Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

boonkang

Reaction score
try the $2 type first.

Just to share. TLDR (too long don't read) :)

I have tried both active & passive antennas.

Summary: If antenna can be placed at good/ideal position -- active antenna does not have much advantage over the passive antenna.

The passive antenna I tried is the cheapo $2 type antenna that Gregory (usually) ask people to try first:
https://www.lazada.sg/products/1x-h...o42.searchlist.list.4.6b0f1bf5WfsPqi&search=1

I bought a K2 DVB-T2 digital TV receiver set top box (STB) -- used by many other people:
https://shopee.sg/Full-HD-1080P-K2-...trial-MPEG4-PVR-Receiver-i.19067988.315325734

My K2 DVB-T2 STB is placed in front of my TV -- which is (actually) not too far away (2-3m) from the window.

The cheapo $2 passive antenna can't view/receive Mediacorp DVB-T2 channels properly -- if placed next to the TV.

The cable length of the cheapo $2 passive antenna is (only) about 1m -- not long enough for me to place the passive antenna at the window.

So I bought a 2m coaxial extension cable:
https://www.lazada.sg/products/2m-m...42.searchlist.list.29.19b21719nJi6L6&search=1

Using the coaxial extension cable, I'm now able to place the cheapo $2 antenna at the window.

To my (pleasant) surprise, when using the cheapo $2 antenna placed at the window, I can receive all Mediacorp DVB-T2 channels properly. Moreover, signal quality of some channels (e.g. Ch 5) can be as high as 90% !!

The point I want to make is that -- if can placed at good/ideal location -- even cheapo $2 antenna can work.

Above correlates to why Gregory (usually) advise people to try the cheapo $2 antenna first.

Last edited:

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ask you all for advice. My parent's HDB flat structure a bit unique has two living rooms, so we have two TV too. We are still using analogue TV for both living rooms. How would you advise me to fully utilize whatever gadgets I may need? Btw, we don't subscribe to cable tv at home, so we don't have mio and starhub box.

Thanks

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to share. TLDR (too long don't read) :)

I have tried both active & passive antennas.

Summary: If antenna can be placed at good/ideal position -- active antenna does not have much advantage over the passive antenna.

The passive antenna I tried is the cheapo $2 type antenna that Gregory (usually) ask people to try first:
https://www.lazada.sg/products/1x-h...o42.searchlist.list.4.6b0f1bf5WfsPqi&search=1

I bought a K2 DVB-T2 digital TV receiver set top box (STB) -- used by many other people:
https://shopee.sg/Full-HD-1080P-K2-...trial-MPEG4-PVR-Receiver-i.19067988.315325734

My K2 DVB-T2 STB is placed in front of my TV -- which is (actually) not too far away (2-3m) from the window.

The cheapo $2 passive antenna can't view/receive Mediacorp DVB-T2 channels properly -- if placed next to the TV.

The cable length of the cheapo $2 passive antenna is (only) about 1m -- not long enough for me to place the passive antenna at the window.

So I bought a 2m coaxial extension cable:
https://www.lazada.sg/products/2m-m...42.searchlist.list.29.19b21719nJi6L6&search=1

Using the coaxial extension cable, I'm now able to place the cheapo $2 antenna at the window.

To my (pleasant) surprise, when using the cheapo $2 antenna placed at the window, I can receive all Mediacorp DVB-T2 channels properly. Moreover, signal quality of some channels (e.g. Ch 5) can be as high as 90% !!

The point I want to make is that -- if can placed at good/ideal location -- even cheapo $2 antenna can work.

Above correlates to why Gregory (usually) advise people to try the cheapo $2 antenna first.

To add.

If you owned any old VCR or DVD recorder, you should have the coaxial extension cable. It is the RF cable for you to connect from recorder to TV RF input.

Saymilo

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for external antenna? For landed. Don't see the need for so many small ones.

d4rkw1sH

Reaction score
only courts carry draco? even their website to check for stock is not reliable. went harvey norman only saw NMS. yet to try best denki or gain city still looking for the draco in the west side.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
only courts carry draco? even their website to check for stock is not reliable. went harvey norman only saw NMS. yet to try best denki or gain city still looking for the draco in the west side.
Most retailers seems to carry NMS model only, Draco model quite rare to be found nowadays.. :s22:

Btw, Courts don't have stock for digital TV set top boxes at all Courts outlets.

weeza77

Reaction score
normally if the tv has RGB component input, it should have composite input too.

Look for yellow connector - left side, right side, behind, top and bottom.

