Channel 5 (HD) - live

2pq2hw0.png

UHF31 - 554MHz

Channel 8 (HD) - live
Vasantham (HD) - live

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
⚠⚠⚠ Analogue TV broadcast shutting down by end-2018.
The Straits Time said:
Analogue broadcasts to end by Jan 1, 2019; 75,000 low-income households yet to switch

Singaporeans still depending on analogue signals to watch free-to-air television will now have an extra year - till Jan 1, 2019 - to switch over to digital.

Only about half of the over 139,000 low-income households here have made the switch to digital broadcasting, despite the roll-out of a help scheme three years ago. All in, with just two months to go before the original termination date for analogue broadcasts, a quarter of households have not switched.

Although three-quarters of some 1.2 million Singapore households are already receiving Mediacorp's digital TV signals over the air or through their pay TV set-top boxes, there are still some 75,000 low-income households that have yet to make the switch to digital broadcasting, said Dr Yaacob.

These are people living in one-or two-room rental flats, or those on ComCare or self-help groups' help schemes. They have a monthly income of $1,900 and below, or an annual property value of $13,000 or lower.

Under the Infocomm Media Development Authority's (IMDA) help scheme rolled out in 2014, the needy households are entitled to free equipment.

IMDA has sent out notification letters to over 139,000 households but only about half have claimed and installed their free set-top boxes and indoor antennae, said Dr Yaacob in his written parliamentary reply. IMDA will be intensifying outreach efforts by knocking on doors and working with the grassroots, but this is "not sufficient", he added.

Therefore, the Government decided to extend the deadline. It will also beef up assistance for needy households and will announce the new measures early next year.

The deadline extension will also better align Singapore's analogue switch-off date with that of its neighbours Malaysia and Indonesia, expected to be around the beginning of 2019.

There are plans to use the freed-up TV frequency to provide more capacity for mobile broadband in Singapore. Having neighbours that have also switched off their TV frequencies will reduce interference problems for mobile broadband users. Harmonising the move will also facilitate mobile roaming.
http://www.straitstimes.com/tech/more-time-to-make-switch-to-digital-tv

Switch to Digital TV now!​
DTV Installation Guide:

Redeem your DTV Starter Kit

Digital TV TVC

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
FAQs on DTV:
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/fea...e/what-equipment-do-i-need-receive-digital-tv

OK, I’m ready. What do I need to buy?
First of all, if you’re a pay-TV subscriber (e.g., Singtel TV, StarHub TV), you’re all set. The respective set-top box that you’re using with your pay-TV service already allows you to watch Mediacorp channels in digital format. However, if you’ve an SD set-top box, you may want to upgrade to an HD-capable one in order to watch the HD channels. (By the way, StarHub sends DVB-C signals.)

For free-to-air or over-the-air channels (i.e., if you aren’t a pay-TV subscriber), there are a couple of ways to receive digital TV:

1. Get a DVB-T2 set-top box & an indoor (or outdoor) antenna
IMDA-approved DVB-T2 set-top boxes can be found at major electronic stores and they're usually bundled with an indoor antenna. Prices range from S$95 to S$129.

There are also many enthusiasts who source their own set-top box/antenna (some even went as far as to DIY their own antenna). One of the main reasons is to save cost. For example, a China-made DVB-T2 set-top box can often be had for around S$50. Of course, there’s always the risk of compatibility, warranty, and even safety issues if you decide to go down this path. So, you’ve been warned.

Other equipment required will be a 75-ohm coaxial cable and an HDMI cable. Also, if you’ve multiple TVs in your house, you need to get a set-top box/antenna combo for each TV set.

The Draco HDT2-7300 is a set-top box that supports Singapore’s DVB-T2 channels in stereo* sound. (Image source: Skycom Satellite Systems.)
The Draco HDT2-7300 is a set-top box that supports Singapore’s DVB-T2 channels in stereo* sound. (Image source: Skycom Satellite Systems.)
The Akira HDVB-T2A1 is a set-top box that supports Singapore’s DVB-T2 channels in surround sound when connected to a home theater system*. (Image source: Akira.)
The Akira HDVB-T2A1 is a set-top box that supports Singapore’s DVB-T2 channels in surround sound when connected to a home theater system*. (Image source: Akira.)

