HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Like Tree190Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #2656
High Supremacy Member

Yes, the SCV point transmit analog and digital DVB-C signals but not digital DVB-T/T2 signals.
1. Does that mean if you got a DVBT2 TV but connect to SCV point (no subscription), you will not be able to receive HD; as SCV has no intend to transmit DVB-T2 but DVB-C ?

2. Will SCV be cutting off FTA analog channels in their cables in 2015/6?
Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #2657

1. Does that mean if you got a DVBT2 TV but connect to SCV point (no subscription), you will not be able to receive HD; as SCV has no intend to transmit DVB-T2 but DVB-C ?

2. Will SCV be cutting off FTA analog channels in their cables in 2015/6?
1. Yes, you are correct but if you have a DVB-T2/DVB-C TV, you can receive only HD5 through the SCV point.

2. I have enquired this with StarHub, but they say they currently don't have info whether SCV will still carry FTA analog channels after 2016. However, if Mediacorp shuts down its SD channels in the future, StarHub can't carry Mediacorp SD channels through the SCV point too.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #2658

I am using samsung smart led tv. Set top box is Draco HDT2 -7300 DVB T2. Tried with Hitachi 2.0 usb 750MB and Hitachi 3.0USB 500MB. Also tried with Scandisk 2.0USB 8GB. I tried them using FAT32 and NTFS both also smae result.
On not being able to rec'd HD channels...u do know that full implementation of DVBT2 will happen in 2016. If u've MATV(rooftop antenna - only older flats hve), try tat. If no, u can try connecting a external booster antenna.

On the HDD error....seems like the usb not supplying enough power to ur drives...thus, u getting the msg.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #2659
Supremacy Member

1. Yes, you are correct but if you have a DVB-T2/DVB-C TV, you can receive only HD5 through the SCV point.

2. I have enquired this with StarHub, but they say they currently don't have info whether SCV will still carry FTA analog channels after 2016. However, if Mediacorp shuts down its SD channels in the future, StarHub can't carry Mediacorp SD channels through the SCV point too.

I wonder if this is just nonsense... cos the MDA FAQ says that if you have either a Starhub or Mio set top box, you will have no problem receiving the FTA HD channels. But the Starhub set top box takes it signal from the SCV junction box in every home in Singapore... so I can't imagine how you can't receive the FTA HD channels via the SCV junction box... how else would Starhub send the signal to your set top box?

Unless after 2016, Starhub switches over to IPTV completely. Which the new HD Interactive set top box has provision for... and in any case, it seems that for now, Starhub will have to send the FTA HD channels via the current cable network since that is promised by MDA but it also is strange that only HD5 is carried now and not HD8... someone here said later this year, but that's just an educated guess... so I wonder...
Old 03-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #2660
Supremacy Member

And I checked the Mediacorp website again... very sian... my new place is in Jurong West but the rollout is scheduled only for 2015-2016... which means I buy an antenna also no use for now since the signal is probably non-existent... and so that leaves me with plugging the TV in my bedroom to the SCV wall point... which means SD for all channels on a 40 inch full HD TV... which means crap picture quality...

Anyone here lives in Jurong West (near Jurong Point Mall) and is able to receive all the channels using one of the standard antennas sold in the large electronics shops like Best Denki or Courts, etc? Many thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #2661

StarHub is still issuing out SD Hubstation to their broadband customers on 2 yrs contract. By doing so, they are further delaying the rollout of HD n shutting down of MediaCorp SD chs. Cos they will argue n said they still have customers with SD boxes. That is StarHub bo chap attitude.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #2662

Smile

And I checked the Mediacorp website again... very sian... my new place is in Jurong West but the rollout is scheduled only for 2015-2016... which means I buy an antenna also no use for now since the signal is probably non-existent... and so that leaves me with plugging the TV in my bedroom to the SCV wall point... which means SD for all channels on a 40 inch full HD TV... which means crap picture quality...

Anyone here lives in Jurong West (near Jurong Point Mall) and is able to receive all the channels using one of the standard antennas sold in the large electronics shops like Best Denki or Courts, etc? Many thanks in advance!
If based on our STB customer list, you can just use the normal antenna will be able to receive all the digital channels in your area (Jurong West).

If you want to buy a an antenna from those shops, please make sure that antenna cable length is enough for you to move the antenna from your TV to the window. In case the digital signal in your location is weak.

I have few pieces indoor antenna at home,if you want for trying, i can loan you a piece for testing first.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #2663
Supremacy Member

If based on our STB customer list, you can just use the normal antenna will be able to receive all the digital channels in your area (Jurong West).

If you want to buy a an antenna from those shops, please make sure that antenna cable length is enough for you to move the antenna from your TV to the window. In case the digital signal in your location is weak.

I have few pieces indoor antenna at home,if you want for trying, i can loan you a piece for testing first.
Oh really? That's great! I don't testing a piece to see if I can get sufficient signal. Actually the TV is next to a window.. but this window opens to the aircon ledge which faces the service yard of my house. So it's almost like an emtombed column of space. There is another window which is on the opposite wall to the TV, the window faces a wide open space - not really blocked. So not sure if it will work...

Do PM me if you can help me with the testing piece. I'm looking to test it on 11 Aug when the TV is being mounted and tested.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #2664
Arch-Supremacy Member

Oh really? That's great! I don't testing a piece to see if I can get sufficient signal. Actually the TV is next to a window.. but this window opens to the aircon ledge which faces the service yard of my house. So it's almost like an emtombed column of space. There is another window which is on the opposite wall to the TV, the window faces a wide open space - not really blocked. So not sure if it will work...

Do PM me if you can help me with the testing piece. I'm looking to test it on 11 Aug when the TV is being mounted and tested.
Basically, you just need to get some measurements & go to Sim Lim Tower & ask them to cut you a belden cables to the length you want. Then you can test all you like. This works for me.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #2665

I stay in woodlands and rollout is suppose to be next year. But I bought a digital receiver and digital antenna from aliexpress, and can receive all the channels.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #2666
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes i am staying in that area and i can receive all DVB-T2 channels clearly.
Am using the Amazon extreme antennae
Old 04-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #2667
Master Member

HD signal reception depends on whether your apartment is blocked too. I stay in Pasir Ris but I can get all digital HD channels + SD channels with a cheapo Draco ANT-500, I can place it anywhere in the house and all channels' quality + signal strength are always at 100%. I think its probably because my apartment is on the 17th floor, and I have an unblocked view all the way to the city (can see MBS from my apartment).

So I think its worth a try if you stay very high floor, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #2668
Banned

StarHub is still issuing out SD Hubstation to their broadband customers on 2 yrs contract. By doing so, they are further delaying the rollout of HD n shutting down of MediaCorp SD chs. Cos they will argue n said they still have customers with SD boxes. That is StarHub bo chap attitude.
How you know all these?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #2669
Supremacy Member

HD signal reception depends on whether your apartment is blocked too. I stay in Pasir Ris but I can get all digital HD channels + SD channels with a cheapo Draco ANT-500, I can place it anywhere in the house and all channels' quality + signal strength are always at 100%. I think its probably because my apartment is on the 17th floor, and I have an unblocked view all the way to the city (can see MBS from my apartment).

So I think its worth a try if you stay very high floor, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Problem is I stay only on 7th floor... not high enough... but as a bro here has kindly agreed to loan a piece of antenna for testing I will take that option first.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #2670
Supremacy Member

Yes i am staying in that area and i can receive all DVB-T2 channels clearly.
Am using the Amazon extreme antennae
Thanks bro!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.