Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Like Tree348Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #1471

DVB-C

Hi All,

I have a puzzling situation:

I have 2 TVs connected to Starhub SCV points and are using DVB-C on both.

On the first TV (Philips 50pft6709) which has a DVB-C tuner, all the FTA digital channels have the word "Analogue" below the Mediacorp logo and the images are definitely SD quality even though the transmission is digital.

For the second TV, I am using a set-top box (Openbox V8 pro) and this works fine in receiving digital full-HD programs. There is no "Analogue" word below the logo.

The frequency used on both are also different. For example, for Channel 5, the freq is 642 MHz on the Philips TV and 370 MHz on the set-top box. I have tried to manually tune to 370 MHz on the Philips TV but I only get SCV scrambled channels.

So my question is why the difference even when both are DVB-C and connected to Starhub SCV points? Can any expert explain please?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #1472
Master Member

Hi All,

On the first TV (Philips 50pft6709) which has a DVB-C tuner, all the FTA digital channels have the word "Analogue" below the Mediacorp logo and the images are definitely SD quality even though the transmission is digital.

For the second TV, I am using a set-top box (Openbox V8 pro) and this works fine in receiving digital full-HD programs. There is no "Analogue" word below the logo.

The frequency used on both are also different. For example, for Channel 5, the freq is 642 MHz on the Philips TV and 370 MHz on the set-top box. I have tried to manually tune to 370 MHz on the Philips TV but I only get SCV scrambled channels.

So my question is why the difference even when both are DVB-C and connected to Starhub SCV points? Can any expert explain please?

Thanks!
The SVC port still carry analog channels until end of this year. What you see are the analog channels.

Your philips tv can only receive DVB-T/T2 signals. You need to buy a small DVB-T antenna

Mediacorp purposely put the word analogue there so that it is easier for everybody to tell the difference.

Last edited by gregory_choo; 08-01-2018 at 02:54 PM..
Old 08-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #1473

Hi All,

Thanks!
If u can c scrambled SH channels using other STB tat means u r watching illegal contents 😂 beware!!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #1474

The SVC port still carry analog channels until end of this year. What you see are the analog channels.

Your philips tv can only receive DVB-T/T2 signals. You need to buy a small DVB-T antenna

Mediacorp purposely put the word analogue there so that it is easier for everybody to tell the difference.
My Philips TV has a DVB-C tuner so it can connect to SCV points to receive the FTA channels carried by Starhub. I am just puzzled why it can't get the HD channels while my STB (also DVB-C) can.

If u can c scrambled SH channels using other STB tat means u r watching illegal contents 😂 beware!!
I can't really view the scrambled channels, the TV just reports "Scrambled Channel" when I select that channel.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #1475
Master Member

My Philips TV has a DVB-C tuner so it can connect to SCV points to receive the FTA channels carried by Starhub. I am just puzzled why it can't get the HD channels while my STB (also DVB-C) can.

Tuner spec for Philips 50pft6709

Old 08-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #1476
Master Member

So Starhub no longer broadcast free-to-air digital channels on cable ?

OK. I see Philips 50pft6709 does not have DVB-C.

Can someone with DVB-C confirm whether it's possible to receive HD channels on Starhub cable ?

Last edited by peterchan75; 08-01-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Old 08-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #1477

Tuner spec for Philips 50pft6709

From the manual:

Old 08-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #1478

So Starhub no longer broadcast free-to-air digital channels on cable ?
Yes it does, but I am just asking why I can't get digital HD on one TV but I can on another even when both TVs are connected via the same method.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #1479
High Supremacy Member

From the manual:

The Singapore variant of your Philips TV doesn't seem to support DVB-C..
https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/50PFT...specifications
Old 08-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #1480
Master Member

From the manual:

sometimes philips produces only one manual for many models in a series. e.g. instead of stating 5250/98 in the front cover, it uses 5200 serires. There are variances in the series.

The better place to check is the spec from the singapore philips website.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #1481
Master Member

Yes it does, but I am just asking why I can't get digital HD on one TV but I can on another even when both TVs are connected via the same method.
You mention somewhere that you only see scrambled signal. This leads me to think that Starhub may no longer broadcast free-to-air digital signal on their cable.

I just bought a tv box with DVB-C last week. I may be able to confirm when I get the box this week.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #1482

Aiya, he already said he able to tune to the 370MHz scrambled signals (of course can't descramble lah!). So his Philips TV is DVB-C capable lah.....!?

The issue is that the Philips TV somehow did not install channel 5. Normally, even if a program is scrambled, it should still show in the TV list mah... unless it has some special signalling that tell the TV to "hide" it ... so maybe the TV strictly follow the rule..

If I remembered correctly, previously some forumers reported that their DVB-C TV suddenly cannot received digital Mediacorp programs on starhub cable.... not sure what happen now...
Old 08-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #1483
Arch-Supremacy Member

Aiya, he already said he able to tune to the 370MHz scrambled signals (of course can't descramble lah!). So his Philips TV is DVB-C capable lah.....!?

The issue is that the Philips TV somehow did not install channel 5. Normally, even if a program is scrambled, it should still show in the TV list mah... unless it has some special signalling that tell the TV to "hide" it ... so maybe the TV strictly follow the rule..

If I remembered correctly, previously some forumers reported that their DVB-C TV suddenly cannot received digital Mediacorp programs on starhub cable.... not sure what happen now...
Sooner or later Starhub will shut down cable Tv so also can not use la. May be end 2018 or 2019.

Last edited by Henry Ng; 08-01-2018 at 06:49 PM..
Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #1484

Fibre TV
Sooner or later Starhub will shut down cable Tv so also can not use la. May be end 2018 or 2019.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #1485

DVB-C

From the 4th message in this thread:

Starhub actually carries 3 versions for each FTA channel:

Taking channel 5 as example:
1. 175.25 MHz - Analog SD
2. 642 MHz - Digital SD
3. 370 MHz - Digital HD

My Philips TV is able to receive both (1) & (2) but not (3)

My STB receives only (3) but not (2)

So what dictates whether a device receives (2) or (3)?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.