Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
quick questions to the experts here:

Bought a Sony TV (2016 model) can receive all local digital channels , but if i try putting the wire cable (from the starhub point) to my v8 golden box (DVB-T2 capable box) - I cant even see the local channels...

Any idea why?
Starhub point has only DVB-C and analogue signals. It doesn't not provide DVB-T2 signals (see post #4 for details, though it is not updated).

Did you select cable during your antenna setup for the V8?

Btw, where is the source of digital signal for your Sony?

yhrt98

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a K2 STB. Managed to successfully autoscan all Singapore digital channels (Ch5, 8, Okto, CNA, Suria, Vasantham) when STB was first set up.

However, the channel numbers assigned by the STB are not intuitive, e.g. Channel 1 on the STB is now Mediacorp Channel 5
Channel 3 on the STB is now MediaCorp Channel 8, etc.

I understand it is possible to remap the STB channels manually to the preferred MediaCorp channel, e.g.
STB Channel 5 to MediaCorp Channel 5,
STB Channel 8 to MediaCorp Channel 8,
STB Channel 9 to MediaCorp Channel U, etc.

I tried to do so via "manual search" in the K2 STB interface, but after entering the Manual Search screen, I get stuck. The only editable field in that screen is the Frequency Channel, but after changing that field, it seems that there is no other field I can click to edit. The "Frequency (MHz)" and "Bandwidth" fields are read-only and merely show the data for the given "Frequency Channel". I was not able to edit them, no matter what button I press on the remote control.

So my queries are:

1. Would someone be kind enough to give a step-by-step instruction on how to map say K2 STB Channel 9 to MediaCorp Channel U?

2. What are the actual DVB-T2 frequencies for the various MediaCorp channels? I couldn't find them on IMDA's website. The info on the first page of this thread (Post #3 and #4) also didn't seem to be updated and not quite consistent with that on Wikipedia (e.g.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediacorp_Channel_U). For instance, Channel U (HD) info is missing from Post #4 Excel screenshot.

For anyone's kind advice please :)

Not sure about re-mapping, don't think it's possible on this STB.

For my case, I prefer to have all the frequent channel listed at the top. So what I did was to sort it accordingly, moving the channel around. But one thing I noted is that turn off LCN and set sorting method to "By ONID" is require in order to preserve the list.

Thanx to all who had replied.

What I found was that it is only possible to do is to reorder the (autoscanned) channels. This means that after autoscanning the channels, and the STB found 8, I can then move say MediaCorp Channel 5 to become the STB Channel 1, MediaCorp Okto to STB Channel 2, etc.

It's not possible to arbitrarily map, say K2 STB Channel 12 to MediaCorp Okto channel, because the Program Editor doesn't allow me to assign any channel after STB Channel 9 to anything else. Neither am I allowed to assign dummy channels at the top of the channel list to pad and bump the desired channels down the channel number list.

To reorder the channels:

1. Under the first tab (“Program”), change the Sort field to“By ONID” (to ensure the reordered channels are saved.

2. Under the Program tab, click “Program Edit”. You’ll need toenter a password. It’s “888888”.
3. To Move a channel, select it using the arrow keys, thenclick the red “Move” button. Then use the same arrow keys to move it up anddown the Channel number list. After moving to desired position, click the red Move button again to release it, andmove on to another channel to move.

Note:
Clicking the Yellow “Lock” button on a channel means a userneeds to input the 888888 password to even just watch the show. “Lock” does not meanthe position of the channel is “locked”.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@yhrt98, do take note that the moment you do a channel re-scan, all the list will be back to default which I think is based on LCN.

As for the "Lock" feature, think that is the parental lock function to prevent young children from watching certain channel, not really that applicable here.

zened88

Reaction score
Starhub point has only DVB-C and analogue signals. It doesn't not provide DVB-T2 signals (see post #4 for details, though it is not updated).

Did you select cable during your antenna setup for the V8?

Btw, where is the source of digital signal for your Sony?

hey thanks for the follow up!

- appreciate the info on the starhub point. I was feeding the digital signal to the Sony tv via the HDB MATB.

My fix:

Contacted HDB who got their technician to come and solve the wiring problems outside my flat, he said the main something* wasnt working and he fixed it.

Now can use the V8 for the analogue signals from the starhub point.

Cheers!

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for the follow up!

- appreciate the info on the starhub point. I was feeding the digital signal to the Sony tv via the HDB MATB.

My fix:

Contacted HDB who got their technician to come and solve the wiring problems outside my flat, he said the main something* wasnt working and he fixed it.

Now can use the V8 for the analogue signals from the starhub point.

Cheers!
Thanks for the update.

But friend, the V8 has no analogue tuner! The HDB contractor must have switched the connection from starhub network to the HDB MATV and you are now watching tv in dvb-t2 format. You can verify this by checking your set up for antenna installation as mentioned in my earlier advice.

