Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

No signal from your condo MATV?
Maybe it's too weak. As jywl12 noted, signal is weak even in Pasir Ris. In Bishan, perhaps off the cliff already?
Zero on all channels except those of MediaCorp. I used to have fair reception of analogue SCTV and RCTV years ago, but now the signal is barely acceptable. Anyway, I don't watch Euro matches, or tv, anymore.

DVB signal doesn't require high signal, but then broadcaster would have used lower power transmitter too.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

I have problem getting FTA channels over the air using AC Ryan Playon DVR-HD which is a DVB-T box and a simple 5dBi indoor antenna. I suspect my location in Tampines Central at level 6 in the middle of a heavy built up HDB blocks is preventing any decent reception.

I ponder whether it is a good idea to spend on a better indoor antenna like Daiyo antenna EU1702 or a Margon Antenna. Any suggestion welcome. Thanks.
... I can't receive anything too with that indoor antenna.
If I connect the set to my HDB MATV point, I can receive all 4 DVB-T programming on UHF38.

Try the HDB MATV wall point 1st if your unit still have it.
High chance of success if the wall point is still connected to hdb matv. There may not be roof top antenna on this block. If this is the case, then the matv signal will come from neaby high rise block.

Read the spoiler:
TV MODEL (and size): 47LA623T

ANTENNA: HDB MATV

SET TOP BOX: Nil

Additional info (channels received, tips etc)

Able to recv all T2 HD & SD channels, 100% signal strength & quality~ T channels no prob since im able to recv since it started~ Also tested with diy CD case antenna, unable to receive as expected~ :s22:

GPGT for T2 channels~

SilveR1_09

Reaction score
Zero on all channels except those of MediaCorp. I used to have fair reception of analogue SCTV and RCTV years ago, but now the signal is barely acceptable. Anyway, I don't watch Euro matches, or tv, anymore.

DVB signal doesn't require high signal, but then broadcaster would have used lower power transmitter too.

For the DVB-T, it is signal still active from their previous trial in 2010. On UHF48.
Their transmitter is a R&S one. 2.5kW.

Their T2 rollout has been plagued by problems.

xxxjhxxx

Master Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a normal DVD recorder can record DVB-T2 channels? Does it need to be DVB-T2 ready? Anyone knows where to buy such recorders?

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last correspondence dated 30 Dec 13: an updated Nanostick DVB-T2 and a new hybrid DVB-T/T2/C USB Tuner ("292e" nanostick) currently undergoing testing phase in Germany =:p I have requested an update from Hauppauge so will share with forums if available locally

thank chiu meowmeow ... :s34::s34:

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a normal DVD recorder can record DVB-T2 channels? Does it need to be DVB-T2 ready? Anyone knows where to buy such recorders?

Draco settop box can connect usb hdd to do recording

dvd's capacity isnt really that much to record HD ... dont think any company will bother

a $100 1TB hdd can probably record 150 hours of HD, its more cost effective that way

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

A better solution is to set up a HTPC and install the necessary tuner cards and record the TV programmes as video files. :o

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
to sum up, there are 2 methods to do DVB-T/T2 digital recording - set-top box with PVR function (eg. Draco) or PC Tuner card/usb.

the stb method is very straight forward (suitable for layman), just buy a stb with pvr function + usb hdd... connects them up and u can do timeshift or timer recording. u can record directly in Transport Stream (TS) format, meaning everything over-the-air including audio selections, subtitles, info etc. are recorded into ts file.

pc tuner method is similar, but u need to setup the card/usb and install all drivers/softwares to ur pc... then u can watch tv on ur pc and do timeshift or recording.

one is tv setup and another is pc setup, see which one suits u more.
initially i was thinking of buying dvb-t2 pc tuner too... but due to no supported models then i bought draco stb (+ usb hdd).
the recording is good... u can watch directly from stb or connect hdd to pc and use VLC Player to watch on pc.

xxxjhxxx

Master Member
Reaction score
Draco settop box can connect usb hdd to do recording

dvd's capacity isnt really that much to record HD ... dont think any company will bother

a $100 1TB hdd can probably record 150 hours of HD, its more cost effective that way

A better solution is to set up a HTPC and install the necessary tuner cards and record the TV programmes as video files. :o

Thanks for the suggestions! Maybe that's why HDD recorders are getting phased out..? Not many are around anymore. I got an old panasonic hdd recorder but unfortunately it broke down.. looking at the next option now.

