HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread III

Like Tree57Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #931

I have this TV, pluged in SCV cable point. I can only receive non DTV signals, hence all the free to air channels are non HD.

http://www.lg.com/sg/tvs/lg-42LB650T

How can i receive the DTV signals via the SCV cable point?
I don't subscribe to any paid TV.

(I'm in Pioneer so the terrestrial signals ain't in my neighbourhood yet..)
Old 29-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #932
Honorary Member

I have this TV, pluged in SCV cable point. I can only receive non DTV signals, hence all the free to air channels are non HD.

http://www.lg.com/sg/tvs/lg-42LB650T

How can i receive the DTV signals via the SCV cable point?
I don't subscribe to any paid TV.

(I'm in Pioneer so the terrestrial signals ain't in my neighbourhood yet..)
The DTV signals via the SCV cable point come in DVB-C form. According to the specs page of your TV, your TV seems to only support DVB-T2 (1.3.1), so it is not possible to receive the signals from the SCV cable point.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

PM me if you require Keppel Electric referral code.
Old 29-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #933

The DTV signals via the SCV cable point come in DVB-C form. According to the specs page of your TV, your TV seems to only support DVB-T2 (1.3.1), so it is not possible to receive the signals from the SCV cable point.
So i can only wait till the terrestrial signals come to pioneer?
Old 29-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #934

Hi folks,

I am writing from the UK. My in-laws have just bought a new BTO flat in Woodlands. They picked up the keys a couple of months back. I will be travelling to SG next month to stay with them. I have bought them a TV as a gift. The TV I've bought is a Hisense LHD32D50TUK. See: amazon.co.uk/dp/B0193G6F32/
The
This a UK model. I've looked through the setup in the TV, testing it out before I take it to SG. With regards to DVB-T2 tuning, there's no option for Singapore. Several European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Arab...but no Singapore.

The result is that when I try to tune the DVT channels, the required frequency is not there. E.G., Ch5HD is 599.250 MHz (I believe, according to Wikipedia). This is equal to 599250 kHz. The countries I select for tuning have differing increments, but none of them hit the spot for 599250 kHz. It's either slightly above or slightly below.

What should I do? In the absence of Singapore being listed in the TV's settings, is there another country I could select which has the same tuning increments as Singapore? As yet, I haven't tried them all. There are a lot.

Or should I return this TV and change it for one that either has Singapore listed in the tuning settings or allows me to select any tuning increments?

The second part of my question: do I need to buy a DVT indoor aerial, or is a new-build HDB flat likely to have a suitable aerial socket already there?

Any help appreciated!
I believe you may have taken the wrong Ch 5 HD frequency from Wiki. It should be UHF 538.250 MHz for DVB-T2. The one you quoted is for HD5 under DVB-T.

Add'l info:
I did a test on my K2 box. Change country setting to England and do auto-search again. All the Mediacorp channels can be found with the same clarity. The only difference is that Singapore country setting, the channel start with 1, 2, 3 and so on but England setting, channel start with 801, 802, 803 and so on.

See attached photos.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by honestguy; 29-06-2016 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Added photos
Old 29-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #935
Honorary Member

So i can only wait till the terrestrial signals come to pioneer?
Yeah, unless your TV supports DVB-C unofficially, which would not be revealed in the specifications page.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

Old 29-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #936
Honorary Member

Thanks for replying. The problem is that, in order to search for channels (or even to manually tune channels) you have to select a country. Singapore isn't listed. The result is that tuning on this TV skips frequencies containing Singapore channels. Hope you follow me?

Anyway, I received a reply from Hisense to my email to them. They said:

While I appreciate Hisense's reply and suggestion, it's really a non-starter because there is no option, in the menus of this TV, to export the channel list to USB. So I can't then edit the list and re-import it. Perhaps this is possible with other Hisense TV's but not with this model and the rep didn't know.

Meanwhile, I was also having a look at he DVB-C capability of this TV. It seems that, much like in the case for DVB-T2 tuning on this TV, you have to specify a country and, again, Singapore is not on the list.

Since I have a sneaking suspicion that if I take this TV to Singapore I would end up receiving no channels and feeling a lot of frustration and wasted effort, I think I'm going to return it to Amazon for a refund. Such a shame. TVs in Singapore are so expensive now.

You know, it's weird. 10 years ago family in the UK would give us a shopping list for cheap things to buy in SG to take back to England. TVs, DVD players, camcorders... Now, the opposite is true. Singapore is expensive for everything for us Brits with our weak pound, and our SG family want us to bring bargains over to SG for them from UK!

Anyone want anything for next month?
Try out the European countries' settings, and as long as the region scans the frequencies in terms of 8mhz increments and can cover from 522 Mhz onwards, it should be ok for the Singapore market. But of course, the TV in the first place must support the updated DVB-T2 (1.3.1) standard. Cos if I'm not wrong, UK DVB-T2 uses the older standard, so the TVs may be of the older standard too.
Kotek Besar likes this.

Old 29-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #937
Honorary Member

I believe you may have taken the wrong Ch 5 HD frequency from Wiki. It should be UHF 538.250 MHz for DVB-T2. The one you quoted is for HD5 under DVB-T.

Add'l info:
I did a test on my K2 box. Change country setting to England and do auto-search again. All the Mediacorp channels can be found with the same clarity. The only difference is that Singapore country setting, the channel start with 1, 2, 3 and so on but England setting, channel start with 801, 802, 803 and so on.

