HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Like Tree190Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #1786

MDA's label.
meaning it is guaranteed to support all future digital services introduced by mediacorp or local tv.??

Really?
Their DVB-T box was also officially supported by MDA, so means I can get it upgraded to DVB-T2 FOC?
based on DVB-T2 MDA Singapore Spec. (the label is DVB-T2 label, not DVB-T. ur argument is off-topic.).
any new services from mediacorp or local tv stations should still be using singapore spec.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #1787

It's certified to work with the current, not future. I doubt they will provide a lifetime support for such a 'not so expensive' product.
i mean news say other DVB-T2 digital services will be rolled out soon in later stage, not "future". the current MDA spec should have already included this. that's why now other stb we still cannot conclude whether they support or not.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #1788

i mean news say other DVB-T2 digital services will be rolled out soon in later stage, not "future". the current MDA spec should have already included this. that's why now other stb we still cannot conclude whether they support or not.
Personal thinking, it doesn't matter what set top box yu get, as long it's T2, it shall support the many interactive services come future. And T2 is here for many years to come. It's the future of TV. Just get a T2 box and you're ready to go. You alresdy have the future of TV in your hands. But again, personally I'd still go for official labelled set top boxes e.g draco because you get official support locally etc should there be any issues on your box. If you get cheaper ones online or overseas, you don't get access to support or warranty to your box that easily. Just my point of view.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #1789

can someone recommend a usb tv stick that can be used to watch tv channels in my bed room?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #1790
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi needsomecash,

I'm enquiring with the same seller you quoted. I asked if this model you bought supported dolby digital 5.1. He said no.

He referred me to another model which he said supported dolby digital 5.1. But some feedback in there reported heating problem.

Can you advise which should I buy? Both seemed to be using the same chips though.

Aliexpress.com : Buy High quality DVB T2 terrestrial digital television receiver,Compatible with dvb t and dvb t2 DVB T2 9003 HDMI+USB+PVR dvb t2 from Reliable dvb-t tv suppliers on SinHo Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #1791
Master Member

Will Non-certified STB Work With New Services ?

MDA says that "Compared to conventional analogue TV, digital TV allows for richer audio-visual experiences and opportunity for more interactive services." [http://www.mda.gov.sg/PublicEducatio...Overview.aspx]

In the link provided by pjs some time ago in post #268 of the closed thread http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ho...4152007-3.html

It was reported that a new feature in Ver 1.3.1 called L1_Post_Scrambled was made mandatory in, eg Singapore and Uganda for DVB-T2 receivers.

This feature allows scrambling of L1 data and gives flexibility for broadcasters to offers services.

This means that receivers made to standards in other countries that do not have this feature will not be able to enjoy such services here when they are available.

The full article is avaiable here.

Last edited by mrsun18; 02-04-2014 at 12:15 AM..
Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #1792

Pulished in TodayOnline.com on 17 Dec 2013
According to Chang Long Jong, MediaCorp Deputy CEO, besides having better picture and sound quality, digital TV “allows MediaCorp to consider rolling out other value-add services and features for the discerning audiences of today, such as multi-language subtitles”.
“With digital TV, MediaCorp will also be able to offer time-shifted services, which will provide an alternative choice for viewers who miss out on their favourite TV programmes due to work or lifestyle commitments,” he said. More information on these value-add services will be announced soon.
I now announce the new "time-shifted" services:
To enjoy timesift, perform the following action :
  1. Plug an external mass storage device into the USB port of your digital receiver:
  2. Press the "PAUSE" button on your remote, the video will pause
  3. To resume the video, press "PLAY"
  4. To rewind press the "REW" (or "LEFT") button
  5. To fast forward, press "FF" (or "RIGHT") button
  6. To exit timeshift press "STOP" button
If your digital receivers does not support time-shifted, please check with your nearest dealers/manufacturers for their latest products that support it.

