www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   The House of Displays (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/)
-   -   Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated] (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/digital-tv-dvb-t2-singapore-%5Bconsolidated%5D-4486989.html)

AnDyLe0 12-12-2013 09:21 PM

seems like no one is following the opening of hd channels :D

today vas hd also started.
now only left ch 8 no hd.
but i feel that the video quality of DVB-T2 ch8 is clearer than usual today... even clearer than hubstation hd upscaled ch8.

seems like the sd channels are now showing "downscaled" version of hd channel... eg. Suria(SD) looks exactly like Suria(HD) just without the "HD" word... and with separate subtitles.

mrsun18 12-12-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnDyLe0 (Post 81888988)
which stb u all using?
on draco (the one and only "official" stb) the audio menu shows:
eng (232) [Dolby D+]
eng (230) [AAC]
qaa (231) [AAC]

dolby d+ is louder... while aac a bit softer... but audio still quite good... no problem.
other channels aac only... audio also good.
dvb-t hd5 showing Dolby D (without plus)... the audio is super loud... while hd5 aac is super soft.
these are all codec issues... overall draco doesn't have any issues.

That's nice. It shows that one cannot just read "V1.3.1" alone and say...that's it. There are many minor details, fine prints, that need to be read as well.

On a side note, Best J8 also selling the Draco. The joke is that the salemen there weren't aware of it when asked.

Edit: Sound level equalisation was included in the proposed sg standard. It was dropped following public consultation as there was no objective test method available.

singpal 12-12-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

which stb u all using?
eng (232) [Dolby D+]
eng (230) [AAC]
qaa (231) [AAC]

dolby d+ is louder... while aac a bit softer... but audio still quite good... no problem.
dvb-t hd5 showing Dolby D (without plus)... the audio is super loud... while hd5 aac is super soft.

guess those china brand DVB-T2 cheap tuner has some hardware and software limitations :s22:

yiyiday 13-12-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singpal (Post 81877079)
hi yiyiday, i have a similar set top box like you, do you find that the sound of all dvb-t2 channels sound muffled, not clear, as in mono without treble and bass? :s22:

Not really, I found Channel U only a bit muffles but clear as you increase the volume. I think it is quite a common thing that happended to other type of media player (cd player etc) as well.

yiyiday 13-12-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilveR1_09 (Post 81884071)
I find this to be true.
Keeping the volume at the STB and TV constant, as I channel surf, the DVB-T2 channels have lower sound quality and volume as compared to the DVB-T channels.

HD5 on DVB-T at Channel 38 have the best sound among all.
Next would be Channel 5, Channel 8 & CNA (DVB-T)
Then comes all the DVB-T2 channels.

On other note, here's an interesting picture when I press the Audio button:
Weird Audio Channel

I think this is due to the setting. Maybe you can try to change the setting of country/audio/subtitle languages to see whether it could be change or not. My STB also don't have country selection for Singapore. I had requested the manufacturer to add in Singapore for country selection and Chinese for OSD languages selection. However they can do it only if I could give them minimum order of 200 sets. :(:( They said to add in Chinese OSD languages selection, they need to make some change on some components.:s8:

yiyiday 13-12-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singpal (Post 81885205)
i have exactly the same menu as you,
but when i chose the 1st and 3rd audio "English" , there wasn't any sound, should this be the case? only the 2nd option will have sound, but very unclear n muffled

I noticed this on CH5 HD also where there is 3 audio selections. One only got sound but clear and loud. Other channels are ok because only got 1 audio for selection.

Uraku Asia 13-12-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yiyiday (Post 81899762)
I think this is due to the setting. Maybe you can try to change the setting of country/audio/subtitle languages to see whether it could be change or not. My STB also don't have country selection for Singapore. I had requested the manufacturer to add in Singapore for country selection and Chinese for OSD languages selection. However they can do it only if I could give them minimum order of 200 sets. :(:( They said to add in Chinese OSD languages selection, they need to make some change on some components.:s8:

Your case is not due to setting issue. This is because your box is not support that audio code.

