Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Just received this set today. It was quite easy to setup. Get all the 7 S'pore channels. Try to scan for indonesia channels. Cannot get anything.

Then 1 hour later, the remote failed while scanning the EPG. Hopefully they can sent a replacement .
can take some photos and post your results either here or on the dvb-t2 settings thread? wanna see some of the results. :)

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
oic,do Indonesia hd dvbt2 channels transmit in dolby sound like in Singapore?

actually only 5(HD) got dolby surround audio... the other channels only stereo (AAC) audio.
for DVB-T, HD5 uses Dolby D.
for DVB-T2, 5(HD) uses Dolby D+.
after googling, found that dolby digital plus can actually support surround 7.1.

pjs

Reaction score
Dunno leh? Now it sounds like SingTel being "the 1st pay TV operator to launch the HD channels" is lost. Hahaha

When you posted the link below it was copied and posted on Starhub Facebook, so they had to do something.:D

FYI guys, SingTel mioTV will launch the MediaCorp HD channels 1st.

So when will be StarHub's turn?

SingTel mio TV to launch free-to-air channels in HD | The Straits Times Communities

SingTel mio TV has announced that theywill be the first pay TV service in Singapore to launch free-to-air channels - Channel 8, Suria and Vasantham in HD format.

Singtel mio TV customers will be able to enjoy these channels in HD from Jan 24, 2014 through their SingTel mio TV set-top boxes.

The channels will be renamed Channel 8 (HD), Suria (HD) and Vasantham (HD) and will be available in addition to HD 5, which is currently available to our customers.

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
When you posted the link below it was copied and posted on Starhub Facebook, so they had to do something.:D

Well. That makes sense hahaha.

Now StarHub channel 154 is transmitting Channel 8 HD but no audio.

sunsetbay

Reaction score
looks like HD downscaled to SD. same quality as ch103... just the 8 logo got HD words.
the soft subs are truncated... same as draco stb. seems like the subtitles issue is caused by mediacorp's source.

depends which show u watching~ the 9pm show, 8HD looks much better than 8SD~

Ch154- 8HD

Ch103 - 8SD

click to see full res on both pics~

singpal

Reaction score
most DVB-T tv should be able to decode AAC audio (since DVB-T also using same audio codec)... as for dolby support, u will need to check the tv spec.

then i guess tv with media player function will be able to decode HDMI raw :)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
i re-tested my draco and confirmed that my draco got sound for ALL. no mute streams.
5(HD) DVB-T2 got 3 audio streams: Sound 1 (Dolby D+), eng (AAC), Sound 3 (AAC).
Hi Andy Leo,

Thank you for the time to do the verification. Since your confirmation I have done a check on my replacement Draco and indeed the 3 audio streams all carry audio which can be heard through my tv set, depending on my choice.

My comments about the possibility of a dummy audio stream was based on my observation using the earlier Draco bought on 19 Dec 2013. The replacement has a newer firmware dated 24 Dec 2013. The 1 to 1 exchange after 1 month came about because of other eccentric behaviour and not because of no audio issue.

VLC is supposed to be the king of media player. Now have to find out why it failed to play the second audio stream, which appears to be identical to the first stream, except that there is no channel identification (see below pic)
7khta.jpg

u can goto Settings and set HDMI/Digital Audio Output: <PCM> or <BS Out>.

PCM - this means the draco stb will decode the audio and send to tv. since draco carries MDA's stereo-only label, so it can only support stereo audio. however, i tested that all 3 audio tracks can be decoded as stereo (no dolby), my tv got sound for all and show as "stereo".

BS Out - this means the draco stb will output raw audio (without decoding) to tv and let tv decode the audio. my sony bravia tv is able to decode all Dolby and AAC. tv will show "Dolby" or "Stereo" respectively.
Not sure if it is because of new firmware, my choice of digital audio out is from Menu>System Setup> TV System> then either <LPCM out> or <BS out>. There is no option for HDMI.

There is a dedicated button "Audio" on the remote which I think allows control of the HDMI audio out to any one of the 3 streams. I used this to test the 3 audio streams.

because of this "BS Out" option, i think MDA has put the wrong label. draco stb should be Surround-Ready.
We talked about this before. This has to do with licensing/royalty. To market the stb as certified surround ready, Skycom would have to pay additional royalty. This will increase the cost. As far as I can tell, Skycom is not a licensed Dolby Manufacturer (Licensed Dolby Manufacturers). Throughout Draco's specs and packaging box, there is no indication of Dolby® technologies which would entail paying licensing fees.

Just my views.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
VLC is supposed to be the king of media player. Now have to find out why it failed to play the second audio stream, which appears to be identical to the first stream, except that there is no channel identification (see below pic)

Not sure if it is because of new firmware, my choice of digital audio out is from Menu>System Setup> TV System> then either <LPCM out> or <BS out>. There is no option for HDMI.

last time i played recorded 5(HD) my VLC player can play all audio too.
the draco stb menu u mentioned is correct... i typed my msg based on my memory... not following exactly the ui.
as for licensing, not our problem, consumers don't care... just want to know if the stb is really surround-ready or totally cannot support surround. so mda's label is quite misleading.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
as for licensing, not our problem, consumers don't care... just want to know if the stb is really surround-ready or totally cannot support surround. so mda's label is quite misleading.
Depending on how one look at it. To some (like me) it may be a pleasant surprise.

WakaTech

Reaction score
idk why starhub don't wana merge all into same number just like their hd channel. so we no need to have the trouble of tuning in to a diff channel for HD of ch 8 :(

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
idk why starhub don't wana merge all into same number just like their hd channel. so we no need to have the trouble of tuning in to a diff channel for HD of ch 8 :(
SingTel just replace the current SD channels to the new HD channels without assigning a new channel number, which i think is good! :)

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score

MDA regulation states that pay TV operators must show both SD and HD channels together.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SingTel just replace the current SD channels to the new HD channels without assigning a new channel number, which i think is good! :)

Just switch on to 154 and look normal but no subtitles enable yet. Mediacorp has yet to enable it. No Tv guide too.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
They assigned the SD channels to another channel. You can see they placed Channel 5 SD on channel 9.
But subscribers has already been used to switching to Ch03, etc. on mio TV and now if they switched to it, they get redirected to the HD variant of the channel. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.