Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

acertey

Reaction score
hi guys probably 1 of the worst question to ask in here. I have screen through the recommendations for set up box and antenna, but most were actually outdated for a while.

So based on current, what's value for money set up box and antenna? Was reading about the draco HTS 7770 and the funky 5.1.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys probably 1 of the worst question to ask in here. I have screen through the recommendations for set up box and antenna, but most were actually outdated for a while.

So based on current, what's value for money set up box and antenna? Was reading about the draco HTS 7770 and the funky 5.1.

value for money set top box - k2,k3 or similar box from qoo10 with $1 antenna.:)

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
We spent years to get people to move from over the air transmission to cable transmissions.

Strange now we expect everyone to move from such a reliable medium back to over the air again.

How much infrastructure gone to smoke?

Is it all countries also need to use antenna to get digital tv? Just wondering why the wall tv outlet cannot be changed to give out good digital signal then no need antenna.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Is the digital tv thing already stable now or they are still improving and making adjustments?

Maybe thinking to wait until Nov then setup digital box and antenna, maybe Nov more they stable, use lousy antenna also work very well.

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No stable at all. You need to buy antenna and placed it near the window or it will not work. It makes the setup full of wires and ulgy.

moron+genius

Reaction score
Is it all countries also need to use antenna to get digital tv? Just wondering why the wall tv outlet cannot be changed to give out good digital signal then no need antenna.
Hdb built since intro of cable tv progressively does not install master antenna hence can't receive the over the air digital tv signal. Those older hdb n condos tat still have master antenna can just plug into the wall pts for good stable signal.

moron+genius

Reaction score
No stable at all. You need to buy antenna and placed it near the window or it will not work. It makes the setup full of wires and ulgy.
Try changing the connecting cable between antenna n tv 2 RG6. It seems 2 improve the signal. I can just place my active antenna on tv console behind tv. Before changing I can't do tat.

twist_shout

Master Member
Reaction score
would like to know the expert here.

how come the wall socket doesn't works as it can accept analog signal. i mean its also an antenna on the rooftop? because i tried to used an old 'bunny years' tv antenna meant for receive analog signal and it is also able to receive the digital signal well.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, antenna will receive both analogue and digital signals.

But the signals have to be processed by the matv, which feeds the wall socket.

For extremely old matv designed only for VHF freqencies (Chan 2 to Chan 12), it will not be able to carry digital signal which is in the UHF Band IV and V (these are frequencies much higher than those in VHF). Remember MediaCorp only started UHF channels much later?

For matv designed for both VHF and UHF, then generally it will carry both analogue and digital signal. However, there are exceptions. In system with older standards, they may not be able to receive all the channels broadcast by MediaCorp. For such cases, digial reception is not certain.

For such system with newer standards, if the tv can receive all the MediaCorp analogue channels transmitted in UHF (Vas, U, Octo and CNA) well, then the wall socket will have all the digital channels as well.

Last edited:

franco8822

Reaction score
Use digital can boost sales and help economy. Must buy new Tv and antenna. But the electronics waste will be huge I foresee.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
If your picture quality is poor, is it important to try different digital tv box or is it only important to try different antenna?
I guess digital tv box does not matter to picture quality because since digital inbuilt tv cannot change digital box correct?

If lets say in your home same position you bought 10 different digital TV boxes brands and try (connect with a same old non digital tv and same antenna) one by one, will they give you the same quality picture?

If lets say in your home same position you try 10 different antenna brands (connect with a same old non digital tv and same digital tv box) will they give you the same quality picture?

Last edited:

dexter9898

Reaction score
If your picture quality is poor, is it important to try different digital tv box or is it only important to try different antenna?
I guess digital tv box does not matter to picture quality because since digital inbuilt tv cannot change digital box correct?

The TV panel and inbuilt processor are the crucial components for a good picture. But this is very subjective, some people like to see sharp picture and others might like softer picture. Korean brands tv colors are always very bright and saturated compared to Japanese brands, etc..

