Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
But subscribers has already been used to switching to Ch03, etc. on mio TV and now if they switched to it, they get redirected to the HD variant of the channel. :)

Yes it's true, but for StarHub TV subscribers there are still some subscribers who are still using SD boxes, whereas a single mioTV box can support both SD and HD transmission, hence StarHub pushing the HD channels to 110+ and above.

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
Just switch on to 154 and look normal but no subtitles enable yet. Mediacorp has yet to enable it. No Tv guide too.

Actually have subtitles already. You have to switch to the channel during primetime where shows have Eng/Chi subtitles.

I believe they are showing Good Morning Singapore now hence no subtitles.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually have subtitles already. You have to switch to the channel during primetime where shows have Eng/Chi subtitles.

I believe they are showing Good Morning Singapore now hence no subtitles.

I see. It meant not every programme got subtitle. Actually look like no different from SD, my TV is FHD. Honestly content is so so only, quite boring programme.

Last edited:

chuppachop

Reaction score
Just switch on to 154 and look normal but no subtitles enable yet. Mediacorp has yet to enable it. No Tv guide too.

So looks like ST is still the 1st.....SH, as always only react to competition, 2 words to descibe SH - very complacent.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well what can you expect from MediaCorp you know :s13::s13::s13:

Ya or else no more starhub. CNY eve count down I never watch mediacorp 8 and watch TVBJ. HK actress nicer looking and some quite cute.

Last edited:

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Starhub do have the HD water mark. Look at image no different in term of clearness.

depends which show~ most of shows are just upscale, the news & those recent mediacorp productions do look significant more detail~ :s22:

ch154~

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
VLC is supposed to be the king of media player. Now have to find out why it failed to play the second audio stream, which appears to be identical to the first stream, except that there is no channel identification (see below pic)
7khta.jpg

Update: VLC linux can play the second audio stream. All my Windows 7 PCs and XP netbook, with different version of VLC, cannot play the second audio stream

jayou8

Reaction score
Btw I received this tuner liao.

I'm pleased to report that it works in receiving the Singapore channels. Just one quirk is that for HD channels, the audio do not automatically come on, but that's because somehow, the audio is not under the default (English) option, so we have to manually select to the alternative audio channel when we tune into a HD channel.

Mine arrived yesterday as well. Same issues on the Audio. Very irritating leh. Hopefully can update firmware in the future or our HD signal change the audio signal to be consistent with their SD channels

However no complains considering the price I paid :)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
depends which show~ most of shows are just upscale, the news & those recent mediacorp productions do look significant more detail~ :s22:

ch154~

I managed to do a recording of the drama 双子星, and put the screenshot here:

S1paSos.jpg

It seems that 双子星 has HD lor.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
I see, not true HD so it is so so only.

it seems like those using dvb-c tuners are getting better quality for ch154.
in sync with other starhub users as of yesterday night, my ch154 (hubstation hd) is same quality as ch103 (obviously SD quality only).
on my draco stb 8(HD) is very much clearer, even tv commercials also clearer.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Yes it's true, but for StarHub TV subscribers there are still some subscribers who are still using SD boxes, whereas a single mioTV box can support both SD and HD transmission, hence StarHub pushing the HD channels to 110+ and above.

starhub has changed the hd numbering method recently for most overseas channels - one channel number for either SD/HD. the system will auto choose whether to let u watch sd or hd version based on ur subscription/stb.
so if u r eligible to watch HD version, there is no way for u to watch sd version, unless during transition period where there are some redundant channel numbers.
we'll see if ch103 will be converted to SD/HD auto mode or not after release.

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
starhub has changed the hd numbering method recently for most overseas channels - one channel number for either SD/HD. the system will auto choose whether to let u watch sd or hd version based on ur subscription/stb.
so if u r eligible to watch HD version, there is no way for u to watch sd version, unless during transition period where there are some redundant channel numbers.
we'll see if ch103 will be converted to SD/HD auto mode or not after release.

103 will not be converted because I say before, MDA requires all pay TV operators to show both SD and HD versions of MediaCorp channels.

Therefore 8 HD will stay at Channel 154

LxIxVxE

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
SH Channel 8 HD Test Channel (recorded by tv tuner)
so far noticed the overall bitrate range from 9Mbps to 11Mbps
dvbc1_zps7c2415f7.jpg~original

Mediacorp T2 Channel 8 HD (recorded by T2 pc tv tuner, not stb)
noticed the bitrate seems to be fixed at abt 9Mbps
dvbt2vlc_zps915b5c4d.jpg~original

Last edited:

i-Movies

Reaction score
103 will not be converted because I say before, MDA requires all pay TV operators to show both SD and HD versions of MediaCorp channels.

Therefore 8 HD will stay at Channel 154

I have one HD set-top box and one SD set-top box in my home, some starhub channels carry both SD and HD program, depending on what Set-top box is being used, I receive SD or HD quality accordingly, like with channel 866, I have HD living room, and SD in my bed room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.