HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Like Tree190Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #3211

Good DIY antenna

Any bro also order cheap n good non powered antenna for the tv tuner? Can recommend good one thx
Can consider making a simple DIY fractal antenna that works really well in my own experience. Just 10 mins or less, most materials already have around the house: A4 paper, clear plastic sheet (I recycled from front cover of old report with binding), kitchen aluminium foil, glue stick, 2 small screws like those used in PC DIY.

The 75-300 ohm balun transformer is the only item that may not possibly be readily available: can get one for $5 from 2nd floor audio/mic shop at Sim Lim Tower (maybe even cheaper from other shops). You can Google the image to show the shop owners. I also saw a cheap $3.20 dipole antenna at Sheng Siong (maybe even cheaper at neighbourhood stores) that you can dismantle to use the balun transformer. Better if still got old antenna lying around to be salvaged without spending a cent!

I was very skeptical that such a simple non-powered antenna, that costs zero to a few dollars to make, can have decent performance. But wow, it picked up all the local DVB-T2 and DVB-T channels with signal intensity 80+ to 99% and signal quality about 98%; video & audio both very smooth (as good or better than from Starhub cable point) even for HD channels like HD5 & HD8. Only thing is I have to place mine right next to window (I think my area not indoor reception-ready yet). If antenna cable not long enough, can join up shorter cables using adapters ($2-3 at hardware stores) without having to buy a new long cable.

No harm trying this super cheap yet good method. I also tried another DIY method using CD case and binder clips, it could receive signals but choppy video for HD channels. Have fun!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #3212
Great Supremacy Member

Can consider making a simple DIY fractal antenna that works really well in my own experience. Just 10 mins or less, most materials already have around the house: A4 paper, clear plastic sheet (I recycled from front cover of old report with binding), kitchen aluminium foil, glue stick, 2 small screws like those used in PC DIY.

The 75-300 ohm balun transformer is the only item that may not possibly be readily available: can get one for $5 from 2nd floor audio/mic shop at Sim Lim Tower (maybe even cheaper from other shops). You can Google the image to show the shop owners. I also saw a cheap $3.20 dipole antenna at Sheng Siong (maybe even cheaper at neighbourhood stores) that you can dismantle to use the balun transformer. Better if still got old antenna lying around to be salvaged without spending a cent!

I was very skeptical that such a simple non-powered antenna, that costs zero to a few dollars to make, can have decent performance. But wow, it picked up all the local DVB-T2 and DVB-T channels with signal intensity 80+ to 99% and signal quality about 98%; video & audio both very smooth (as good or better than from Starhub cable point) even for HD channels like HD5 & HD8. Only thing is I have to place mine right next to window (I think my area not indoor reception-ready yet). If antenna cable not long enough, can join up shorter cables using adapters ($2-3 at hardware stores) without having to buy a new long cable.

No harm trying this super cheap yet good method. I also tried another DIY method using CD case and binder clips, it could receive signals but choppy video for HD channels. Have fun!
Hey thanks going to try it when I free.. Cheers
Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #3213
Great Supremacy Member

Thanks iceman .. i almost done up my fractal antenna and looking for balun RCA connect..

searching around my store room i found one copper wire type of antenna wanna cut out the plug to join to my antenna but i think why not try out the antenna.. Plug it to the digital tuner all channels 100% signal strength.... wasted my effort on the handicraft...

Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #3214
Great Supremacy Member

Check with u guys.. Is channel u in HD? The channel is 522mhz right
Old 02-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #3215

Check with u guys.. Is channel u in HD? The channel is 522mhz right
Only 5, 8, Suria and Vas is in HD. okto, U and CNA will go HD by 2016.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #3216
Great Supremacy Member

Thx for replying...
Old 04-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #3217

searching around my store room i found one copper wire type of antenna wanna cut out the plug to join to my antenna but i think why not try out the antenna.. Plug it to the digital tuner all channels 100% signal strength.... wasted my effort on the handicraft...
I read that copper wire is best when making DIY antenna and sometimes one's location is good enough that even a piece of bare copper wire does the trick! Which makes you realise how much the antenna manufacturers are ripping consumers off with claims about the performance of their expensive "HD" or "fully digital" antennas. Even if the customer gives priority to aesthetics and wants a beautiful antenna, it's only a paperweight if can't perform at all! Problem only if your family is the kind to nag about ugly equipment and messy wiring

Nah, don't think u wasted your effort as your design looks really cool and can be a conversation piece for your visitors! Some people on internet even make DIY antennas to sell. Making stuff with your hands is also good stress relief!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #3218
Banned

StarHub channel 981 has moved to channel 155, which means now HD5 on Starhub has the subtitles option.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #3219

StarHub channel 981 has moved to channel 155, which means now HD5 on Starhub has the subtitles option.
Really? So it's now receiving from DVB-T2 signal and not DVB-T? Any frequency changes to non starbub box users?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #3220
Honorary Member

Really? So it's now receiving from DVB-T2 signal and not DVB-T? Any frequency changes to non starbub box users?
No, the DVB-T2 signal is still broadcasting in the air. What chakuman is referring to, is the DVB-C signal carried by the StarHub TV point.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

If you are signing up to giga mobile plan and need a referral code, you can use my referral code <Ym8UNG>.
Ends 26 Nov 2020. Not applicable to $18 popup plan.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #3221
Great Supremacy Member

Using my copper wire antenna can recieve more chanel. All the digital SD channel. 2 x HD 5.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #3222

No, the DVB-T2 signal is still broadcasting in the air. What chakuman is referring to, is the DVB-C signal carried by the StarHub TV point.
Ya I know. Previously 155 is receiving via DVB-T signal (explains why the hard coded subtitles). I understand 116 (Suria HD) 154 (8 HD) and 156 (Vas HD) is receiving via DVB-T2 that's why we can toggle the subtitles. Previously 981 is Ch 5 HD DVB-T2 signal. As mentioned 981 is now on 155 so all FTA channels on DVB-C is now running from DVB-T2 signals. Sorry if I'm confusing.

Edit: just checked. No frequency changes. Though we ought to know that all our FTA HD channels on DVB-C is receiving from T2 signals now.

Last edited by b00mxer; 05-12-2014 at 01:53 AM..
Old 05-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #3223
Supremacy Member

Ya I know. Previously 155 is receiving via DVB-T signal (explains why the hard coded subtitles). I understand 116 (Suria HD) 154 (8 HD) and 156 (Vas HD) is receiving via DVB-T2 that's why we can toggle the subtitles. Previously 981 is Ch 5 HD DVB-T2 signal. As mentioned 981 is now on 155 so all FTA channels on DVB-C is now running from DVB-T2 signals. Sorry if I'm confusing.

Edit: just checked. No frequency changes. Though we ought to know that all our FTA HD channels on DVB-C is receiving from T2 signals now.
I know what you are trying to say, but it still sounds like you don't

It doesn't run on DVB-T2 signals, it runs off the same broadcasting feed as the DVB-T2 channels.

Last edited by Qubicfactor; 05-12-2014 at 04:50 AM..
Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #3224
Honorary Member

No.... technically the master source is just a digital source, whether be it HD or SD. Then this source is modulated either to DVB-T2 or DVB-C as appropriate for the air and cable respectively. U should not be looking at it as DVB-C converted from DVB-T2 or vice versa.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

If you are signing up to giga mobile plan and need a referral code, you can use my referral code <Ym8UNG>.
Ends 26 Nov 2020. Not applicable to $18 popup plan.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #3225
Banned

Thanks Kiwi8 for clarifying, lol
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.