Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oric1

Reaction score
Please post your antenna models here and what equipment you have bought / constructed to receive the signals.

I've a Samsung Smart TV (2013 model) which has built-in DVB-T2 / C DTV Tuner.

My TV is currently plugged into the HDB SCV wall socket. I did not subscribe to Starhub and do not have any set-top-box.

I was wondering if anyone is having the same setup as me and was able to watch HD5 & HD8. If yes, what kind of antenna (brand/model) are you using. Can please share? Thanks :)

sunnycrowe

Reaction score
Meaning to say, even with a dvbt2 tv, i stil got to buy a indoor antenna??

Every salesmen I asked, all say no need antenna

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
Don't think will have any MediaCorp HD logos during the test run of the signals. All is upscaled.

yiyiday

Reaction score
Market competition works. From $200, now $80:s22:.

you meant this one is it??

View Post yiyiday wrote:

wow how much for one?

I saw someone selling this device for SGD250. front panel is different but the backside is exactly the same with what i have. //makantenna_com/id5_html
please replace _ with .

i can make it 200 depends on demand...:s13:

that's why i said if someone willing to buy this stb for sgd250 (big blood sucker!!), then i can make it 200 lor...:s22:

after i compare with internet price and contact the supplier, i finallized the price at sgd80.. whoever want to approach other parties is ok one mah... this std will come with one year warranty.

anyway this is my first time to sell stuff, it is my interest on this product and found it working so just want to share among you. Also i think i already spoiled other singapore retailer market (droco also another blood sucker).. :eek::eek:

if anyone found good sources and keen to sell similiar product with cheaper price, i will get one for my neighbour. Nothing gonna to happend if i cannot get minimum order of 200 sets.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
@yiyiday

Yes, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on which side of the fence you are sitting on, these are facts of life doing business. No hard feeling.

Cheers.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Price of Set Top Box Dropped To USD 25

8 Oct 2013

- A multitude of DVB-T2 set-top boxes and integrated TV receivers are now available and prices have already dropped to around 25 USD. The price difference between comparable DVB-T and T2 integrated TV sets is already negligible.

Source: Standards - DVB

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
DVB-T2 Reception in Singapore

The information here is complementary to post #2, the FAQ provided by MediaCorp

Quote:

Now I see a sudden burst of interest in the new transmission format.

For those using hdb wall outlets, and private properties (landed or older condos) with own antennae, if your tv sets can receive on analogue

U (chan28)
Octo (chan 30)
CNA (chan 32)

there is a high probability that you can receive the new T2 channels if your tv sets are T2 ready.

However, for some hdb blocks, these stated channels may have been changed to another channels (just like scv channels) because of technical limitation - if this is the case then there may be no reception.

The matv in my condo caters to the 3 channels stated above plus tv3 (chan 26). I could received T test transmission on chan 29 previously. I am confident that my condo can receive all the new 3 channels (yet to be verified).

Edit: Confirmed my condo matv can receive all 4 dvb t2 channels (27, 29, 31 and 33). This is on top of chan 38 (dvb t) which was catered for in my condo matv.

Last edited:

SilveR1_09

Reaction score
I've a Samsung Smart TV (2013 model) which has built-in DVB-T2 / C DTV Tuner.

My TV is currently plugged into the HDB SCV wall socket. I did not subscribe to Starhub and do not have any set-top-box.

I was wondering if anyone is having the same setup as me and was able to watch HD5 & HD8. If yes, what kind of antenna (brand/model) are you using. Can please share? Thanks :)

I've mentioned this in the other thread that is closed now. Anyway here goes:

The SCV wall socket carries 2 types of signals as it is now.
  1. Analog signal:
    Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1, SuperSports Arena, StarHub Preview & StarHub Test
    - Viewable with TVs that has analog tuner
  2. Digital DVB-C signal:
    Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV
    - (a) Unencrypted: MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels + HD5 (viewable with TVs that has a DVB-C tuner)
    - (b) Encrypted: StarHub's Pay TV channels (viewable with StarHub's DVB-C set top box)

StarHub's only having HD5 broadcasting in HD for the 7 FTA channels thru their DVB-C signals.
An earlier post, there's mention of MDA noting that carriage of HD8, Suria HD & Vasantham HD for StarHub & SingTel on their DVB-C & IPTV system respectively, will be at a later date as it needs to be tested.

Your situation, with your TV plugged to the SCV wall socket as it is, you should be able to get #1 & #2(a).

