HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Like Tree190Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #1771

Currently there is no USB dvb-t2 tuner available.

Draco set top box will fit your requirements nicely. About $129.

If your external monitor supports the resolution of the set top box (stb) and the necessary inputs, you can just connect it to the stb directly.

You will still need a separate antenna, suitable ones can be found in this thread:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ho...4487443-2.html
Monitor only accept progressive input. You can set the Draco STB output to progressive 720p or 1080p. However, as reported in this thread and others, if Draco it set to progressive (1080p), the signal quality will drops significantly. So, if you intend to buy a STB and connect directly to the monitor using 1080p, do not use Draco.

The unusual symptom is very likely due to Draco's hardware board design, it is self-generating interference inside the box, affecting the quality of the signals. I cannot be sure of other STBs if similar symptom occurs, but if it come with the same hardware board design it can suffer the same fate.
alifffresto likes this.
Old 31-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #1772
Master Member

Thanks for the comments. I understand your position on the validity of information from a third party, and I would normally disclose my sources, but I have verbally agreed with said source on not disclosing identity or information that leads to identity leakage.

I can only state here on why I deem source to be "reliable", namely the line of work that source is doing is directly related to the discussion, and that source has performed an action which leads me to verify directly the validity of said information. There are parts thereon which may be from personal opinion of source, and as you mentioned, policies can suddenly change, which has the potential to invalidate the information I quoted.

Feel free to take what I quoted with a pinch of salt if you like; I certainly welcome anyone else to prove or disprove it so we can all learn something and know how best to deploy our DVB-T2 setup
Nice exchanage of thoughts. Apparently there isn't much interest in the subject. Nonetheless I will write a few more comments.

As we share our thoughts, another external group of people, but not the only group, that may have good knowledge of the workings in an organisation come to my mind. These are the contractors that carry out works according to instructions from the organisation. These people have good details of actions taken. However, quite often for the same work carried out, it can be the result of different reasons. It is normal for people to rationalise the reason from their own perspective. So the contractors may get it wrong.

Next I turn my attention to the dissemination of information by organisations. MediaCorps FAQ for Digital TV stated that, for HDB residents: "If you do not subscribe to pay TV, you will not be able to receive MediaCorp digital TV signals through the wall socket TV/cable point."

It is recognised that MediaCorp is the expert on broadcast matters in Singapore, whereas HDB is the matv expert with 40 over years of experience. MediaCorp will not on its own come up with this information without the relevant input from HDB.

Sadly, this piece of information has been found inaccurate. See my prediction, which was proven correct and independantly verified by others in this forum. The explanations why it was so follows, in the spoiler.

Of course some people are happy that, for the time being, they are able to watch dvb-t2 without indoor antenna, before the matv is shut down.

Spoiler!
Now I turn the attention to the statement, understood to come from a conversation with a reliable source. It is unfortunate that the reliable source won't be here to give us his perspective: "Reception via rooftop antenna for HDB may not work for all blocks with the rooftop antenna as some blocks have a frequency filter...What is not good about it however, is that it blocks digital signals..."

The fact speaks for itself. In spite of filters installed selectively for chan 28, 30 and 30, digital tv signals are still available, as explained in my ealier posts in the spoiler. There is no reason for some matv not to be able to receive chan28, 30 and 32 other than technical reason of the older system unable to support receptions in the UHF band.

The adjacent channel reception/interference is a well known effect for matv. But it doesn't mean everyone in the trade knows/understands it. That was why I was cautious and specially bought a Draco stb to confirm that my analysis was correct.

So I see the mistake by HDB/MediaCorp in saying that digital tv reception is not possible on matv as a careless but genuine mistake. I cannot see there is any intention to mislead.

On switching off of HDB matv eventually, this was an open secret. Since SCV started its roll out in early '90s, every HDB household affected had been individually informed that the matv would be switch off when the SCV roll out was completed. For those who can remember, the letter was signed by officers of HDB and MDA.

With the advent of digital tv, the switch off was delayed to take advantage of new technology. I can see that the matv switch off would be synchronised with the shut down of analogue tv broadcast, coordinated with Asean countries as announced. By then the matv becomes redundant. The switch off is easily achieved by shutting the electricity supply for the matv. There should be joint announcement then, perhaps by HDB/MDA again.

No doubt there is saving for HDB with the shut down for budgetting puposes. But who actually pays if the matv remains? You and me, the taxpayers.

Right, wrong, partially wrong, partially right. Readers decide.
kssk88 likes this.
Old 31-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #1773
pjs

are u refering to daiyo indoor antenna?
No need to get Draco.
Draco is China made similar to other China Made STBs, but its way overpriced.
Read posts earlier in this forum or this page:
http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com...86989-115.html
No. Referring to DVB-T2 receiver.
Post #1711 and others earlier.
Old 31-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #1774

There are 2 types of RTM TV2 around.