From the info gathered so far, your apartment has both MATV and starhub points. And the starhub point was installed for you free during the SCV initial island-wide roll out in the '90 (or installed later when you became a Starhub subscriber).

And here is the bad news for you. You can take this as fake news, but when MediaCorp shut down the analogue tv transmission, scheduled by end of the year, the HDB MATV will also be switched off. By then you have to rely on indoor antennae to receive the digital signal.

zened88

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

But friend, the V8 has no analogue tuner! The HDB contractor must have switched the connection from starhub network to the HDB MATV and you are now watching tv in dvb-t2 format. You can verify this by checking your set up for antenna installation as mentioned in my earlier advice.

From the info gathered so far, your apartment has both MATV and starhub points. And the starhub point was installed for you free during the SCV initial island-wide roll out in the '90 (or installed later when you became a Starhub subscriber).

And here is the bad news for you. You can take this as fake news, but when MediaCorp shut down the analogue tv transmission, scheduled by end of the year, the HDB MATV will also be switched off. By then you have to rely on indoor antennae to receive the digital signal.

oops got it thanks for all the info! really appreciate your guidance here :)

Kyo19

Reaction score
is dvb-t tuner the only way to watch HD5 channel? When i was in courts asking about how to receive HD channel, i saw that they are using AC ryans and i notice that they dont need the standard TV cable. I asked them where is the source, they told me its using RF technology??? Whats the difference between dvb-t tuner and that RF ac ryans box?
total noobs here

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is dvb-t tuner the only way to watch HD5 channel? When i was in courts asking about how to receive HD channel, i saw that they are using AC ryans and i notice that they dont need the standard TV cable. I asked them where is the source, they told me its using RF technology??? Whats the difference between dvb-t tuner and that RF ac ryans box?
total noobs here

AFAIK,
If you are a pay TV subscriber (StarhubTV or SingtelTV), the existing setup will allow you to watch the digital content.
If you aren't and your existing TV is does not support DVB-T2, then you need a separate DVB-T2 set-top box.
All is RF except the existing is analogue and the newer one is digital.
AC Ryan is one brand of DVB-T2 set-top box. There are many other brands.

http://www1.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv/tech.html

yosemi

Reaction score
the DVB-T2 supported TV still need the analogue cable or not?

or it fetch signal from the air ?

Kyo19

Reaction score

thats what im trying to understand also, that AC ryan seem to fetch wirelessly, the courts guy seem to imply that also and wasnt keen to explain to me.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the thing is the ac ryan does not seem to need cable like this http://images.esellerpro.com/2485/I/796/4/2TV-01BK.jpg
http://www.indiantelevision.com/sit...ges/cable_tv_images/2015/04/22/cable_wire.jpg
All i see is hdmi connect to the TV can liao . The tv is LG oled C7T model, it doesnt come with built in dvb-T2 i think??

Did they broadcast the HD channels?
Maybe they have new technology that can hide the antenna.
IMHO, antenna is definately needed - I just moved my antenna to another location 1m away and my signal strength/qualtiy dropped 50%.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
total noobs here

Digital ready tv and dvb-t2 set top box such as AC Ryan, have dvb-t2 tuners which receive rf signals through the antenna input.

The antenna coaxial cable is used to connect the rf source, like matv point, starhub point, or indoor antenna to the tuner. When the ambient signal is strong, the coaxial cable alone can pick up the rf and provide satisfactory reception.

In a showroom evironment, reception using indoor antenna will mostly likely to be difficult.

If you didn't see any coaxial cable being plug in to the AC Ryan, probably they are feeding the set top box with programmes (recording or otherwise) through the hdmi port.

bigdeal88

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm v confused and hope someone can guide me. I'm using starhub with no problem watching any channels at the moment. My Tv is a LG model with DVb-t2.

I am cancelling my starhub and so I tried to install mediacorp channels under auto tuning, but always no signal found. What steps do I missed?

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm v confused and hope someone can guide me. I'm using starhub with no problem watching any channels at the moment. My Tv is a LG model with DVb-t2.

I am cancelling my starhub and so I tried to install mediacorp channels under auto tuning, but always no signal found. What steps do I missed?

Maybe no antenna.

yhw22

Master Member
Reaction score

Antenna don't plug to the wall socket. As digital is thru satellite, so u may also need to adjust your antenna.

Sent from Sony SGP621 using GAGT

Last edited:

bigdeal88

Master Member
Reaction score
My tv doesn't come with any antenna, only has antenna port. Likely it means I'll have to buy antenna?

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Antenna don't plug to the wall socket. As digital is thru satellite, so u may also need to adjust your antenna.

Sent from Sony SGP621 using GAGT
DVB-T2 is through ground base transmission:
RTRS-transmitter.jpg

DVB-S2 is the satellite standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.