Now back to the original news:
The service to be announced can be a time-shift channel that will be carrying a time-delayed rebroadcast of its "parent" channel's programs. This channel will run alongside the parent. There is currently a test channel named Ch 8+1. The +1 can refer to a 1-hr time delay.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #1793

....... i think it's something like starhub's Catch-Up, Start Over, On-Demand etc.
for this, draco will confirm support them all, but other stb will need another round of testing by users.
The features you mentioned require more advanced STBs and new infrastructure (return channel) to support them. The current DVB-T2 receivers' specifications covers only a very Basic digital receivers' requirement. To support the mentioned features, new requirements on top of the current spec will be needed. This implies a NEW advanced digital receiver need to be developed.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #1794

It was reported that a new feature in Ver 1.3.1 called L1_Post_Scrambled was made mandatory in, eg Singapore and Uganda for DVB-T2 receivers.

This feature allows scrambling of L1 data and gives flexibility for broadcasters to offers services.

This means that receivers made to standards in other countries that do not have this feature will not be able to enjoy such services here when they are available.
To rule out the possibility whether in future those unofficial China STBs that are working now might be knockout, the best is for someone to check with Mediacorp directly if they have currently turn on these parameters:
1. Signalling format of PABR reduction (v1.2.1)
2. L1_Post_Scrambled (v1.3.1)
Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #1795

The features you mentioned require more advanced STBs and new infrastructure (return channel) to support them. The current DVB-T2 receivers' specifications covers only a very Basic digital receivers' requirement. To support the mentioned features, new requirements on top of the current spec will be needed. This implies a NEW advanced digital receiver need to be developed.
yeah... catch-up or video streaming services (like starhub's) should be difficult over-the-air as bandwidth is limited.
maybe the new interactive services are more like online voting, polls etc.

as for the 8+1, this is also similar to starhub's (+2) and (+3) for e-city and vv drama. but this one doesn't need any DVB-T2 technology.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #1796

yeah... catch-up or video streaming services (like starhub's) should be difficult over-the-air as bandwidth is limited.
maybe the new interactive services are more like online voting, polls etc.
Again such interactive services require new middleware and a return channel. To support this, new requirement & specifications need to be made, and again a new advanced Interactive DVB-T2 digital receiver need to be developed.

Anyone who is interested in Mediacorp's catch-up, VOD, etc can consider Toggle. For those who owns an IOS/Android device, or LG/Samsung Smart TV can download the apps. Of course, not all comes free.

as for the 8+1, this is also similar to starhub's (+2) and (+3) for e-city and vv drama. but this one doesn't need any DVB-T2 technology.
Yes, you got it.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #1797

Again such interactive services require new middleware and a return channel. To support this, new requirement & specifications need to be made, and again a new advanced Interactive DVB-T2 digital receiver need to be developed.
i think what u r trying to say is: interactive services cannot be done because it requires 2-way communication. current implementation only supports 1-way communication.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #1798

i think what u r trying to say is: interactive services cannot be done because it requires 2-way communication. current implementation only supports 1-way communication.
Yes, you got it. Those features that you mentioned require 2-way communication.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #1799

Update (AMK):
My mistake was that I plugged both the wall outlet and the Daiyo antenna (2 into 1 adapter) into the TV. I managed only to tuned to HD5 & Suria. I have just plugged the Daiyo antenna (1 to 1) to my TV and I can received all the digital channels.
Cheers
Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #1800
Master Member

I now announce the new "time-shifted" services:
To enjoy timesift, perform the following action :
  1. Plug an external mass storage device into the USB port of your digital receiver:
  2. Press the "PAUSE" button on your remote, the video will pause
  3. To resume the video, press "PLAY"
  4. To rewind press the "REW" (or "LEFT") button
  5. To fast forward, press "FF" (or "RIGHT") button
  6. To exit timeshift press "STOP" button
If your digital receivers does not support time-shifted, please check with your nearest dealers/manufacturers for their latest products that support it.

The difficulty of such announcement, when one doesn't have a receiver, is the need to have others to verify it.

Yes, I confirm time shift is available. But not always, depending on the programme on air, an example is as shown in the pic below.

Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.