2. Get a TV with built-in DVB-T2 tuner & an antenna
Your existing TV may be compatible with DVB-T, but not DVB-T2. A simple way to know that is when you see that it receives Channel 5 in HD (which is broadcast in both DVB-T and DVB-T2), but not Channel 8, Suria, or Vasantham in HD (because they’re broadcast in DVB-T2 only).

TVs with an integrated DVB-T2 tuner (a.k.a. IDTVs) are already in the market since mid 2013. For a start, you can refer to IMDA’s list of such set-top boxes and IDTVs. For TVs especially, this list may not be comprehensive, since there are always new models being launched. To know about the latest models, you can keep your eyes peeled on HardwareZone, or check out our very active forums. Remember, you still need an indoor antenna, because the HDB rooftop master antenna can't be used for receiving digital signals. And in case you're wondering, it's no use connecting to the StarHub TV cable point either, since it sends analog and DVB-C signals meant for StarHub's set-top boxes. Regarding digital indoor antennas, the Daiyo EU1702 is well regarded by our forum members.

If you're staying on landed property or in a commercial building, you may be able to use your existing rooftop antenna, especially if you're already using it to current UHF channels.

For some tips on using an UHF antenna, placement of indoor antenna, tuning, and more info, you can check out Mediacorp's guide and FAQ, which go into details like the difference between an active and a passive antenna.

The Daiyo EU1702 indoor antenna can be found in megastores like Best Denki and Courts.
The Daiyo EU1702 indoor antenna can be found in megastores like Best Denki and Courts.

What else must I take note of?
Whether you’re buying a set-top box or IDTV, there are two labels to look out for. Either one of these labels indicates that the product complies with Singapore’s receiver specifications, and is suitable for use to receive Mediacorp’s digital channels.

If you see this label, it means that the product supports Singapore’s DVB-T2 channels in stereo sound.
If you see this label, it means that the product supports Singapore’s DVB-T2 channels in stereo sound.

If you see this label, it means that the product supports Singapore’s DVB-T2 channels in surround sound. Of course, to enjoy surround sound, you also need the correct equipment, such as a home theater system with surround speakers.
If you see this label, it means that the product supports Singapore’s DVB-T2 channels in surround sound. Of course, to enjoy surround sound, you also need the correct equipment, such as a home theater system with surround speakers.

To help low income households transition to digital TV, there’s also an assistance scheme available, which kicked off in September 2014. More information on eligibility criteria and application procedure can be found on IMDA’s website.

petetherock

Reaction score
Getting a free DTV box:
https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/last-400000-hdb-homes-nudged-to-go-for-digital-tv

$100
The value of free equipment each of the 400,000 HDB homes is entitled to. The homes can choose to either have a free digital set-top box and antenna installed at their home free, or get $100 off digital TV equipment of their choice at participating stores.

Advantages of going digital
Digital transmissions allow broadcasters to send more signals more efficiently, and offer viewers higher-quality images and sound.

Users can, among other benefits, choose subtitles and language options for programmes. All of Mediacorp's free-to-air channels - Channel 5, Channel 8, Suria, Vasantham, Channel NewsAsia, okto and Channel U - are in high-definition format, and the HD quality can be experienced only with digital TV.

To continue watching free-to-air TV channels from next January, after analogue broadcasting ends, viewers with older TV sets will need to buy and connect a digital set-top box and an indoor antenna. The equipment costs about $100.

Pay-TV subscribers need not take action as their set-top boxes act as digital tuners. Most TV sets on sale in the last two years also come with a built-in digital tuner, and retailers also sell antennae with the TV sets. Those who bought these need not worry about not getting digital broadcasts.

All analogue TV channels now carry the "analogue" channel logo on the top right-hand corner of the TV screen - to help viewers determine whether they will be affected. If you see the logo, you need to switch.

petetherock

Reaction score
Some important notes on reception:

Location location location:
The quality of your reception depends highly on the location.

Getting M'sian channels is a touch and go, and again depends on your location. Many won't be able to get it.

The Starhub point cannot be a substitute for getting an antenna.