The one carried by StarHub cable network is pay-only, while the terrestial version continues to be free for tvs that are able to receive them.
hee... there's no tv2 for starhub subscriber~

Old 31-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #1775
Honorary Member

The RTM 1 and 2 you see on Wikipedia are not true. RTM TV2 is not allowed to air in Singapore due to copyrights.
some hdb flats can receive TV2 via rooftop antenna
Old 31-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #1776
Master Member

hee... there's no tv2 for starhub subscriber~
Yup, I got mixed up too. Write until siao.

Last edited by mrsun18; 31-03-2014 at 10:31 PM..
Old 31-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #1777

Agree with this, currently using this method to receive TV2 and other Malaysian channels(analog).
Old 31-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #1778
Master Member

Monitor only accept progressive input. You can set the Draco STB output to progressive 720p or 1080p. However, as reported in this thread and others, if Draco it set to progressive (1080p), the signal quality will drops significantly. So, if you intend to buy a STB and connect directly to the monitor using 1080p, do not use Draco.

I think this applies when the best signal available is still poor.

With my strong matv signal, signal strength/pic quality remain 98/99 with resolution set to 1080p.

If I change to my antique indoor antenna and adjust to a good position, I still can get >92/98 respectively even on 1080p.

However, if I move the antenna to a bad spot, then there is a dramatic improvement in ST/PQ when resolution is set to 1080i which makes reception perfectly acceptible.

Since alifffresto prefers local set, he can try different spots/antenna to get stronger signal.
Old 31-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #1779

I think this applies when the best signal available is still poor.

With my strong matv signal, signal strength/pic quality remain 98/99 with resolution set to 1080p.

If I change to my antique indoor antenna and adjust to a good position, I still can get >92/98 respectively even on 1080p.

However, if I move the antenna to a bad spot, then there is a dramatic improvement in ST/PQ when resolution is set to 1080i which makes reception perfectly acceptible.

Since alifffresto prefers local set, he can try different spots/antenna to get stronger signal.
Looks like the self-generated interference is pick-up at the RF input. My guess is that setting the STB to 720p would be able to eliminate this unusual behaviour.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 AM   #1780

need help with this usb tuner USB TV Stick DVB T2 DVB T DVB T2 + FM + DAB receiver adapter SPC 251263-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

just received it after purchasing it a month ago. i can't seem to receive any channels after scanning for the frequencies
Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #1781

need help with this usb tuner USB TV Stick DVB T2 DVB T DVB T2 + FM + DAB receiver adapter SPC 251263-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

just received it after purchasing it a month ago. i can't seem to receive any channels after scanning for the frequencies
This product doesn't work with singapore standards. Unfortunately.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #1782

they are talking about recv TV2 via "paytv" vs "over-the-air".
over-the-air nobody can control.
paytv carries tv2 need to clear copyright issues.

tv1 doesn't have hk dramas/movies, that's why it's free for paytv.
tv2 got hk dramas/movies in cantonese audio track, that's why got copyright.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #1783

No need to get Draco.
Draco is China made similar to other China Made STBs, but its way overpriced.
Read posts earlier in this forum or this page:
Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated] - Page 115 - www.hardwarezone.com.sg
strictly speaking draco is not similar as it is the only stb that carries MDA's label.
meaning it is guaranteed to support all future digital services introduced by mediacorp or local tv.
although it's more expensive, but future proof.
last time the news got say that mediacorp will intro new digital services like "timeshift" in future. i think it's something like starhub's Catch-Up, Start Over, On-Demand etc.
for this, draco will confirm support them all, but other stb will need another round of testing by users.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #1784
High Supremacy Member

for this, draco will confirm support them all, but other stb will need another round of testing by users.
How sure are you about this?

It's certified to work with the current, not future. I doubt they will provide a lifetime support for such a 'not so expensive' product.

Just bought a DVB-T2 box for ~S$38. If there's any need to change, that's likely just another S$40-$50. Still cheaper than 1 Draco.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #1785
pjs

strictly speaking draco is not similar as it is the only stb that carries MDA's label.
meaning it is guaranteed to support all future digital services introduced by mediacorp or local tv.
although it's more expensive, but future proof.
last time the news got say that mediacorp will intro new digital services like "timeshift" in future. i think it's something like starhub's Catch-Up, Start Over, On-Demand etc.
MDA's label.
meaning it is guaranteed to support all future digital services introduced by mediacorp or local tv.??

Really?
Their DVB-T box was also officially supported by MDA, so means I can get it upgraded to DVB-T2 FOC?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.