HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread III

Like Tree57Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #1051
Master Member

Active antenna come with booster that suppose to improve reception. Passive is normal type.

Signal come from broadcast station. If reception good, digital tv actually much clearer than analog tv. So not grainy.
As I also feel like going back old days, but if u subscribe to Red, green provider, it make no difference n will not impact u at all.
I am watching free mediacorp channels only never subscribe any paid tv, so if digital tv signal is come from broadcast station do you mean from that wall outlet that TV cable connect to it?

How come now non digital tv can just connect that tv wall outlet that TV can watch already. But next time if change to digital tv need antenna plus connect a box to the tv wall outlet? Digital tv signal comes from air (wireless) for antenna and also wall outlet?

Last edited by super365; 12-07-2016 at 07:34 PM..
Old 12-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #1052
Supremacy Member

Why not go 1 step further?

I'm using a 50 mile range antennae purchased from Amazon
Can even receive all Malaysian DVB-T2 channels
Do you have the frequency of the Malaysians channel? For some reason I can't receive it
Old 12-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #1053

some of the window grills block out the signal, try to place the antenna outside the grills to see whether better.

try out different locations, high up not necessary better.

if still cannot, then you have to buy an active antenna.
I have tried multiple locations, high up and resting on the window grill yields the best signal. Guess i have to get an active antenna.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:51 PM   #1054
Honorary Member

I am watching free mediacorp channels only never subscribe any paid tv, so if digital tv signal is come from broadcast station do you mean from that wall outlet that TV cable connect to it?

How come now non digital tv can just connect that tv wall outlet that TV can watch already. But next time if change to digital tv need antenna plus connect a box to the tv wall outlet? Digital tv signal comes from air (wireless) for antenna and also wall outlet?
that scv/starhub wall outlet is DVB C

the new digital TV being promoted by MDA and Mediacorp is DVB T2
the signal is boardcasted from many many small base station above buildings islandwide ... the signal is everywhere it comes in through the window and maybe even penetrate wall

this isn't any debate on new technology vs old technology
no choice ... either you upgrade now or later in 2018 .... or your tv breakdown first
upgrade early enjoy early .... I say the overall cost within $30 is affordable for the qoo10 box from china ..... MDA sponsored many low income families with their free box and they told newspaper each box cost $100+ .... what a ripoff
Old 13-07-2016, 05:53 AM   #1055
Arch-Supremacy Member

Why not go 1 step further?

I'm using a 50 mile range antennae purchased from Amazon
Can even receive all Malaysian DVB-T2 channels
Which one did you purchase?
Old 13-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #1056
High Supremacy Member

13 July 2016 update:

Residents in Jurong West (western half) can now receive Digital TV. This is the latest addition on top of Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Bishan, Bukit Batok, Bukit Merah, Bukit Panjang, Bukit Timah, Central Area, Choa Chu Kang, Clementi, Geylang, Hougang, Jurong East, Jurong West (eastern half), Kallang, Marine Parade/East Coast, Novena, Pasir Ris, Punggol, Queenstown, Sembawang, Sengkang, Serangoon, Tampines West, Tanglin, Toa Payoh and Yishun.
Old 14-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #1057
Honorary Member

i found the reason for interference when I on my computer & monitor 1 wall apart from my tv&antenna

because the cable shielding have some kind of flaw that make it not grounded

we noticed the interference is gone when we use finger to hold the antenna ....
suspect human body is sufficient to ground it

so I placed the antenna on window grill let it touch the aluminium ... it works !
Old 14-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #1058
High Supremacy Member

nowadays tv cannot built in dvb-t2 antenna?

still need waste money and effort to get the digital signal
Old 15-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #1059

Tv magnetic field will interfer with signal... maybe see snowflake or nothing at all if builtin.

nowadays tv cannot
built in dvb-t2 antenna?

still need waste money and effort to get the digital signal
Old 16-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #1060
Supremacy Member

Anybody using videostrong's k1 android tv box with dvb-t2 tuner?

I just bought from aliexpress and seems like quite cui.

It's running Android 4.4 with kodi presinstalled. A lot of links/streams are not working in kodi. Worst thing is the system clock always reset back to default 1995 after power off. Quite frustrating.

Don't have dvb antenna but I just plug a coaxial cable into the box and was able to receive some local channels but a little choppy.

Anybody using similar box having similar issue?

Old 16-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #1061

If u refer to default installation by seller. It is normal that preinstall app/addon from any online merchant does not work..Anyway, I remember there are addons that work...juz manual install will do.... it always take time n effort to fine tune box to ur likeness...

It's running Android 4.4 with kodi presinstalled. A lot of links/streams are not working in kodi. Worst thing is the system clock always reset back to default 1995 after power off. Quite frustrating.

Don't have dvb antenna but I just plug a coaxial cable into the box and was able to receive some local channels but a little choppy.

Old 16-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #1062
Master Member

all tv box has no battery, you have to use internet time server to set the time. go to android setting page, looking for date/time tab, then enable automatice date and time, remember to set the time zone too.

if you can receive some choppy channels by a short cable, you should be able to get more than 90% strength with a cheaper $1.5 antenna from ebay.

k1 is a good box. However, it is the same as any other andriod tv box, you need to know what are the good apps and good addons.

read this thread for more info
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ea...a-5278938.html
Old 16-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #1063
Supremacy Member

Thanks for the advice. Looks like my issues are just teething problem. Quite a noob on tv box so will need to dig around more to see what works.

One more pain is the filmsy remote. It's quite laggy and unresponsive compared to tv remote. I don't think the box support Bluetooth but is there anyway to use my Android phone or Bluetooth kb to control the box? It's quite a pain to use the on screen keyboard.
If u refer to default installation by seller. It is normal that preinstall app/addon from any online merchant does not work..Anyway, I remember there are addons that work...juz manual install will do.... it always take time n effort to fine tune box to ur likeness...
all tv box has no battery, you have to use internet time server to set the time. go to android setting page, looking for date/time tab, then enable automatice date and time, remember to set the time zone too.

if you can receive some choppy channels by a short cable, you should be able to get more than 90% strength with a cheaper $1.5 antenna from ebay.

k1 is a good box. However, it is the same as any other andriod tv box, you need to know what are the good apps and good addons.

Old 16-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #1064

Yes there are app but from remote to mouse is more easier for newbie. Available option : Usb mouse, flymouse, bluetooth mouse/kb. Ur question more for tv box, best to get support in the link Greg give. Laggy n unresponsive maybe cause by those useless app tat are geoblock for a start....

Thanks for the advice. Looks like my issues are just teething problem. Quite a noob on tv box so will need to dig around more to see what works.

One more pain is the filmsy remote. It's quite laggy and unresponsive compared to tv remote. I don't think the box support Bluetooth but is there anyway to use my Android phone or Bluetooth kb to control the box? It's quite a pain to use the on screen keyboard.

Old 16-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #1065
Master Member

Any thread discussing recommended apps for Android TV box? Maybe can start one make it sticky.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.