HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Like Tree348Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #1486

No idea why the 2 have different preference. Only the manufacturer knows I think.
Maybe you can try to change the TV country settings to something European if available; like Netherlands/Finland/Germany...
Old 09-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #1487

Hi All,

I have a puzzling situation:

I have 2 TVs connected to Starhub SCV points and are using DVB-C on both.

On the first TV (Philips 50pft6709) which has a DVB-C tuner, all the FTA digital channels have the word "Analogue" below the Mediacorp logo and the images are definitely SD quality even though the transmission is digital.

For the second TV, I am using a set-top box (Openbox V8 pro) and this works fine in receiving digital full-HD programs. There is no "Analogue" word below the logo.

The frequency used on both are also different. For example, for Channel 5, the freq is 642 MHz on the Philips TV and 370 MHz on the set-top box. I have tried to manually tune to 370 MHz on the Philips TV but I only get SCV scrambled channels.

So my question is why the difference even when both are DVB-C and connected to Starhub SCV points? Can any expert explain please?

Thanks!
All Mediacorp's digital program on Starhub cable are unscrambled. Some TV will not even display the channel numbers for scrambled programmes.

Starhub's cable backend is able to detect what type of "official" set-top box you are using. Currently Ch5 is on 102 for all HD & SD set-top boxes (a year ago 155 is for HD5). The problem lies whether you are directed to the SD video or HD video.

Like I mentioned so many times, Starhub is pushing all their SD set-top box user to upgrade to HD IPTV stb. They will be ending their SD set-top box service very soon. Sooner than ASO.

For SD video, the analogue logo exists because Starhub is using the video feed meant for their analogue transmission in the cable. This analogue service is mandatory for Starhub by IMDA. The SD video has open captions whereas the HD video is closed captions, so easy way out for them is use the SD video.

Last edited by dexter9898; 09-01-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Old 09-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #1488

Sooner or later Starhub will shut down cable Tv so also can not use la. May be end 2018 or 2019.
Yup, heard they going to stop installing Starhub cable for new HDB flats.

IPTV - Yes to 4K streaming.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #1489

Yup, heard they going to stop installing Starhub cable for new HDB flats.

IPTV - Yes to 4K streaming.
I have a doubt, why not our gov just upgrade the exiting antenna to receive digital signal so that everyone can continue to use the scv port?
Old 09-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #1490

I have a doubt, why not our gov just upgrade the exiting antenna to receive digital signal so that everyone can continue to use the scv port?
Simple - MATV (Rooftop antenna) system requires regular maintenance and if for some reasons, the amplifier spoilt or antenna toppled during or after a heavy downpour. Whole block no TV to watch? Then how?
Old 09-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #1491
High Supremacy Member

SCV port transmit digital TV signal via DVB-C, which isn't what the government wants to heavily promote.

The main objective of the introduction of digital DVB-T2 network is to phase out the analogue TV network, to free out bandwidth spectrum for other uses such as 4G LTE/5G network for example.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #1492

Simple - MATV (Rooftop antenna) system requires regular maintenance and if for some reasons, the amplifier spoilt or antenna toppled during or after a heavy downpour. Whole block no TV to watch? Then how?
lol this sound like if starhub internet down then how?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #1493

SCV port transmit digital TV signal via DVB-C, which isn't what the government wants to heavily promote.

The main objective of the introduction of digital DVB-T2 network is to phase out the analogue TV network, to free out bandwidth spectrum for other uses such as 4G LTE/5G network for example.
I see... So SCV port is only transmit DVB-C not T2. Any idea why SCV port only transmit DVB-C? I still think if gov just upgrade the antenna, the SVC port should able to support both C and T2 digital signal.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #1494

Last night I bought the antenna from below seller, After installed and search only digital channel, I was soooo shocked of the clear HD image. But somehow I dunno where to navigate the "signal strength/quality" option and the subtitle options. One of my TV able to see subtitle but another one cant see.

"https://carousell.com/p/digital-tv-antenna-145803839/?ref=search&ref_query=digital%20antenna&ref_referrer=%2Fsearch%2Fproducts%2F%3Fquery%3Ddigital%2520antenna%26ref_querySource%3Dss_dropdown%26ref_suggestionSource%3Dtype_suggest&ref_reqId=pmnkxcmXBX9cYH8ahyNzka8Aqspepb3F&ref_querySource=ss_dropdown&ref_suggestionSource=type_suggest"
Old 10-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #1495
Arch-Supremacy Member

No different from SCV point as they have "amplifier" somewhere around the block of building.

No different to digital transmittion too as there is transmittion "cell" by area too.

If SMRT can have flood at one station result in serveral stations closed. Anything else can happen too.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #1496
Arch-Supremacy Member

lol this sound like if starhub internet down then how?
You will have more complication then this. For example, if you want SCV, and do not want Starhub fiber boardband. Then how? Same true goes to Singtel.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #1497
High Supremacy Member

I see... So SCV port is only transmit DVB-C not T2. Any idea why SCV port only transmit DVB-C? I still think if gov just upgrade the antenna, the SVC port should able to support both C and T2 digital signal.
The SCV port gets its signal through underground cables connected to StarHub infrastructure, and not through antenna on the roof. Therefore upgrading the antenna isn't a solution because it's of a different standard.

The C in DVB-C stands for Cable, meaning digital signal goes through cable. Whereas, the T in DVB-T2 stands for Terrestrial, meaning digital signal goes through via air.

Also, StarHub will be discontinuing cable services by 2020 and will be fully fibre after that, as the cable network lease period has been extended to 2020(originally cable network lease ends in 2017) and StarHub will unlikely renew the lease again.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #1498

The SCV port gets its signal through underground cables connected to StarHub infrastructure, and not through antenna on the roof. Therefore upgrading the antenna isn't a solution because it's of a different standard.

The C in DVB-C stands for Cable, meaning digital signal goes through cable. Whereas, the T in DVB-T2 stands for Terrestrial, meaning digital signal goes through via air.

Also, StarHub will be discontinuing cable services by 2020 and will be fully fibre after that, as the cable network lease period has been extended to 2020(originally cable network lease ends in 2017) and StarHub will unlikely renew the lease again.
thanks for your clear explanation!!!
Old 11-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #1499
Supremacy Member

Anybody experiencing very inconsistent volumes in Channel 8ís volume?
Old 11-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #1500

Heard that those residential buildings that will TOP in the later half of this year won't have any SCV point in the flats anymore.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.