If you would like to receive the DVB-T2 signals, you would need to connect to the HDB rooftop MATV (if ur block has one), or you would need to buy an antenna or DIY one yourself. Again, like @petetherock mention, location, location location.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Meaning to say, even with a dvbt2 tv, i stil got to buy a indoor antenna??

Every salesmen I asked, all say no need antenna
The salesmen probably didn't give you the complete picture. Please read #27 which I have just posted.

Edit: #28 too.

Last edited:

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score

1. Analog signal: Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1 & SuperSport Arena
  2. Digital DVB-C signal: Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV
    - (a) Unencrypted: MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels + HD5 (viewable with TVs that has a DVB-C tuner)
    - (b) Encrypted: StarHub's Pay TV channels (viewable with StarHub's DVB-C set top box)

StarHub's only having HD5 broadcasting in HD for the 7 FTA channels thru their DVB-C signals.
An earlier post, there's mention of MDA noting that carriage of HD8, Suria HD & Vasantham HD for StarHub & SingTel on their DVB-C & IPTV system respectively, will be at a later date as it needs to be tested.

Your situation, with your TV plugged to the SCV wall socket as it is, you should be able to get #1 & #2(a).

If you would like to receive the DVB-T2 signals, you would need to connect to the HDB rooftop MATV (if ur block has one), or you would need to buy an antenna or DIY one yourself. Again, like @petetherock mention, location, location location.

SuperSports Arena from StarHub is also now unencrypted.

sunsetbay

Reaction score

1. Analog signal: Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1 & SuperSport Arena
  2. Digital DVB-C signal: Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV

btw, there's another 4 un-encrypted HD channels from DVB-C on 434 & 458Mhz~ one sport, H2, Lifetime HD & Nat'l Geo HD~ not sure if ts limited period time, will continue to monitor~ another free non-HD is Karaoke channel which is pretty much crap~ :s22:

SilveR1_09

Reaction score
SuperSports Arena from StarHub is also now unencrypted.

Yup, I included it. Part of #1.
Carried thru the cable as analog signal on VHF, 76.25MHz.

Anyone can verify it's receivable on DVB-C as well?
(Not thru StarHub set top box, that one confirm can. LOL!)

btw, there's another 4 un-encrypted HD channels from DVB-C on 434 & 458Mhz~ one sport, H2, Lifetime HD & Nat'l Geo HD~ not sure if ts limited period time, will continue to monitor~ another free non-HD is Karaoke channel which is pretty much crap~ :s22:

Ah, 'one sport', is that sport, SuperSports Arena?
Thanks for the update for the other DVB-C unencrypted channels.
Yeah, might be limited time period.

Last edited:

oric1

Reaction score

1. Analog signal:
    Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1, SuperSports Arena, StarHub Preview & StarHub Test
  2. Digital DVB-C signal:
    Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV

Thanks SilveR.

Since my TV has DVB-T2 / C, I was able to get #1 but not the HD5 on #2(a) :( I tested between 9pm to 11pm.

SilveR1_09

Reaction score
Thanks SilveR.

Since my TV has DVB-T2 / C, I was able to get #1 but not the HD5 on #2(a) :( I tested between 9pm to 11pm.

Kiwi8 mentioned that HD5 on DVB-C has raw frequency of 370000KHz.
Perhaps you could try manual tune your digital tuner to that frequency and see if HD5 comes alive.

Just a quick question, are you connecting direct to the TV from the SCV socket? Or using a splitter in between?

Last edited:

oric1

Reaction score
Kiwi8 mentioned that HD5 on DVB-C has raw frequency of 370000KHz.
Perhaps you could try manual tune your digital tuner to that frequency and see if HD5 comes alive.

Ok, will try again tonight. Thanks!

proddy

Reaction score
snap from my my old USB tuner with EyeTV

can i still get T2 signal?
will i still enjoy T1 signal in future?

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
MediaCorp Ch5 HD has changed. Other than the logo, their subtitles and logo have also gone HD regardless the program itself is upscaled or not.

somewhat

Reaction score
if the starhub is going to carry the FTA channels in unencrypted DVB-C signal, isn't it better for those who stay in HDB to buy a DVB-C tuner and plug it into starhub cable point ?

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Ah, 'one sport', is that sport, SuperSports Arena?
Thanks for the update for the other DVB-C unencrypted channels.
Yeah, might be limited time period.

its SportsHD~ the four free HD channels did not display its name on the listing unlike other channels~ :s22:

edwinz

Reaction score
1180iev.jpg

Bought this to try... Sounds seems louder... Will do a better review later.. The owner of the hand is watching "totoro" right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.