HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Like Tree348Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #1576
High Supremacy Member

I have been buying dvb-t2 boxes via tb/ezbuy without issues. However this time I bought 2 boxes and none of them work! I did a one to one replacement of an existing box and antenna to perform scanning. Doesn’t work at all.. Anyone know the reason? It just does not scan any channels.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #1577
Supremacy Member

I have been buying dvb-t2 boxes via tb/ezbuy without issues. However this time I bought 2 boxes and none of them work! I did a one to one replacement of an existing box and antenna to perform scanning. Doesn’t work at all.. Anyone know the reason? It just does not scan any channels.
Not all PRC STB model will work here. Is it the same model you brought before? Listing the STB System Info like HW model and firmware would be helpful.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #1578

Other than poor reception, check if your DVB-T2 tuner inside the box is using and able to support DVB-T2 standard 1.3.1.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #1579

Reception poor, move antenna around 2 find best spot. Usually nearer 2 window gets better reception. Else use an active antenna
Whenever I hear people using the antenna, I always feel that Singapore is taking a step backwards.

Only in the 1970 - 1980s, Singaporeans are required to have 1 antenna in each home to tune to TV program....

Singapore really going backward.

My Dad was really surprised when I told him that we need an antenna connected to the TV and still need to position it to a good position to reach the signal. He was like wtf....
Old 07-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #1580

Exclamation TV Box for local channel

Hi all, not sure this is the correct thread but I really needed urgent advise.
Recently I cancelled my Starhub cable TV and my hub returned the TV Station yesterday. Then I realise my TV will not work since the SCV TV box is remove. I tried to connect my TV cable to the TV point that was move into the TV console by my id when the hse is new in 2010 but the image received are very distorted. Will need your advise on these question I have.

1) When we have the SCV TV box, is it that the TV will connect to the box then the box connect to the wall point?
2) If so, can I connect the TV directly to the same wall point to receive the channels properly.
3) With my attempt to connect the cable to the point in my tv console that didn't produce clear image, is it becos the point is not working properly?
4) If I were to get a DVB-T2 box, will it work like the SCV TV box where I connect my TV HDMI cable to the box then the box cable to the wall.

Sorry if I sound confusing as I am very green to all these and totally lost on what to do to get my TV work again.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #1581
Master Member

Hi all, not sure this is the correct thread but I really needed urgent advise.
Recently I cancelled my Starhub cable TV and my hub returned the TV Station yesterday. Then I realise my TV will not work since the SCV TV box is remove. I tried to connect my TV cable to the TV point that was move into the TV console by my id when the hse is new in 2010 but the image received are very distorted. Will need your advise on these question I have.

1) When we have the SCV TV box, is it that the TV will connect to the box then the box connect to the wall point?
2) If so, can I connect the TV directly to the same wall point to receive the channels properly.
3) With my attempt to connect the cable to the point in my tv console that didn't produce clear image, is it becos the point is not working properly?
4) If I were to get a DVB-T2 box, will it work like the SCV TV box where I connect my TV HDMI cable to the box then the box cable to the wall.

Sorry if I sound confusing as I am very green to all these and totally lost on what to do to get my TV work again.
1. yes
2. yes, analogue channels only
3. if it worked before you disconnected the starhub box, it should still be working. However, you need a cable with different connectors at both end, you can't reused the cable from starhub box.
4. no. You need to buy a dvb-t antenna.

Although you can still receive analog channel by using the correct cable connected to the starhub point, it is not the best solution - the picture is no good and the service will be terminated in a few month's time. It is better to get a dvb-t2 box with antenna.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #1582

1. yes
2. yes, analogue channels only
3. if it worked before you disconnected the starhub box, it should still be working. However, you need a cable with different connectors at both end, you can't reused the cable from starhub box.
4. no. You need to buy a dvb-t antenna.

Although you can still receive analog channel by using the correct cable connected to the starhub point, it is not the best solution - the picture is no good and the service will be terminated in a few month's time. It is better to get a dvb-t2 box with antenna.
Thank you for your advise.
So if I wan easier way, can I get a DVB-T2 box + a DVB-T antenna and follow the same connection like we do with the starhub box?

