HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Like Tree190Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #1831

MDA does not allow dialect programs on free to air chs. Only some opera programs. For Starhub and Mio TV, only 1 dialect TV channel is allowed. Their outdated rules since not much people objected it.
Really think it's time for MDA to revised its outdated rules. They should have some flexibility in their rules for FTA TV like Taiwanese/HK drama to have dual-sound modes (dubbed and original), since Korean drama gets to have dual-sound modes too(dubbed and original).
Just some thoughts.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #1832
Banned

Really think it's time for MDA to revised its outdated rules. They should have some flexibility in their rules for FTA TV like Taiwanese/HK drama to have dual-sound modes (dubbed and original), since Korean drama gets to have dual-sound modes too(dubbed and original).
Just some thoughts.
Unfortunately it will not change. Even an MP has suggested but govt still don't want to change.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #1833
Honorary Member

Just some thoughts.
They wun revise it. Chinese-linked dialects like Hokkien and Cantonese will continue to be suppressed in their continuous campaign to promote the Mandarin language.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

PM me if you require Keppel Electric referral code.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #1834

I don't understand why dialects are still not allowed but foreign languages are. It is quite sarcastic that some people are better in those foreign languages are compared with their Mandarin/dialects. Plus, it is not as if the Mandarin level is high, average and so-so only. So many people I met can't even converse in Mandarin properly and they barely can read and write Chinese words too.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #1835

10% same as 100%? sure or not ?

my receiver less than 60% strength already starting to skip frames and distorted pixellation liao
my receiver less than 60% strength already starting to skip
- > your receiver is draco then

mine use china cheapo receiver 10-20% strength still good
no pixellation or frame losses, too lazy to record show
here, could ask those "other than draco"

why use this "draco" term for a product, sounds like
dracula suck your blood money ?

Last edited by tan1688; 06-04-2014 at 12:54 PM..
Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #1836

my receiver less than 60% strength already starting to skip
- > your receiver is draco then

mine use china cheapo receiver 10-20% strength still good
no pixellation or frame losses, too lazy to record show
here, could ask those "other than draco"

why use this "draco" term for a product, sounds like
dracula suck your blood money ?
My draco 30% and below still got good image.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #1837
Arch-Supremacy Member

Few questions:

1. Are you connecting it to TV direct or to a 5.1 receiver?

2. Are you sure it's the DVB-T2 box cannot decode AAC(HE-AAC) 5.1 or your receiver(should you be using one) cannot decide AAC 5.1. Most of the receivers in the market cannot decode AAC 5.1 anyway. I meant it may be your DVB-T2 box is sending AAC 5.1 to your receiver, but your receiver cannot decode it. At the very least, it should downmix it to stereo 2.1 or something. That's what happened when I send AAC 5.1 to my receiver.

3. Has anyone with the Draco box from NTUC extra connected it to a receiver & managed to playback AAC 5.1 to your receiver? Please share if you are sending them as PCM 6 channels or using RAW(supposed this is called passed through & leave the decoding to the receiver).

Your feedback is appreciated.

I shall hold back my purchase of the Ali chipset DVB-T2 that polooioi is using until further clarification.

So that DVB-T2 Box I have can handle

AC-3, MPEG, AAC (HE-AAC)

but it has problem decoding

AAC (LC)

Old 06-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #1838
Arch-Supremacy Member

Only 2 out of the 3 audio channels sound.

1 is the non-surround sound, the other is the surround sound.

Sound quality is good.

Hi Kiwi8,

can you clarify when you say the surround sound works, did you test with a tv program outputing in AAC 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1?

asking because poloboiboi using the same tuner box as you reported no sound with AAC 5.1. I asked him to clarify whether it is problem with the tuner box or with his receiver... because well known in market, most receiver does not support AAC 5.1.

Appreciate if you can test for us, your ali chipset tuner box, whether it can decode both DD 5.1 & AAC 5.1 or it can decode DD 5.1 only but not AAC 5.1
Old 06-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #1839

Newbie here. My new TV(DVB T2 ready) is able to receive all digital channels like HD5, Digital 8, U and CNA through the old SCV port. I saw some ppl can receive HD8 and HDU by installing indoor antenna or so. May I how much does it cost and where to buy it? I asked the Courts staff when I bought the TV and he just told me plug into the old SCV port can receive le lol.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #1840
Arch-Supremacy Member

i re-tested my draco and confirmed that my draco got sound for ALL. no mute streams.
5(HD) DVB-T2 got 3 audio streams: Sound 1 (Dolby D+), eng (AAC), Sound 3 (AAC).

u can goto Settings and set HDMI/Digital Audio Output: <PCM> or <BS Out>.

