Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Hi bros. After reading the few posts on the SCV ports on the walls. Can I say that my TV will receiving the digital channels from there? Because I did the scanning but no results. And I feel like buying the antenna now as I cannot tahan the poor quality. My TV have the built-in DVB-T2 tuner. Any help? I am staying in Punggol. Or is it because my area here is not ready yet as seen on the MDA site?

There is another thread on equipment used by fellow bros. And I found two of them, one living in punggol or the other in Seng Kang who bought the antenna. And they are already enjoying the digital channels.

The MDA site also nvr mention that the SCV ports will be used for receiving the digital channels leh.

Any advise. Thanks!

You need a DVB-T2 indoor antenna with booster/amplifier function as the SCV point isn't made to transmit DVB-T2 signals.

:)

ACeRyan

Reaction score
Hi bros... I juz gotten the acryan dvb-t2 box, need some help here...
I can receive typical mediacorp channels but only channel 8 cant receive, tried on manual freq but still nothing...
Staying in toa payoh and using the normal wall-jack direct connect...

Hi bro kinki you have to use an indoor antenna, or the Playon! Booster Antenna. Connecting to wall jack (SCV) will not get you the DVB-T2 channels.

ACeRyan

Reaction score
Hi bros. After reading the few posts on the SCV ports on the walls. Can I say that my TV will receiving the digital channels from there? Because I did the scanning but no results. And I feel like buying the antenna now as I cannot tahan the poor quality. My TV have the built-in DVB-T2 tuner. Any help? I am staying in Punggol. Or is it because my area here is not ready yet as seen on the MDA site?

There is another thread on equipment used by fellow bros. And I found two of them, one living in punggol or the other in Seng Kang who bought the antenna. And they are already enjoying the digital channels.

The MDA site also nvr mention that the SCV ports will be used for receiving the digital channels leh.

Any advise. Thanks!

What bro mingfreakrsx said

Ah Ken

Reaction score
You need a DVB-T2 indoor antenna with booster/amplifier function as the SCV point isn't made to transmit DVB-T2 signals.

Hi bro, I look at the map by mediacorp. Punggol will be ready 2015/2016. By then will they use this SCV ports? Or is it die die must buy the antenna? Thank you!

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Hi bro, I look at the map by mediacorp. Punggol will be ready 2015/2016. By then will they use this SCV ports? Or is it die die must buy the antenna? Thank you!
Nope, they will not be using the SCV ports and yes, you die die need an indoor antenna if you want digital channels.
You also possibly need an indoor antenna with booster/amplifier function as Punggol currently don't have DVB-T2 indoor reception yet.

Ah Ken

Reaction score
Nope, they will not be using the SCV ports and yes, you die die need an indoor antenna if you want digital channels.
You also possibly need an indoor antenna with booster/amplifier function as Punggol currently don't have DVB-T2 indoor reception yet.

OK! Thanks bro! What brand should I go for? I see courts, Best and HN selling Daiyo and Draco brands. Still have one more but i cannot rmb it well. What's ur set-up as well?

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to answer my own questions.

1. Recording to NTFS works! I time-recorded 2 hours strech of video & it is recorded into a single 8GB mts file. This is better than some tuner boxes that only allows one to record into a FAT32 USB device where the recording will be broken into multiple 4GB files.

2. subtitles work as & when available. See below.

3. When I use XBMC to analyse the recordings, it showed many of the programs are actually in dolby digital plus. Now that actual post a problem with my low end Philip receiver that actually have the dialogue came out from both center & the front left & front right speakers... I have no idea how to play dolby digital plus 5.1 audio correctly so far. Rightfully, dialogue is supposed to come out from center speaker only if it's decoded & played back correctly. Anybody knew how? This seemed to be supported by only very advanced receiver only. :s11::(

4 Question: how to record in other format than mts? Any expert can advice?

xlxyyh.jpg

oan4sy.jpg

2vbvvqf.jpg

2wn8oci.jpg

Last edited:

Lord_Kang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess you are getting the DVB-T Channel 5 (610MHz). DVB-T is quite bad, think TVMobile.

The DVB-T2 HD 5 is 538MHz, try to reposition your antenna :)

How do I ensure the channels that was scanned earlier remained saved? Just realised the channels that was scanned earlier on are gone after some days without turning on the tv.

Is this due to the digital broadcast not being fully roll out at my area or this will be the problem even if it is fully roll out island wide?

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1. Recording to NTFS works! I time-recorded 2 hours strech of video & it is recorded into a single 8GB mts file. This is better than some tuner boxes that only allows one to record into a FAT32 USB device where the recording will be broken into multiple 4GB files.