If I get a Doggle stick, and link with my M1 wifi, I can use my TV to watch youtube (preload in my Sony Bravia TV) but not the local TV channel right?

I personally dun watch TV programs but hv kids n elderly at home that wants that. What is the most cost effective and easy way to get it done?

Thanks alot
Old 07-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #1583
Master Member

Thank you for your advise.
So if I wan easier way, can I get a DVB-T2 box + a DVB-T antenna and follow the same connection like we do with the starhub box?

If I get a Doggle stick, and link with my M1 wifi, I can use my TV to watch youtube (preload in my Sony Bravia TV) but not the local TV channel right?

I personally dun watch TV programs but hv kids n elderly at home that wants that. What is the most cost effective and easy way to get it done?

Thanks alot

Bravia TV - what is the model no?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:42 PM   #1584

Bravia TV - what is the model no?
KDL-40EX600
Old 08-02-2018, 12:48 AM   #1585
Master Member

KDL-40EX600
The manual stated that it has dvb-c tuner, not sure whether it is compatible with starhub, if yes, you can still continue to use starhub's cable point to receive HD video, the quality should be the same as the starhub box. However, this is not a permanent solution as starhub is planning to shut down the cable signal in a few year's time.

If you want to try dvb-c, make sure that the RF cable is terminated with the right connector at the tv end.

The other option (better option) is dvb-t2 set top box.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #1586

The manual stated that it has dvb-c tuner, not sure whether it is compatible with starhub, if yes, you can still continue to use starhub's cable point to receive HD video, the quality should be the same as the starhub box. However, this is not a permanent solution as starhub is planning to shut down the cable signal in a few year's time.

If you want to try dvb-c, make sure that the RF cable is terminated with the right connector at the tv end.

The other option (better option) is dvb-t2 set top box.
Hi Gregory, so in other words, best way is to get a dvb-t2 box and an antenna n connect the way the starhub box was connected then it will be fine right?

Really thankful for your advice.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 AM   #1587
Master Member

Hi Gregory, so in other words, best way is to get a dvb-t2 box and an antenna n connect the way the starhub box was connected then it will be fine right?

Really thankful for your advice.
Yes. There are sellers in lazada/qoo10 selling these boxes at $20-$25, some come with option of buying $1/$2 antenna.

Suggest trying the $1/$2 antenna first. If the cheap antenna is not giving good picture, then buy active antenna to replace it. This thread has many posts about these antenna.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #1588

Whenever I hear people using the antenna, I always feel that Singapore is taking a step backwards.

Only in the 1970 - 1980s, Singaporeans are required to have 1 antenna in each home to tune to TV program....

Singapore really going backward.

My Dad was really surprised when I told him that we need an antenna connected to the TV and still need to position it to a good position to reach the signal. He was like wtf....
Everything is moving wireless and nearly all wireless technology requires an antenna (just whether it is big or small). Who is still using landline phone to call and not using a mobile phone? Mostly have WiFi router at home. People are still listening to FM radio. Blue-tooth headphones or devices also need antenna. Nowadays even cars are using RFID to unlock.

Antenna size (length) = Usually half the wavelength of transmitting frequency, but with the advancement of technology everyday, the antenna is getting smaller.
Higher frequency = Shorter antenna requirement = limited coverage even on high power

Last edited by dexter9898; 08-02-2018 at 09:37 AM..
Old 08-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #1589

Yes. There are sellers in lazada/qoo10 selling these boxes at $20-$25, some come with option of buying $1/$2 antenna.

Suggest trying the $1/$2 antenna first. If the cheap antenna is not giving good picture, then buy active antenna to replace it. This thread has many posts about these antenna.
Great. Will focus on that option then. Thanks again for the great help.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:23 AM   #1590
Master Member

Anyway there's no DVB-T antenna.
Only passive or active.

Passive does not need external power supply.
Like those rabbit ear antenna.

Active antenna draws power externally.
Usually by USB port.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.