PCM - this means the draco stb will decode the audio and send to tv. since draco carries MDA's stereo-only label, so it can only support stereo audio. however, i tested that all 3 audio tracks can be decoded as stereo (no dolby), my tv got sound for all and show as "stereo".

BS Out - this means the draco stb will output raw audio (without decoding) to tv and let tv decode the audio. my sony bravia tv is able to decode all Dolby and AAC. tv will show "Dolby" or "Stereo" respectively.

because of this "BS Out" option, i think MDA has put the wrong label. draco stb should be Surround-Ready.
Your test result is really important. It does seemed to show that the Draco is better than the other Ali chipset tuner as in it's able to output "BS" to let the receiver to decode it. But since most receiver cannot decode AAC5.1, we are back to square one that only DD 5.1 will work on most receiver.

Bad also that, when you choose PCM, it's being downmixed to Stereo instead of PCM 6 channels.

Did you try connect the Draco directly to the receiver & then from receiver to the TV? I am asking to see if one can get the Draco to output AAC5.1 to the receiver & the receiver plays AAC 5.1 correctly.

Trying to make up my mind to buy the Ali chipset tuner from Aliexpress as Polyboiboi & Kiw8 using or get the Draco from NTUC extra same as what you using.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #1841

i suggest you go to ntuc fairprice hypermart like those at amk or
serangoon, you can open up the draco box, plug in to display tv
or any stereo receiver and play around, no one bother you there.

if staff comes, ask them to set up for you to test even better.
but as i mention before, there are very few programs broad
cast in dolby digital as you request, when tv broadcast on
saturday evening then you go to fairprice test draco for
dolby digital.

if u go to courts ask for draco, they don't even know where they
keep the box, ask you want to buy tv not ?

Last edited by tan1688; 06-04-2014 at 03:45 PM..
Old 06-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #1842
Honorary Member

Newbie here. My new TV(DVB T2 ready) is able to receive all digital channels like HD5, Digital 8, U and CNA through the old SCV port. I saw some ppl can receive HD8 and HDU by installing indoor antenna or so. May I how much does it cost and where to buy it? I asked the Courts staff when I bought the TV and he just told me plug into the old SCV port can receive le lol.
any indoor antenna will do, even the rabbit ear iirc. can go hardware shop find.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #1843
Arch-Supremacy Member

My next step of the matter will be in testing the recording feature of the DVB-T2 box on the USB thumbdrive. First using the NTFS file system and then using the FAT32 file system.

Since a 15-min recording takes up to 1GB for a HD channel, I reckon it will cross the 4GB threshold for FAT32 very soon, and hence it's probably better to use the NTFS system.

Later will probably be testing a USB harddrive on it, with more capacity than a typical thumbdrive.
That is yet another problem that folks here don't talk about much.

Previously, I used DVB-T to record on PC & encountered this. Took me a while to figure out that the problem is with Fat32, where each file in Fat32 cannot exceed 4G. Later on, I switched to NTFS & EXT3 in linux since I'm using PC, most hollywood movies would be recorded into a file ranging between 10~14G. That's huge.

Question now, for those using Draco or the Ali 9003 tuner from aliexpress, have anyone reformating your USB drive to NTFS & managed to record a full movie into a single 10~14G file? If you use FAT32 for your USB harddisk, then your recording will just stop at 4G file. Is that correct?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #1844
pjs

That is yet another problem that folks here don't talk about much.

Question now, for those using Draco or the Ali 9003 tuner from aliexpress, have anyone reformating your USB drive to NTFS & managed to record a full movie into a single 10~14G file? If you use FAT32 for your USB harddisk, then your recording will just stop at 4G file. Is that correct?
My China Made Box:
"The receiver will only support USB device with FAT32 file system. It will not support NTFS file system"
Don't know about 4G limit though.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #1845
Arch-Supremacy Member

My China Made Box:
"The receiver will only support USB device with FAT32 file system. It will not support NTFS file system"
Don't know about 4G limit though.
Which tuner box you using? The Ali chipset 9003 from aliexpress?

Try it yourself, use EPG to record a Hollywood movie or any program that stretches for 2hours inclusive of ad. The recording will stop once the file hit 4G & into maybe ~40 minutes or 1/3 of the 2hours running time....

Last edited by coyote; 06-04-2014 at 07:09 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.