HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Like Tree190Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #2491

Ah... now I see what you meant. STB viewed the multiple files as a single file, that is interesting too. Wait till my set arrives, will test out the thing...

Do you use those 2.5" (no external power) USB portable hard disk with this? Does the single USB port has enough power to drive such 2.5" portable hdd?

Yes, I use a 2.5" USB portable hard disk for the recording. There is no issue with my recordings, so yes, the STB does provide enough power.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #2492
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, I use a 2.5" USB portable hard disk for the recording. There is no issue with my recordings, so yes, the STB does provide enough power.
Cool. Can't wait to get my STB...

Last edited by coyote; 13-07-2014 at 10:01 AM..
Old 13-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #2493

i use a external DVB T2 set up box and connect to tv via HDMI

when watching CH 8 (HD) while english subtitle is available(like local drama),default subtitle is off,when i select english subtitle,subtitle came out 2 or 3 line,then after awhile its disappear,then i reselect english subtitle(which already selected previously) again,its came out 2 or 3 line and later disappear again.

CH 5 HD chinese subtitle do not have this problem.

anyone face the same problem?
Old 13-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #2494
Supremacy Member

Hi,

I am a Starhub subscriber and am looking to upgrade my TV. The model (Sharp LC-70LE735X) I am looking as did not list DVB-T2 as a feature. I downloaded the manual and it says DVB-T. So I am not sure if I can catch all the FTA HD channels via the Starhub set top box.

I read through this whole lot of threads but I am super confused especially the info on the first page about SCV socket carrying DVB-C and only HD5 whereas MDA's website says no need to do anything...

Anyone can explain? Does digital TV referred below = HD?

Quoted by MDA's FAQ webpage.
======================================================
1. What do I have to do? Will I need to buy a new TV? What other equipment do I need to purchase?

Existing TV sets can still be used. If you are a StarHub TV or SingTel mio TV subscriber, you do not need to do anything as you can receive and watch the MediaCorp TV channels in digital quality through your pay TV service. However, if you have secondary TV sets not subscribed to Pay TV service, these TV sets would require a digital receiver and antenna each. Subscribers who are currently using Standard-Definition set-top boxes can consider upgrading their set-top boxes to support the High-Definition TV programmes.

For non pay TV subscribers, all you need to do is to buy an antenna and a DVB-T2 digital set-top box and connect them to your existing TV sets to watch digital TV. You can also consider buying a new TV with a built-in DVB-T2 digital tuner (Integrated Digital TV or IDTV) and an indoor antenna, in which case you do not need to purchase a separate set-top box.
====================================================

Last edited by Teo Ming Ern; 13-07-2014 at 07:47 PM..
Old 13-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #2495
Supremacy Member

Second thing I would like to clarify is: If I buy a second TV for my bedroom and it is a DVB-T2 ready model, would plugging into the SCV box give me all the FTA HD channels? Or I still have to buy an antennae?
Old 13-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #2496
Arch-Supremacy Member

have played with combined antenna before
didn't encounter any side effect on video quality and no noticeable improvement either since signal already max with a single cheapo antenna

anyway, he can always read up more online, experience it himself and learn
power la, the legend reply my post

anyway is there anywhere i can get a ac powered high gain antenna? what is the best high gain ac powered antenna for dvb-t2 now?
Old 13-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #2497
Arch-Supremacy Member

power la, the legend reply my post

anyway is there anywhere i can get a ac powered high gain antenna? what is the best high gain ac powered antenna for dvb-t2 now?
Old 13-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #2498

Second thing I would like to clarify is: If I buy a second TV for my bedroom and it is a DVB-T2 ready model, would plugging into the SCV box give me all the FTA HD channels? Or I still have to buy an antennae?
Nope, you still need an indoor antenna but if you got a new TV that has DVB-T2/C tuners, you can plug your TV to the SCV point and get HD5, and maybe Ch8(HD) and other MediaCorp HD channels in the future.

Old 13-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #2499
Arch-Supremacy Member

New toy for Deepavali: AverTV Digi Volar X & SoundTech TVA-600 - Digital TV on PC

$42? is it good? ac powered which part of sg you stay? can get good signal? i am in tamp
Old 13-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #2500

possible to update with your DVB-T2 setup after you receive your STB?
seems that we live around the same area
Old 13-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #2501
Arch-Supremacy Member

New toy for Deepavali: AverTV Digi Volar X & SoundTech TVA-600 - Digital TV on PC

$42? is it good? ac powered which part of sg you stay? can get good signal? i am in tamp
Yes, indeed I used that antenna with Aver TV volar X DVB-T tuner to catch HD5 signal before the USB tuner kick the bucket. Accordingly, DVB-T needs close to 70% or more signal strength to be stable & that's why I hang it outside my windows & I was getting borderline between 65~78% from time to time at Yew Tee area, low floor, right infront the army camp.

