HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Like Tree190Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #1726
Master Member

There are 2 kind of antenna bundle with the draco box, the round one ant130 and the rectangular ant600. Which one is better, in my case I happen to have both, I found that the ant130 round one has better consistency in reception. On paper the spec are similar except the ant600 has higher gain.
Gain, or directivity, is only one aspect of the specifications for antenna. Another aspect is revealed in the so-called polar diagram. A highly simplified one to facilitate explanation is shown below:

It is common knowledge to point the major lobe of the antenna in the direction of the transmitter to get maximum signal strength. Notice that the minor lobes will also be receiving signals in different directions. If it happens that reflection signals are in the direction of the minor lobes, then the antenna will pick them up as well. These will show up as shadows or ghosting.

Using a different antenna with a different polar diagram, say with lower gain or directivity, may have better reception. This is because this antenna may have minor lobes in different angles compared to the earlier example. The reflected signals are not picked up so there is no shadows.

In dvb-t and more so in dvb-t2, the error corrections are robust. Shadows are removed by error corrections, but this explanation is still valid in weak signal areas such as indoor or places obstructed by many tall buildings. The weak reception will be evident from poor signal strength/picture quality.

So your observation is correct. Final quality is judged by practical experience and not based on limited paper info

Last edited by mrsun18; 27-03-2014 at 09:19 PM..
Old 27-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #1727
tk
Supremacy Member

noob question.. if I have 2 tvs in different room, will need 2 dvb-t2 box and 2 antenna? can share box or antenna?
Old 27-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #1728
Supremacy Member

Guys, my house after reno only have the SVC point which could not be used for DVBT, but understand that the MATB point should be outside my house. If that right? Possible to tap a point in to my house?
Old 27-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #1729

Can anyone feedback if they bought any USB DVB-T2 receivers and
works in Singapore ?

Buy to plug into china 10.1" tablet watch inside Car for
other passengers.

Geniatech and china unbranded ones seems does not work for SG.

Other thread on DVB-T2 USB/PCI-E nothing much
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ho...3290548-9.html

Last edited by tan1688; 27-03-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Old 27-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #1730

noob question.. if I have 2 tvs in different room, will need 2 dvb-t2 box and 2 antenna? can share box or antenna?
If you got one tv can share for 2 rooms? Lol
Anyway, antennas could be possible if you know how to split and trunk your cable to the other room. But no I don't recommend, best is to get seperate boxes and antenna.
Old 27-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #1731

Guys, my house after reno only have the SVC point which could not be used for DVBT, but understand that the MATB point should be outside my house. If that right? Possible to tap a point in to my house?
MATV points will be obsolete one day. SCV points may not support DVB-T2 signals in the future as well. The only way is to use an antenna.
Old 27-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #1732

Can anyone feedback if they bought any USB DVB-T2 receivers and
works in Singapore ?

Buy to plug into china 10.1" tablet watch inside Car for
other passengers.

Geniatech and china unbranded ones seems does not work for SG.

Other thread on DVB-T2 USB/PCI-E nothing much
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ho...3290548-9.html
I believe there isn't any T2 USB that supports SG standard at the moment.
Old 27-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #1733
Master Member

On paper you can share the box - hdmi out serves one tv and rca out serves the other tv, or use a hdmi splitter, or use a rca splitter. Whether it works or not depends on the ability of the box to supply sufficient signal to serve both tv, taking account the long cable you are going to use.

For rf, one antenna can serve 2 tv if you use a splitter and if the signal is sufficient.

Do a cost benefit study and decide which option is best for you.
Old 27-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #1734
Master Member

MATV points will be obsolete one day. SCV points may not support DVB-T2 signals in the future as well. The only way is to use an antenna.
SCV points carry analogue and dvb-c signals (c stands for cable as in cable network) whereas dvb-t and dvb-t2 are meant for terrestrial broadcasts. Obviously SCV points won't support dvb-t and dvb-t2 standards.
Old 28-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #1735
tk
Supremacy Member

haiz.. seems like we are moving from a neat & clean system (wall cable point) to a messy system with more wires, boxes & antennas...
Old 28-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #1736

Quote from MDA:
Households will encounter less inconvenience and more flexibility in placing their TV set without the need to search for a fixed TV point.

Digital TV signals are more robust than analogue TV signals, so indoor reception will be easier.