I have the screen shots but not sure how to show in this reply.

Hope this helps.
No, the DVB-T2 frequencies for all the MediaCorp channels currently occupy the whole number only, without the .250Mhz.

Currently only need to tune to 3 frequencies, namely 522Mhz, 538Mhz, and 570Mhz.

Old 29-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #938
Master Member

You can use it for the dvb-t2 receiver.
Old 29-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #939

having messed around with antennae with a DVB-T2 receiver box
i think the best choice would be to buy a DVB-C compatible set-top box
in the first place so that we can just use the existing SCV point
already there in the wall and save all the hassle
of coz we can only receive FTA channels which would suit my purpose

am presently looking at this DVB-C set-top box which
apparently comes with android inside which would mean
we can also install all the android APKs inside

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...857.0.0.B0fvHL

anyone has experience with this kind of combo box before?
Old 29-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #940

Thanks for replying. The problem is that, in order to search for channels (or even to manually tune channels) you have to select a country. Singapore isn't listed. The result is that tuning on this TV skips frequencies containing Singapore channels. Hope you follow me?

Anyway, I received a reply from Hisense to my email to them. They said:

While I appreciate Hisense's reply and suggestion, it's really a non-starter because there is no option, in the menus of this TV, to export the channel list to USB. So I can't then edit the list and re-import it. Perhaps this is possible with other Hisense TV's but not with this model and the rep didn't know.

Meanwhile, I was also having a look at he DVB-C capability of this TV. It seems that, much like in the case for DVB-T2 tuning on this TV, you have to specify a country and, again, Singapore is not on the list.

Since I have a sneaking suspicion that if I take this TV to Singapore I would end up receiving no channels and feeling a lot of frustration and wasted effort, I think I'm going to return it to Amazon for a refund. Such a shame. TVs in Singapore are so expensive now.

You know, it's weird. 10 years ago family in the UK would give us a shopping list for cheap things to buy in SG to take back to England. TVs, DVD players, camcorders... Now, the opposite is true. Singapore is expensive for everything for us Brits with our weak pound, and our SG family want us to bring bargains over to SG for them from UK!

Anyone want anything for next month?
I have a Sony TV from UK but only support DVB-T2 v1.2.1 therefore I have to use an external STB.

Singaporeans are brand conscience, we only buy branded TV such as Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips, Loewe, etc. We have cheap local brand such as Akira

Hisense is a China company. I would suggest u buy a Xiaomi 4k TV instead.

Last edited by dexter9898; 29-06-2016 at 02:09 PM..
Old 29-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #941

having messed around with antennae with a DVB-T2 receiver box
i think the best choice would be to buy a DVB-C compatible set-top box
in the first place so that we can just use the existing SCV point
already there in the wall and save all the hassle
of coz we can only receive FTA channels which would suit my purpose

am presently looking at this DVB-C set-top box which
apparently comes with android inside which would mean
we can also install all the android APKs inside

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...857.0.0.B0fvHL

anyone has experience with this kind of combo box before?
Do take note that Starhub is slowly migrating their customers to IPTV and might stop DVB-C transmission in future.
Old 29-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #942

Do take note that Starhub is slowly migrating their customers to IPTV and might stop DVB-C transmission in future.
i see, thanks for the info
so back to finding a suitable antenna for my DVB-T2 box

am getting pretty unstable signals of around 45%-85%
in the marine parade area for some channels eg. HD5 n HD8
the test channel looks ok as well as the CNA one
Old 29-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #943

Try out the European countries' settings, and as long as the region scans the frequencies in terms of 8mhz increments and can cover from 522 Mhz onwards, it should be ok for the Singapore market. But of course, the TV in the first place must support the updated DVB-T2 (1.3.1) standard. Cos if I'm not wrong, UK DVB-T2 uses the older standard, so the TVs may be of the older standard too.
No, the DVB-T2 frequencies for all the MediaCorp channels currently occupy the whole number only, without the .250Mhz.

Currently only need to tune to 3 frequencies, namely 522Mhz, 538Mhz, and 570Mhz.

Great news! Thanks for this. Ok, I've just tested the TV and it can indeed tune in to 522Mhz, 538Mhz, and 570Mhz (whole numbers). So, I guess so long as the TV supports DVB-T2 1.3.1, not and 1.2.1 only, I'm good to go, right? I can't seem to find an answer online about the DVB-T2 version (it's not in the spec sheet or, apparently, anywhere else on the internet!), so I've emailed the question to Hisense.

Singaporeans are brand conscience, we only buy branded TV such as Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips, Loewe, etc. We have cheap local brand such as Akira

Hisense make great quality products, especially TVs, and are the 4th largest screen manufacturer in the world. It's certainly not a cheap, local brand. Sure, they're manufactured in China, much like the Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips and Apple brands are. Akira, yes, I agree, cheap tat.
Old 29-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #944
High Supremacy Member

I have a Sony TV from UK but only support DVB-T2 v1.2.1 therefore I have to use an external STB.

Mind you, Hisense is one of the EURO 2016 global partners.
Old 29-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #945
Banned

so i got the antenna n now i am able to receive ch5 hd, ch8 hd, suria hd, vasantham hd, channel newsasia hd, channel U and okto hd.

is this correct? no other channels i am missing rite?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.