HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Like Tree348Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #1696
High Supremacy Member

I got a samsung tv with dvb t2 tuner but not receiving the digital channels.

High floor in tiong bahru.

Is the coverage island wide already?

Shifted tv nearer to window (just beside windows) but no dice.
Old 15-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #1697
Master Member

I got a samsung tv with dvb t2 tuner but not receiving the digital channels.

High floor in tiong bahru.

Is the coverage island wide already?

Shifted tv nearer to window (just beside windows) but no dice.
do you have an antenna for dvb-t ?

if yes, what is the name/model no ?
Old 16-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #1698
High Supremacy Member

do you have an antenna for dvb-t ?

if yes, what is the name/model no ?
no antenna. so even if i buy a new tv with dvb-t2 tuner, still have to get an antenna?

i asked around, planning to try using a old hi-fi antenna and diy it
Old 16-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #1699
Master Member

Initially when I first got my DVB-T2, my quality was 100% without USB powering the antenna. Then later, it went down to 50,60 or 70%. Recently, back to 100%

I wonder what they did !
Old 16-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #1700
Master Member

no antenna. so even if i buy a new tv with dvb-t2 tuner, still have to get an antenna?

"hifi antenna" is for FM radio, it is not suitable for dvb.

It is easier to buy a new antenna, passive antenna is cheap, less than $10

If you want to diy, the easiest antenna to make is biquad antenna.

See this link for instructions.

https://blog.gtwang.org/diy/diy-digital-tv-antenna/

You can improve the reception by replacing cloth hanger wire with thick copper wire.

Last edited by gregory_choo; 16-03-2018 at 01:09 PM..
Old 16-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #1701

Initially when I first got my DVB-T2, my quality was 100% without USB powering the antenna. Then later, it went down to 50,60 or 70%. Recently, back to 100%

I wonder what they did !
Could be interference from other devices cable Power Up during the low signal outcome.
Old 16-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #1702
High Supremacy Member

"hifi antenna" is for FM radio, it is not suitable for dvb.

It is easier to buy a new antenna, passive antenna is cheap, less than $10

If you want to diy, the easiest antenna to make is biquad antenna.

See this link for instructions.

https://blog.gtwang.org/diy/diy-digital-tv-antenna/

You can improve the reception by replacing cloth hanger wire with thick copper wire.
ah okies.

i go courts to shop around...

active antenna is better right? I rather not buy something cheap and find it not working~

sighz, i know this probably been repeated multiple times but seriously a PITA for all these changes........
Old 17-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #1703

Hi Everyone, from the reviews I had gather, analog channels will seize at end of this year (donít know when is the actual date?). I wonder if Starhub would continue transmitting digital channels through cable and just charge us a nominal fee. So if this is true, does anyone know roughly how much will Starhub charge? I would not mind paying if the fee is not much.
This is rather important to me as I have a few harddisk recorders that could only receive cable transmission.
Thanks
Old 17-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #1704

Hi Everyone, from the reviews I had gather, analog channels will seize at end of this year (donít know when is the actual date?). I wonder if Starhub would continue transmitting digital channels through cable and just charge us a nominal fee. So if this is true, does anyone know roughly how much will Starhub charge? I would not mind paying if the fee is not much.
This is rather important to me as I have a few harddisk recorders that could only receive cable transmission.
Thanks
Analog tv end this yr, cable tv probably end 2019/20. Shld plan ahead.
SH & ST under their paid tv license has 2 carry FTA channels in their package. If u only need FTA channels u can get dvb-t2 STB for ur recorders. FTA channels r streamed over toggle app as well both live n vod.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 18-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #1705

Analog tv end this yr, cable tv probably end 2019/20. Shld plan ahead.
SH & ST under their paid tv license has 2 carry FTA channels in their package. If u only need FTA channels u can get dvb-t2 STB for ur recorders. FTA channels r streamed over toggle app as well both live n vod.

Hi Moron+Genius, thanks very much for the quick reply.
It is a very sad new for me. I have a few of Dvb-C receivers with Hdd timer recording feature that only could receive cable transmission. I will have to change the channels manually on the T2 box if my timer recordings are of different channels which is not possible for me.
I donít understand why Starhub would want to seize Dvb-C transmission on end 2019/20 as they had done all underground and aboveground cablings islandwide which is a huge sum of money. They should continue the Dvb-C transmission and charge us a small nominal sum like the yearly Tv & Radio license that everyone are paying previously. It would be a huge income for them.
I wonder, does anyone know if there is such a T2 Box that is having Dvb-C output? And if it has multiple amplified Dvb-C outputs, it will be awesome.
Old 18-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #1706

Hi Moron+Genius, thanks very much for the quick reply.
It is a very sad new for me. I have a few of Dvb-C receivers with Hdd timer recording feature that only could receive cable transmission. I will have to change the channels manually on the T2 box if my timer recordings are of different channels which is not possible for me.
I donít understand why Starhub would want to seize Dvb-C transmission on end 2019/20 as they had done all underground and aboveground cablings islandwide which is a huge sum of money. They should continue the Dvb-C transmission and charge us a small nominal sum like the yearly Tv & Radio license that everyone are paying previously. It would be a huge income for them.
I wonder, does anyone know if there is such a T2 Box that is having Dvb-C output? And if it has multiple amplified Dvb-C outputs, it will be awesome.
Dvb-t2 stb shld also haf recording function, go research a few of these boxes 2 c which suits u. My guess is itís not cost effective 4 them 2 maintain cable networks when thereís fibre network installed. Also itís due 2 licensing matter. Anyway like I said Time 2 move on. Enjoi while u can.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 18-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #1707

Dvb-t2 stb shld also haf recording function, go research a few of these boxes 2 c which suits u. My guess is itís not cost effective 4 them 2 maintain cable networks when thereís fibre network installed. Also itís due 2 licensing matter. Anyway like I said Time 2 move on. Enjoi while u can.
Thanks again for your quick reply, Moron+Genius!
The Dvb-C receivers I had bought cost me around S$1.2k for the first one if my memory is correct. What a waste, itís still very new.
By the way, any idea howís the fibre network operate? What sort of connection is on the output?
Old 19-03-2018, 12:51 AM   #1708
High Supremacy Member

Or you can test out your old FM & TV point connected to the rooftop antenna.
Some one from another thread tried and it worked.
Please take not that it is not the SCV point.
Old 19-03-2018, 02:18 AM   #1709
Master Member

Just gotten the first SMART TV in my life.
Now it needs an antenna to watch channel 5?
Fellow forummers, any recommendations for antenna?
Old 19-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #1710
High Supremacy Member

Or you can test out your old FM & TV point connected to the rooftop antenna.
Some one from another thread tried and it worked.
Please take not that it is not the SCV point.
Think the point does not exist liao.

not sure and I am not going to fiddle with it.

End up using the hifi antenna and it works~

Just need to touch up the contact a bit to hold in place properly.
Signal strength 100%.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.