be able to fix it. As for manual settings, it should allow input of a specific frequency or range of frequency.

SH SCV socket carry FTA (free-to-air) signal for both analogue and digital Mediacorp channels, no subscription is require. Of course if you choose that as source, you wouldn't be able to receive other DTV signal from other broadcaster. But then, staying near to Malaysia doesn't mean one could easily receive Malaysia DTV channels as highlighted by other users here.
Thank you again. I have just emailed Hisense, as you suggested. Perhaps DVB-C is the best solution after all.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.