Any TV with DTV capability will have a logo. If you buy a TV from overseas, it won't work here.

Older TVs with older DTV formats won't work either.

If you can, the simplest elegant solution is to get a new TV and plug in an antenna.

Gonjeng

Master Member
Reaction score
Just got myself Funke 5.1.

Able to get all Malaysian digitial channel after few trial.

my location Jurong low floor.
antenna indoor, above tv location.

kelvinsin

Reaction score
Tried the newmedia set top box+antenna bundled. Can receive malaysia channels. No locked as suspected by somebody.

htc_user

Reaction score
I have a Panasonic Tau GIGA 1080i CRT TV in my bedroom and it has the analogue symbol shown when I am watching local TV channels as it is connected to the SCV TV outlet in the bedroom.

https://sg.carousell.com/p/panasonic-32-inch-crt-tv-model-tau-giga-1080i-26324346/

My main TV set in the hall has no such symbol as I believe it is already a Digital TV (Samsung LED Smart TV Model 46F5500) and we also subscribe to Singtel TV, Starhub TV and has Singtel Fibre home subscription of 300 mbps in the hall.

Best Denki suggest I get the New Media Digital Set-Up Box STB2-T2 at $98 to enable me to continue watching the local TV in my bedroom ?

Any issues ? Thanks.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic Tau GIGA 1080i CRT TV in my bedroom and it has the analogue symbol shown when I am watching local TV channels as it is connected to the SCV TV outlet in the bedroom.

https://sg.carousell.com/p/panasonic-32-inch-crt-tv-model-tau-giga-1080i-26324346/

My main TV set in the hall has no such symbol as I believe it is already a Digital TV (Samsung LED Smart TV Model 46F5500) and we also subscribe to Singtel TV, Starhub TV and has Singtel Fibre home subscription of 300 mbps in the hall.

Best Denki suggest I get the New Media Digital Set-Up Box STB2-T2 at $98 to enable me to continue watching the local TV in my bedroom ?

Any issues ? Thanks.

As long as the CRT TV AV ports still working, don't foresee any issues other than the signal strength in your bedroom.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Rollout:
http://www17.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv/DvbMap/

Channels available:

(to be updated)

UHF27 - 522MHz

Channel U(SD) - live
Channel News Asia (SD) - live
okto (SD) - live

UHF29 - 538MHz

Suria (HD) - live
Channel 5 (HD) - live

2pq2hw0.png

UHF31 - 554MHz

Channel 8 (HD) - live
Vasantham (HD) - live
Malaysia channels(incl. TV1, TV2, TV3, NTV7, 8TV etc.) are now broadcasting digitally via Channel 47 (682MHz). :s12:
BGlfw87l.jpg

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/114813503-post171.html

Not all locations in Singapore are able to receive digital Malaysia channels. :o

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just got myself Funke 5.1.

Able to get all Malaysian digitial channel after few trial.

my location Jurong low floor.
antenna indoor, above tv location.
I bought a cheap antenna off Qoo10. My house got direct line of sight (Sembawang area) to Johor. Hope can work wonders and get MyTV. A bit painful on the pockets to get Funke 5.1 but if it is what it takes then bobian.

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Tried the newmedia set top box+antenna bundled. Can receive malaysia channels. No locked as suspected by somebody.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
The Jiu Hu channels are limited by your location.
No need to harp on it since you can access them on internet.

bleonz

Reaction score

Any issues ? Thanks.
CRT TV?! hmm...I suggest you use the imda S$100 voucher to get a new decent flat panel tv, maybe more worth it...the cheapest one 32" is about S$289-$329 only b4 applying the voucher.

learningman

Reaction score
Hi

Myself just redeemed for a Draco HDT2-7700 bundle with Funke DSC250 active antenna from Gain City.

After setup, display are ok, but the volume/audio is too soft.
Usually my analogue TV volume at 9-11 levels is loud enough.

However with the TV setup box, my analogue TV need volume adjustment
up to 22-25 levels to heard the audio properly.
Myself already tune the TV setup box audio to max without any effect
on the audio from the TV.

Not sure whether my TV setup box got issue or this is the norm.

Anyone facing the same issue.
Please advise/comment

Thank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.