3. When I use XBMC to analyse the recordings, it showed many of the programs are actually in dolby digital plus. Now that actual post a problem with my low end Philip receiver that actually have the dialogue came out from both center & the front left & front right speakers... I have no idea how to play dolby digital plus 5.1 audio correctly so far. Rightfully, dialogue is supposed to come out from center speaker only if it's decoded & played back correctly. Anybody knew how? This seemed to be supported by only very advanced receiver only. :s11::(

xlxyyh.jpg

oan4sy.jpg

2vbvvqf.jpg

2wn8oci.jpg

I dont think there's a way to record in other format than m2ts.
What you can do is to encode the m2ts to mkv/mp4 file.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
OK! Thanks bro! What brand should I go for? I see courts, Best and HN selling Daiyo and Draco brands. Still have one more but i cannot rmb it well. What's ur set-up as well?

There are several brands such as Daiyo, Margon, Draco and AC Ryan, available locally.

You should consider getting indoor antenna with booster/amplifier function as your area(Punggol) isn't certified as indoor reception ready. Models are:
>Daiyo HD Digital Indoor Antenna EU1702
>Margon Home 2.0 / Margon Combo 5.1
>AC Ryan Playon! DVB-T2 Booster Antenna

bennylbf

Reaction score
Any seller/model to recommend in aliexpress?
Seems like this one no more avalibable -> m.aliexpress.com/item/979154154.html

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score

xlxyyh.jpg

oan4sy.jpg

2vbvvqf.jpg

2wn8oci.jpg

It kind of irritates me when the subtitles are stretched and SD.

chong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IIMpof2.jpg

just received this, connected to my MATV

picture is ok but the sound is funny, sound like it's coming from a tin can.

quite disappointed with this.

Do not try this model.

Are you getting the sound from HDMI or RCA outs?

chong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can you confirm that those DVB-T2 receiver you guys bought from Aliexpress can do EPG recording? I asked the Sinho seller. He has no idea what I am talking.

EPG recording means this, Eg. you see Germany vs Argentina to be aired on channel 5 4am~7am next Monday. You see this on the EPG & just click on it & let the unit sits there & by Monday, it will automatically record the program start time & ends at program end time according to the EPG.

I am surprised ShinHo does not know what is EPG recording when he sold many such units.

Your answer will be appreciated. Thanks for being helpful in the channel.

209k8py.jpg

Hi coyote,
hope to get your input on 3 questions:

1. You bought the 3rd (most bottom) model in the picture right?

2. Do you need to manually select audio for HD channels? I read that some models have no sound for HD channels by default and hence need to manually select the audio stream.

3. How are the audio and picture quality? Are you connecting through HDMI?

4. Is the audio in sync with the video?

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

stamina

Reaction score
Yes, there are switches. Go to ur neighbourhood electrical store.
What eaxaclty the switch called? I bougt one last time 5 dollars but didnt work. My tv is lg 690T. The tv can store two modes silmultaniously meh?can detect the switching between cable and Matv?

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi coyote,
hope to get your input on 3 questions:

1. You bought the 3rd (most bottom) model in the picture right?

2. Do you need to manually select audio for HD channels? I read that some models have no sound for HD channels by default and hence need to manually select the audio stream.

3. How are the audio and picture quality? Are you connecting through HDMI?

4. Is the audio in sync with the video?

Thank you! :)

1. Yes.
2. No need, somehow my default option always has sound. When I press "Audio", there were usually 3 audio channels to choose from, some has no sound presumably because it's expecting to output to dolby digital plus 5.1 which I don't have the audio receiver to decode that. So, I guess that's normal. For the default stereo I always have sound.
3. Standard quality, can't tell much as I'm connecting to a HD-Ready 720p 32" TV. Yes, connected via HDMI.
4. Never encounter audio out-of-sync so far.

Streetwise

Reaction score

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OK. Finally a 15 meters Belden antenna does the job pulling the signal from one side of my HDB to another where my 42" TV is.

Now I can really see the Glee concert in full HD on the big screen so clear and sharp. Nice!

chong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Yes.
2. No need, somehow my default option always has sound. When I press "Audio", there were usually 3 audio channels to choose from, some has no sound presumably because it's expecting to output to dolby digital plus 5.1 which I don't have the audio receiver to decode that. So, I guess that's normal. For the default stereo I always have sound.
3. Standard quality, can't tell much as I'm connecting to a HD-Ready 720p 32" TV. Yes, connected via HDMI.
4. Never encounter audio out-of-sync so far.

Thanks a lot for sharing! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.