Learning from brothers here. DVB-T2 is more robust that, anything more than 40~50% signal strength is enough to get a steady channel feed. So, I'm decently optimistic that the DVB-T2 box should work well with this SoundTech TVA-600 indoor/outdoor antenna.... not sure if I still need to hang it indoor/outdoor.

Will share...

Last edited by coyote; 13-07-2014 at 10:19 PM..
Old 13-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #2502
High Supremacy Member

Hi,

I am a Starhub subscriber and am looking to upgrade my TV. The model (Sharp LC-70LE735X) I am looking as did not list DVB-T2 as a feature. I downloaded the manual and it says DVB-T. So I am not sure if I can catch all the FTA HD channels via the Starhub set top box.

I read through this whole lot of threads but I am super confused especially the info on the first page about SCV socket carrying DVB-C and only HD5 whereas MDA's website says no need to do anything...

Anyone can explain? Does digital TV referred below = HD?

Quoted by MDA's FAQ webpage.
======================================================
1. What do I have to do? Will I need to buy a new TV? What other equipment do I need to purchase?

Existing TV sets can still be used. If you are a StarHub TV or SingTel mio TV subscriber, you do not need to do anything as you can receive and watch the MediaCorp TV channels in digital quality through your pay TV service. However, if you have secondary TV sets not subscribed to Pay TV service, these TV sets would require a digital receiver and antenna each. Subscribers who are currently using Standard-Definition set-top boxes can consider upgrading their set-top boxes to support the High-Definition TV programmes.

For non pay TV subscribers, all you need to do is to buy an antenna and a DVB-T2 digital set-top box and connect them to your existing TV sets to watch digital TV. You can also consider buying a new TV with a built-in DVB-T2 digital tuner (Integrated Digital TV or IDTV) and an indoor antenna, in which case you do not need to purchase a separate set-top box.
====================================================
StarHub TV viewers do not need any DVB-T or DVB-T2 tuner on the TV itself to receive Digital SD and HD channels, your digital SD and HD STBs are already transmitting these digital channels via DVB-C. Only HD FTA digital channels will be available later. Now HD FTA only have HD5, the rest FTA channels all in SD.

TVs with DVB-T2 tuner are only required if you do not have any subscription to these paid TV services, and wish to view FTA HD channels. External antenna is required to be connected to the DVB-T2 tuner on those TVs, not to HDB home StarHub TV wall point (unless is those oldishj HDB MATV which are connected all the way to master antenna on your block rooftop).

Last edited by MoneyFace =p; 13-07-2014 at 11:20 PM..
Old 13-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #2503
High Supremacy Member

Plugging SCV STBs into any TV will only give you whatever StarHub can provide right now, i.e. HD5 and others SD FTA channels.

To watch HD FTA channels, you'll need external antenna. A powered antenna costing $20-60 will be ideal. If that particular bedroom's window is in a favourable location, i.e. facing Bukit Timah Hill, you might be able to receive the HD FTA channels just using a homemade, DIY passive antenna costing from just $8 (materials fee). Info on how to DIY one has already been extensively discussed on this forum.
Old 14-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #2504
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, indeed I used that antenna with Aver TV volar X DVB-T tuner to catch HD5 signal before the USB tuner kick the bucket. Accordingly, DVB-T needs close to 70% or more signal strength to be stable & that's why I hang it outside my windows & I was getting borderline between 65~78% from time to time at Yew Tee area, low floor, right infront the army camp.

Learning from brothers here. DVB-T2 is more robust that, anything more than 40~50% signal strength is enough to get a steady channel feed. So, I'm decently optimistic that the DVB-T2 box should work well with this SoundTech TVA-600 indoor/outdoor antenna.... not sure if I still need to hang it indoor/outdoor.

Will share...
how much gain are we talking about here?
Old 14-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #2505
Supremacy Member

StarHub TV viewers do not need any DVB-T or DVB-T2 tuner on the TV itself to receive Digital SD and HD channels, your digital SD and HD STBs are already transmitting these digital channels via DVB-C. Only HD FTA digital channels will be available later. Now HD FTA only have HD5, the rest FTA channels all in SD.

TVs with DVB-T2 tuner are only required if you do not have any subscription to these paid TV services, and wish to view FTA HD channels. External antenna is required to be connected to the DVB-T2 tuner on those TVs, not to HDB home StarHub TV wall point (unless is those oldishj HDB MATV which are connected all the way to master antenna on your block rooftop).
Thank you bro! Your reply is very helpful! Then I can go ahead and buy my Sharp 70 inch.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.