If lets say in your home same position you bought 10 different digital TV boxes brands and try (connect with a same old non digital tv and same antenna) one by one, will they give you the same quality picture?

No, each digital set-top boxes might be using different video processor chip from different manufacturers.

If lets say in your home same position you try 10 different antenna brands (connect with a same old non digital tv and same digital tv box) will they give you the same quality picture?

Yes, antenna only assist the tuner to receive RF signals. The tuner will decode the RF signals into digital signal either "1" or "0". There are error correcting methods to correct the 1 or 0 if the tuner decode it wrongly. If the tuner cannot decode correctly, you will get pixelization like watching pirated VCD.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the use of antenna out? I know we connect yo TV using hdmi or the lousier component cable or rca cable.. But antenna out to where?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
@super365

Add on to comments by dexter9898...

Stb like AC Ryan has display setting which allows for adjustment of brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and sharpness for fine tuning of "picture quality", if this is what you meant by picture quality.

For stb such as Draco 7100 without such feature, the video output setting is determined by the chips and probably firmware employed. The video output across different stb may not be identiical.

As for "reception quality", which means either you see the video displayed, pixelated, frozen or no picture at all, it depends on the tuner's (either built-in or external) sensitivity. You may have a good location and sensitive antenna. But if the received signal is below the sensitivity (threshold) of the tuner, you would not be to watch the video. This is called the "cliff effect". Below the cliff and you see nothing or pixelated, frozen pic; above and you see "perfect picture".

Edit: Btw, I found Draco has better sensitivity than AC Ryan.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
What is the use of antenna out? I know we connect yo TV using hdmi or the lousier component cable or rca cable.. But antenna out to where?
For those who use wall sockets which carry analogue and digital signals.

The antenna out, when connected to antenna in of tv set, let you continue to watch analogue tv programmes.

This avoids the need to use a splitter.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who use wall sockets which carry analogue and digital signals.

The antenna out, when connected to antenna in of tv set, let you continue to watch analogue tv programmes.

This avoids the need to use a splitter.

Thx for the explanation..

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
@super365

Add on to comments by dexter9898...

Stb like AC Ryan has display setting which allows for adjustment of brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and sharpness for fine tuning of "picture quality", if this is what you meant by picture quality.

For stb such as Draco 7100 without such feature, the video output setting is determined by the chips and probably firmware employed. The video output across different stb may not be identiical.

As for "reception quality", which means either you see the video displayed, pixelated, frozen or no picture at all, it depends on the tuner's (either built-in or external) sensitivity. You may have a good location and sensitive antenna. But if the received signal is below the sensitivity (threshold) of the tuner, you would not be to watch the video. This is called the "cliff effect". Below the cliff and you see nothing or pixelated, frozen pic; above and you see "perfect picture".

Edit: Btw, I found Draco has better sensitivity than AC Ryan.

Draco, AC Ryan compare with those K2, K3 (from qoo10) is the picture quality big difference easily spotted by normal eyes?

K2, K3 can get picture quality good like analog tv quality?

As long as can get picture like as good as analog tv picture I am happy already. I change to digital is only because no choice analog will end this year.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Draco, AC Ryan compare with those K2, K3 (from qoo10) is the picture quality big difference easily spotted by normal eyes?

K2, K3 can get picture quality good like analog tv quality?

As long as can get picture like as good as analog tv picture I am happy already. I change to digital is only because no choice analog will end this year.
Pictures as seen using digital signal are much better than what you get from analogue. Don't you have friends who can demonstrate to you?

But if you are looking for differences across different stb, I would advise that pic quality involves more than the 5 variances that I have mentioned earlier. If you have eagle eyes and are using high-end tv, then perhaps you may be able to tell the differences.

On the other hand, if you are using low end budget tv set, I would say forget it. Just go out and buy a stb or digital ready tv that suits you and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.