HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Like Tree190Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #3286
Supremacy Member

my antenna is only 2 long wires, i can pickup all the 7 channels. strength at 15% but that is good enough to watch already. the beauty of digital signal . i at bedok low floor.
I live at highest floor lol
Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #3287

maybe there are still some weak spots in spore, hopefully when full roll out 2015/16 all these will be solved.

I live at highest floor lol
wc1985 likes this.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #3288

Ya sg site because their firmware block c already so they don't want ppl to know they have c

any idea why samsung wants to block DVB-C in Singapore?
Is it illegal to use DVB-C in Singapore?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #3289

I will be trying to access the service menu to change the region to something else..(else well as see time on power to see if it is a display set, or not)..

but first need to get my hands on a samsung smart controller that WORKS!! can't believe my set only has the smart touch remote...lol.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #3290
Supremacy Member

I highly doubt that there is any law that says it's illegal. After all, the FTA channels are left unencrypted.

I think it's just Starhub being uncomfortable with people realising that their TVs can actually "see" the encrypted channels and tempt them into trying to find illegal ways to tap in.

If you noticed, the latest Starhub set top boxes are by Samsung, which means that Starhub must have gotten their two cents with Samsung in the meanwhile.

Other TVs like Philips have no issues accessing DVB-C.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #3291
Supremacy Member

I will be trying to access the service menu to change the region to something else..(else well as see time on power to see if it is a display set, or not)..

but first need to get my hands on a samsung smart controller that WORKS!! can't believe my set only has the smart touch remote...lol.
can buy from ebay, original one like 20+, compatible samsung remotes like 10+. My tv also only has the smart remote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #3292

Just borrowed my sisters Samsung controller for her dvd player.. Does not work.

Found a new method of choosing country by going into TV setup.. But I chose UK, still No DVB-C tuner. Maybe Singapore set different?

Instead of buying antenna.. Is there some other method?

Oh side note.. Got some other options unavailable for Singapore.. Now I get to choose them.. Apps too. Lol

Last edited by CrazyBlue; 11-12-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Old 12-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #3293

Just borrowed my sisters Samsung controller for her dvd player.. Does not work.

Found a new method of choosing country by going into TV setup.. But I chose UK, still No DVB-C tuner. Maybe Singapore set different?

Instead of buying antenna.. Is there some other method?

Oh side note.. Got some other options unavailable for Singapore.. Now I get to choose them.. Apps too. Lol

Can you share the new method of choosing country??

If you are changing the region for Smart hub to UK, it's just affect Apps store... I don't think that will change tuner settings....
wc1985 likes this.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #3294

I highly doubt that there is any law that says it's illegal. After all, the FTA channels are left unencrypted.

I think it's just Starhub being uncomfortable with people realising that their TVs can actually "see" the encrypted channels and tempt them into trying to find illegal ways to tap in.

If you noticed, the latest Starhub set top boxes are by Samsung, which means that Starhub must have gotten their two cents with Samsung in the meanwhile.

Other TVs like Philips have no issues accessing DVB-C.
Wow! Starhub got so much power on Samsung???

Does this mean Starhub is infringing consumer's rights since we pay for the TV including DVB-C tuner?
Old 13-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #3295
Supremacy Member

Wow! Starhub got so much power on Samsung???

Does this mean Starhub is infringing consumer's rights since we pay for the TV including DVB-C tuner?
I don't have any insider info on what is going on, but logically thinking about it, Samsung disabling a feature that is present by default in their TVs has to be an intentional business decision. All the more with recent reports some Samsung TVs with working DVB-C tuners had their DVB-C tuners disabled by a new firmware update.

The only relationship I can think of between Samsung and Starhub on the TV side of things is the contract to supply the new set top boxes. The timing of this and the deployment of firmware updates to disable the DVB-C tuners couldn't be just a coincidence.
Old 14-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #3296
Greater Supremacy Member

Any one knows if sengkang, specifically near buangkok mrt, has signal for digital DVB-T2? Bought a Samsung HU7200 then realised digital ready means many things.. So I can't get HD 5.

Asked around and they all said if cannot get signal but the antenna is working, cannot exchange. So which antenna? I read hwz featured article mentioning the daiyo one. Then recently Draco.. Which is better?
living somewhere near this area, between buangkok and compasspoint

bought a draco ant-600 to try on my dvb-t2 ready tv, no signal

$29 down the drain
Old 14-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #3297

$29 down the drain
You can keep the item first.. cos by 2016 onwards, all will be fully digital tv ready one.. dun despair.. i just bought TV which DVB-TV ready too... but i decide not to buy the items worth $29 cos the saleman said that it is not urgent even 2016 come then all fully digital...

it may take 2 yrs to convert from analog to digital leh..
Old 14-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #3298
High Supremacy Member

$29 down the drain
try sticking it out your window?
Old 15-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #3299
Greater Supremacy Member

You can keep the item first.. cos by 2016 onwards, all will be fully digital tv ready one.. dun despair.. i just bought TV which DVB-TV ready too... but i decide not to buy the items worth $29 cos the saleman said that it is not urgent even 2016 come then all fully digital...

it may take 2 yrs to convert from analog to digital leh..
try sticking it out your window?
guess i'll just have to wait till 2015/2016 for my area to be indoor digital ready

the device is too short for me to stick out of my window

wonder if buying the $64 daiyo eu1702 will help but afraid to spend more money and end up no signal again
Old 15-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #3300
Arch-Supremacy Member

guess i'll just have to wait till 2015/2016 for my area to be indoor digital ready

the device is too short for me to stick out of my window

wonder if buying the $64 daiyo eu1702 will help but afraid to spend more money and end up no signal again
Just get a long antenna cable, that'll do. I assume your antenna is power-boosted.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.