Nevertheless, MediaCorp is progressively rolling out a more comprehensive network of digital-TV transmitters over the next two to three years to enhance signal quality and coverage.
There is no need to (excluded landed property):
1.) Share an Antenna
2.) Separately cabled all your rooms with the MATV points
You only need to search for a fixed power point!

Indoor coverage (99.9%?) already reached BB, AMK & JE, so if you are already living in these areas, you just need an INDOOR UHF antenna.
1.) There is no need to place the antenna near or outside the windows
2.) Very likely there is no need for a powered antenna, a passive antenna will do.
As long as your room has a window, never mind whether it is opened or closed, your indoor antenna can be positioned conveniently anywhere inside the room.
You may also watch TV in the toilet, but there is no guarantee if it is possible in your store room, and definitely not inside the bomb shelter

For those living in areas where indoor coverage has yet to be rolled-out, you need to be patient. In the near future, if you are lucky, you may notice that a Mediacorp transmitter has just been installed on a building just next door.

In general, indoor signals will get stronger & better once the roll-out reaches your areas.

Last edited by SilverLine; 28-03-2014 at 10:09 AM..
Old 28-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #1737
Master Member

You may also watch TV in the toilet, but there is no guarantee if it is possible in your store room, and definitely not inside the bomb shelter

This is going to be a challenge for the implementer - how to enable signals to penetrate the thick reinforced wall of the household shelter. In times of needs communcations still need to be maintained with the outside world.
Old 28-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #1738

This is going to be a challenge for the implementer - how to enable signals to penetrate the thick reinforced wall of the household shelter. In times of needs communcations still need to be maintained with the outside world.
There comes DVB-T2 just like 3G/4G signals. It's similar.
Old 28-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #1739
Master Member

There comes DVB-T2 just like 3G/4G signals. It's similar.
3G/4G cover household shelters? They are all rf, but may not be similar in terms of receiver sensitivity.
Old 28-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #1740
Master Member

Just to add my two cents, after talking to a reliable source, which I would not want to disclose.

Some of the things I heard:

Spoiler!
This is a departure from my normal practice of only commenting on specific technical issues.

The writer mentioned some of things he heard from a reliable source, which for obvious reason cannot be revealed.

I would like to discuss about the reliability of info from reliable sources in general terms, assuming that there was perfect communication between the writer and the source.

Those who work in large organisations will know there is a hierarchy in the form of a pyramid. Each person/layer in the hieracky knows his area of responsibility/work well if he remains in the same position long enough. Thus technical people in operations know their work well but usually do not know company policies and the rationale, some of which may have sensitive info, if these are not communicated to them. On the other hand people at the top will not know exactly the technical intricacy of their operations.

It is also known that people come and go, including the top men. Attrition, job rotation, promotion and so on. For a company with a long history, it is indeed hard to find one who knows everything about the company as it evolves with time.

For HDB matv, it has a history of more than 40 years. Those in the pioneer generation and have long memory will recall the forest of antennae sticking out of roof tops and common corridors, in places such as Tanglin Halt, Bukit Merah, Taman Jurong and so on.

To help improve tv receptions in the early days, which only had chans 3, 5, 8 an 10 then, HDB implemented matv. Initially 300 ohm ribbon cables were used as down lead. Some of the tv outlets used short length of twin flexible cable (as used for lighting cable) as capacitors. As technology improves, number of tv stations increased and extended to UHF band, the matv specs were continuously upgraded. This is in line with the improvements made to HDB flats in general - lifts, building materials, technologies etc.

Rewirings were carried out for old systems when they were due. This brings them up to the prevailing standard at that point of time. Rewirings were done by Town Councils during the period when they were in charge of matv. MATV in older blocks may in fact have newer systems than newer blocks

As of today, there are about 10,000 blocks of HDB flat. To simplify HDB matv to a few models is like saying sizes S, M and L will fit the body of everyone.

All the above comments I made are based on public info, and from work and life experience, my own reliable source.

Finally, just to quote a real example of an info I got from a reliable source. I was once told that a coming MRT line will have a station with entrance/exit right next to our condo entrance/exit, citing the sighting of plans even. When public announcement was made, the station entrance/exit was found to be in a different location.

Still, there are positives about such chatters. If the authorities monitor well, these may help to improve their communication to the public and may also help to fine tune their policies.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.