For DVB-T2 HD5 channel got 3 audio tracks for you to select.There is ...
1) AAC 2Ch
2) AAC 5.1 ch
3) AC3 5.1 ch

For DVB-T HD5 channel only got 2 audio tracks for to choice.
1) MPEG audio 2Ch
2) AC3 5.1ch

My T2 Box got Chinese OSD languages and Singapore country for selection.

yiyiday 13-12-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

which stb u all using?
eng (232) [Dolby D+]
eng (230) [AAC]
qaa (231) [AAC]

I played the recorded CH5 show on computer with different players (QVOD, KM Player). Viewed the same file's audio properties with QVOD shown E-AC-3, MPEG Layer 1 & MPEG Layer 2 respectively. Viewed with KM Player shown Audio #230, #231 & #232 respectively.
That's all information I have, can't comment because not a codec expert.

As long as I can get what I want (Clear TV image clear, got sound) these codec issues will no bother me..:):) I am enjoying the digital broadcasting. :s13::s13: Leave it to the experts.

Uraku Asia 13-12-2013 11:35 AM

Here is audio and video codec infomation for T2 HD5.

Video:
Code: H.264 MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)
Resolution : 1920 x 1080
Frame rate : 50

Audio Stream 1:
Codec: MPEG AAC audio (mp4a)
Language: English
Channels: 3F2R/LFE
Sample rate: 48Khz
AAC extension: SBR

Audio Stream 2:
Codec: A/52 B Audio (aka E-AC3) (eac3)
Language: English

Audio Stream 3:
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Language: Original audio

yiyiday 13-12-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uraku Asia (Post 81900472)
Your case is not due to setting issue. This is because your box is not support that audio code.

For DVB-T2 HD5 channel got 3 audio tracks for you to select.There is ...
1) AAC 2Ch
2) AAC 5.1 ch
3) AC3 5.1 ch

For DVB-T HD5 channel only got 2 audio tracks for to choice.
1) MPEG audio 2Ch
2) AC3 5.1ch

My T2 Box got Chinese OSD languages and Singapore country for selection.

Good!!!!!! How much is your URAKU STB? Can beat Draco price? Other functions just an option for whom want "all in one, all can do" stuff. For me I will not need to buy a rice cooker that they claim it you can fried, steam, stew, boil soup etc with it. So same on this STB thing, main function is to receiving clear image of broadcasting, other function is bonus..:s13::s13:

chakuman 13-12-2013 02:58 PM

Channel 8 is encoring The Ultimatum on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays 3am. This is the 1st Channel 8 drama to be filmed fully in HD. You might wanna check whether the Channel 8 HD is showing the drama in full HD or not.

AnDyLe0 13-12-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chakuman (Post 81905724)
Channel 8 is encoring The Ultimatum on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays 3am. This is the 1st Channel 8 drama to be filmed fully in HD. You might wanna check whether the Channel 8 HD is showing the drama in full HD or not.

Ch8 has been showing all dramas/variety shows in "widescreen" format on PAL for around 3 yrs... meaning that all mediacorp productions are HD content already but downscaled for Ch8 broadcast.
for the past yrs... u can watch HD version on starhub 8-on-demand channel.
so no need wait for The Ultimatum encore... every nite 6.30pm to 10.30pm mostly are HD contents.

now i'm watching "Don't Stop Believin" on Ch 8(HD) with "HD" logo.
it's very sharp and clear... got old HD5 quality.
i suspect it's presented in True HD already.

oh yeah... 8(HD) starts today.
u should be able to see the "downscaled" version on channel 8(SD).
the logo and scrolling text all are widescreen-version.

AnDyLe0 13-12-2013 06:09 PM

i just compared DVB-T2 8(HD) with starhub hubstation hd Ch8... confirmed 8(HD) everyone's face is very clear... while starhub one everyone's face is blur... so should be presented in True HD. :D

yxyxx8 13-12-2013 07:26 PM

the draco STB really expensive sia. since china can produce 15-20$ one.

Windowlover 13-12-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnDyLe0 (Post 81910591)
Ch8 has been showing all dramas/variety shows in "widescreen" format on PAL for around 3 yrs... meaning that all mediacorp productions are HD content already but downscaled for Ch8 broadcast.
for the past yrs... u can watch HD version on starhub 8-on-demand channel.
so no need wait for The Ultimatum encore... every nite 6.30pm to 10.30pm mostly are HD contents.

now i'm watching "Don't Stop Believin" on Ch 8(HD) with "HD" logo.
it's very sharp and clear... got old HD5 quality.
i suspect it's presented in True HD already.

oh yeah... 8(HD) starts today.
u should be able to see the "downscaled" version on channel 8(SD).
the logo and scrolling text all are widescreen-version.

Are you using any setup box or direct to wall socket ? :s22: