HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Like Tree348Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #1111

Need help from pros, just give up starhub box n tried to tune the channel of my philips 50PFT6709 which is a DVB-T2 tv. But i can find any hd channels. At the setting there is DVB-T and DVB-C which should i select n why i can find hd channels like hd5, hd8 etc? Thanks.
DVB-C is for connecting to the wall Starhub cable point, no need antenna. When auto scanning it will also pick up SH's encrypted paid cable TV channels but of course can't watch any of them, later also troublesome to delete the channels if want to tidy up. You'll get the Mediacorp HD channels but note they won't be as sharp & clear as receiving DVB-T2 using antenna. I've scanned using both DVB-C and DVB-T to compare, and the difference is quite noticeable. Using DVB-C also got free sports channel (Hub Sports Arena?). But dunno when SH will finally pull the plug on cable connections, maybe 2020?
Old 20-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #1112

all dvb-t2 tv need external antenna.
Oic, but how come my friend LG tv just connect to scv wall pt can have hd channels?
Old 20-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #1113

I used a spitter on scv pt, 1 for tv n 1 for modem. If it's a DVB-T2 tv, why still need external antenna? External antenna is it mean the external DVB-T2 box?
If your TV already has DVB-T2 tuner, then it doesn't need another external DVB-T2 set top box but still need external antenna. The STB is for older TVs that don't support DVB-T2 (the STB still needs an antenna). And an external antenna is a separate thing from the STB.

Some people have simply disconnected the cable from the SH cable point, leaving it exposed at that end, and actually managed to tune in to DVB-T2 HD channels. Others used ancient antennas from decades ago. After trying all other methods some unlucky ones simply had to open wallet to buy expensive powerful active antennas. It's really up to your individual situation.
Old 20-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #1114

Oic, but how come my friend LG tv just connect to scv wall pt can have hd channels?
I googled the specs of your Philips TV, it only mentions DVB-T/T2 tuner and nothing about DVB-C tuner; this means you have to use external antenna and cannot connect to wall cable point. Your friend's LG TV should also have DVB-C tuner and that's why he can receive (presume he's not using SH pay-TV).
Old 20-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #1115

If your TV already has DVB-T2 tuner, then it doesn't need another external DVB-T2 set top box but still need external antenna. The STB is for older TVs that don't support DVB-T2 (the STB still needs an antenna). And an external antenna is a separate thing from the STB.

Some people have simply disconnected the cable from the SH cable point, leaving it exposed at that end, and actually managed to tune in to DVB-T2 HD channels. Others used ancient antennas from decades ago. After trying all other methods some unlucky ones simply had to open wallet to buy expensive powerful active antennas. It's really up to your individual situation.
Noted n thanks for your explanation, learn something new today cos too depend on scv box already, now no scv box like blur sotong. Any good recommendation for a good external antenna?

Old 20-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #1116

I googled the specs of your Philips TV, it only mentions DVB-T/T2 tuner and nothing about DVB-C tuner; this means you have to use external antenna and cannot connect to wall cable point. Your friend's LG TV should also have DVB-C tuner and that's why he can receive (presume he's not using SH pay-TV).
Thanks bro, u r very helpful.
Old 20-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #1117
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks bro, u r very helpful.
Active Digital antenna which is powered by usb is quite cheap $29-$49 only.
Old 20-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #1118
Arch-Supremacy Member

i bought the active antenna powered by usb for $29 from newmedia solutions from best denki but sadly it doesn't work cos i think its due to living in low floor.

anyone got any recommendation for a more powerful active antenna?
Old 20-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #1119

Active Digital antenna which is powered by usb is quite cheap $29-$49 only.
Thanks

Old 20-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #1120
Great Supremacy Member

I'm using this indoor active antenna, works great for more than 1.5 year

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/WAVECOM-AN...TIVE/420111048
Old 20-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #1121

If I live in top floor of my HDB block level 8, do I still need powered antenna?
Old 20-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #1122

Just an update: The remote control unit sucks. It has a slow internal short and my new batteries are all fully discharged after about 5 weeks. Without the remote control, the set is useless because it will only show the last channel selected. There is totally no other buttons on its panel.

Although I have encountered such similar leakage problems before on other remote control units like my old retired TV and fans, but they only happened after several years of usage, which I think is fair. Also, these remote controls have standalone transistors and/or capacitors which are usually the cause of the current leakage and can be easily purchased and replaced. However, this set top box's remote control is a 1-piece PCB with only an embedded enamel encapsulated IC chip on it. There's no transistor nor capacitor to replace.

So, I'm left with 2 choices: remove at least 1 battery after every use or make a switch to connect the batteries only when required. I then installed a mini tact switch at its side and will need to press it with my last finger during each use. A bit inconvenient but at least it can still work. Considering that this is a brand new product when purchased, I can only say that the quality of China products are indeed "hit & run".
I bought similar remote control from eBay to replace the K2 standard issue. Works perfectly out of the box. Much more responsive than the original one. Can consider this one for your replacement.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/222677081633
csc12345678 likes this.
Old 20-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #1123
Supremacy Member

I bought similar remote control from eBay to replace the K2 standard issue. Works perfectly out of the box. Much more responsive than the original one. Can consider this one for your replacement.
Setting for the TV control buttons is kind of confusing and doesn't always work. Whilst STB side work out of the box but as usual some of the buttons are not that responsive.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #1124

Setting for the TV control buttons is kind of confusing and doesn't always work. Whilst STB side work out of the box but as usual some of the buttons are not that responsive.
For this one, all buttons work well. I also manage to control my Sony TV with the 4 TV buttons.
csc12345678 likes this.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #1125
Supremacy Member

For this one, all buttons work well. I also manage to control my Sony TV with the 4 TV buttons.
Perhaps it's due to the unknown TV brand that I'm using. Anyway, managed to get the TV Power button working which is the most important.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.