If really cannot find, then you need to buy a converter.

hdmi to component RGB (or YPbPr) converter.

please note that component video is analog, it may still give you near 720p resolution, however, it demands high quality cable, else you will see interference pattern on the screen.

one example

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...-video-and-R-L-audio-Adapter/32814528525.html

Just to highlight Component connections can support 1080p.

d4rkw1sH

Reaction score
Most retailers seems to carry NMS model only, Draco model quite rare to be found nowadays.. :s22:

Btw, Courts don't have stock for digital TV set top boxes at all Courts outlets.

learnt it the hard way checked their website see got stock at some outlet went down then found out actually is no more stock.

YoYoMa88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guess this has been used here for some time already
pooYUaTl.jpg

y6hU4m3l.jpg

Am looking forward to receiving it

Last edited:

Blindaim

Master Member
Reaction score
I bought the Hyundai DVBT2 box connected to a passive 3 dbi gain antenna, can get all sg channel with good picture quality but there is buzzing sound from each channel (like sound of electric current and echo effect) ... swapped with another 20 dbi gain antenna, changed HDMI connection to RCA connection ..even exchange to another Hyundai box still got the buzzing sound ..my TV sound on the analogue channel is normal without connected to the Hyundai DVBT2 box, anyone has similar issue?

Try go through the TV and box audio options. Off anything that give audio boost.

redglue23

Reaction score
AVOID THE "BLUE" BOX DVB-T2 = Super high failure rate within 3 months

AVOID THE "BLUE" BOX DVB-T2 = Super high failure rate within 3 months

f76bda9d-63fc-4b18-83ed-25f9b4785b85.s_400-w-fs_s.jpg

bellick

Reaction score
Was just told to settle this Digital TV issue for my grandmother.

She has the letter for the $100 redemption. Should i just redeem the standard setup box and antenna? Or if i utilize the 100 voucher at courts, best denki etc, any recommendations on the best combination to utilize the voucher?

Thanks in advance!

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

She has the letter for the $100 redemption. Should i just redeem the standard setup box and antenna? Or if i utilize the 100 voucher at courts, best denki etc, any recommendations on the best combination to utilize the voucher?

Thanks in advance!
Does your grandma's TV support DVB-T2? If it does, then can use the $100 voucher to redeem indoor antenna for it.

Otherwise, you can redeem the standard setup box and antenna online or use the $100 voucher to redeem the setup box and antenna at participating electronic stores.

sporeknight76

Master Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Hw soon yr grandma wan watch digital? Nwadys the 4 retailers no stocks for STB, So u may wana go online redemption or collect fr starhub. If tv oledi gt dvb-t2, then jus get atenna fr the 4 retailers.

Or if her tv old n gt problem, may use the voucher buy digital tv but mayb limit models to choose fr n mayb higher price. Pls chk.

Prideguy

Reaction score
Guys I need your advice on my best option for my case as follows:

- Owns 2 Digital Ready TVs at home (i.e. don't need any STBs)
- Staying in Choa Chu Kang area (wish to receive Indo and Msia channels if possible)
- I prefer passive indoor antennas (no need power source) over active ones, if 4 outlets only provide active ones then bo bian active lor

I need to get 2 x indoor antennas only, and I'm definitely going for redemption at the 4 outlets with the $100 vouchers.

Questions
1) Can advise which models should I be getting, in order to maximize my $100 voucher without topping up too much?

2) So for Indo and Msia channels, as long as I do a manual/auto tuning of the channel signals, if able to get means able to get, can't means can't, no other steps to do?

3) Can the $100 redeem 2 x antennas or can only redeem 1??

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys I need your advice on my best option for my case as follows:

- Owns 2 Digital Ready TVs at home (i.e. don't need any STBs)
- Staying in Choa Chu Kang area (wish to receive Indo and Msia channels if possible)
- I prefer passive indoor antennas (no need power source) over active ones, if 4 outlets only provide active ones then bo bian active lor

I need to get 2 x indoor antennas only, and I'm definitely going for redemption at the 4 outlets with the $100 vouchers.

Questions
1) Can advise which models should I be getting, in order to maximize my $100 voucher without topping up too much?

2) So for Indo and Msia channels, as long as I do a manual/auto tuning of the channel signals, if able to get means able to get, can't means can't, no other steps to do?

3) Can the $100 redeem 2 x antennas or can only redeem 1??
1) You can consider the Funke DSC550, cost $49 at Harvey Norman which you can purchase two to maximise the $100 voucher.
Funke_DSC-550_4G_LTE_Indoor_Antenna_-_White.jpg

https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/tv-blu-ray-and-home-theatre/tvs/aerials/funke-4g-lte-indoor-antenna-dsc-550.html

2) It depends on your location, so if you can't get Malaysia or Indonesia channels means cannot receive. You can try manually tuning to digital TV CH47 for Malaysia channels.

3) You can redeem two antennas with the $100 voucher, a few people did manage to get two antennas with the voucher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.