xxxjhxxx

Master Member
Reaction score
to sum up, there are 2 methods to do DVB-T/T2 digital recording - set-top box with PVR function (eg. Draco) or PC Tuner card/usb.

the stb method is very straight forward (suitable for layman), just buy a stb with pvr function + usb hdd... connects them up and u can do timeshift or timer recording. u can record directly in Transport Stream (TS) format, meaning everything over-the-air including audio selections, subtitles, info etc. are recorded into ts file.

pc tuner method is similar, but u need to setup the card/usb and install all drivers/softwares to ur pc... then u can watch tv on ur pc and do timeshift or recording.

one is tv setup and another is pc setup, see which one suits u more.
initially i was thinking of buying dvb-t2 pc tuner too... but due to no supported models then i bought draco stb (+ usb hdd).
the recording is good... u can watch directly from stb or connect hdd to pc and use VLC Player to watch on pc.

Thanks for this.!

How much is the Draco box? Is it good? WHere can I buy?

petetherock

Reaction score
A great thread of sharing about DTV, let's keep it going into the new year, and hope coverage improves.. watched my first FTA program on analogue TV for the first time in months - lousy countdown program..

Will look forward to experiencing DVB T2 in 2014!

Have a good year everyone!

Coolsun9

Reaction score
If your usage is only to obtain FTA channels from the SCV wall outlet, there isn't a case of legitimate/illegitimate I guess. Since it's FTA to start with.
There are many DVB-C boxes selling online.
I have the same set I believe. AC Ryan PVR76120 right the exact model?
The simple indoor antenna CMI. I can't receive anything too with that indoor antenna.
If I connect the set to my HDB MATV point, I can receive all 4 DVB-T programming on UHF38.

Try the HDB MATV wall point 1st if your unit still have it.

Appreciate your advice.
I am not sure whether my HDB wall outlet is a MATV - Master Antenna TV system? It has a sticker stated cable ready point.
Yes, my set is ACR-PV76120 the same model. Anyway, I tried the connection that you suggested. The auto scan found none of the channel. I hope the set is not faulty.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Thanks for this.!

the draco stb has been actively discussed in this thread.
$129 standard price with free indoor antenna (average reception).
available everywhere at popular electrical shops.
it's the one and only official dvb-t2 set-top box as stated in MDA website... so it's guaranteed to work fully in singapore.

Coolsun9

Reaction score
Thanks for this.!

I saw the Draco box on display at Fairprice Xtra, Nex Mall today. The set is selling for $129. Not sure there is available stock though.

Last edited:

Coolsun9

Reaction score
High chance of success if the wall point is still connected to hdb matv. There may not be roof top antenna on this block. If this is the case, then the matv signal will come from neaby high rise block.

Read the spoiler:
Not sure how to check whether my wall outlet is MATV. But I see antenna on the roof top of my HDB block and the sticker on the wall outlet stated cable ready.

I have tried connecting the DVB-T box to the wall socket and scan no channel from it.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Not sure how to check whether my wall outlet is MATV. But I see antenna on the roof top of my HDB block and the sticker on the wall outlet stated cable ready.

I have tried connecting the DVB-T box to the wall socket and scan no channel from it.
If your socket mentioned "cable ready", it might be only connected to StarHub's infrastructure network. :)

leongws

Master Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony LED which is few years old and it support only dvb-t. Tried connecting cable to HDB MATV but unable to get any channels. Thinking that the MATV is 'not working', I plug out the cable connecting to MATV point and tried connecting the cable using a mini antenna(taken from my damage USB Hauppauge winfast tv tuner). Surprise it work and could receive all the 4 channels (dvb-t) Ch8,Ch5, CNA and HD5 and no signal loss issue when viewing.

With the above testing, can i say i should be able to receive all dvb-T2 channels if i were to get the Draco stb?

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony LED which is few years old and it support only dvb-t. Tried connecting cable to HDB MATV but unable to get any channels. Thinking that the MATV is 'not working', I plug out the cable connecting to MATV point and tried connecting the cable using a mini antenna(taken from my damage USB Hauppauge winfast tv tuner). Surprise it work and could receive all the 4 channels (dvb-t) Ch8,Ch5, CNA and HD5 and no signal loss issue when viewing.

With the above testing, can i say i should be able to receive all dvb-T2 channels if i were to get the Draco stb?

a good chance that you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.