HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Like Tree190Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #1081

For those interested to know.

Getmecom HD9 DVB-T2 set top box uses MSB1236C demodulator chip.

Pictures:
MSB1236C demodulator chip
MSD7816 board
hi, your getmecom HD9 when watching like HD5 program with 3 audio channels, all channels have sound or just one of the channel? is it able to decode the dolby channel?
Old 22-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #1082

This stb works but doesn't come with antenna.
I have some problem with the audio, need to set it every time I tune to HD channel, not sure why thou.
which stb did u buy?
Old 22-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #1083
Arch-Supremacy Member

Like that might as well buy a China made HD box now. From what I know, Starhub HD box cost about $2+ per month additional compared to the old non HD box.
For Starhub TV, we have to use original HD set top box at $6/mth. It is illegal to sell/ use China made set top box to receive the Starhub pay TV channels. In 2013 a set top box seller was jailed for selling illegal set top box. Copy right act ...

Last edited by Henry Ng; 22-01-2014 at 08:07 AM..
Old 22-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #1084

Not what???????means samsung also have? What model?
This question at least I can contribute as I'm searching it yesterday.

http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/Digital...oReceiver.aspx
http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/Digital...RReceiver.aspx

I think the link in the first page has some characters removed, thus, not working.
Old 22-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #1085

For Starhub TV, we have to use original HD set top box at $6/mth. It is illegal to sell/ use China made set top box to receive the Starhub pay TV channels. In 2013 a set top box seller was jailed for selling illegal set top box. Copy right act ...
It is not true. Using DVB-C tuner to watch FTA channels does not break the law. Don't mix up with those illegal box. They were used to watch paid channels.
mrsun18 likes this.
Old 22-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #1086
Master Member

Which of these combination will work?
antenna -> dvb-t2 tv

MATV point -> dvb-t2 tv
MATV point -> set top box -> antenna (needed?) -> dvb-t tv.
Some matv points work and some don't. For explanation, please read my post #227 in this thread.

SCV point -> set top box -> antenna (needed?) -> dvb-t tv
SCV point -> set top box -> antenna (needed?) -> dvb-t2 tv
SCV point -> receiver(??) -> dvb-t2 tv
This question has been addressed.

I intend to get LG 42LN570T (dvb-t2)
But if the setup is as cumbersome as a dvb-t tv, was wondering if getting a 42LN5100 (dvb-t) and use the saving to get a receiver/settop box make sense?

Greatly appreciate some advice.
The cost of a local stb (Draco) is $119 ~ $129. The cost of 'compatible' set if you buy from overseas may cost $40 ~ $60 with no assured result. If you buy dvb-t tv plus a stb box, you will need two separate antenna inputs. You have an extra box on your tv console and have two remote controls - one for tv and one for stb. Work out your sum accordingly.
Old 22-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #1087
Arch-Supremacy Member

You will be able to receive the signals these ways:

Antenna -> dvb-t2 tv
MATV point -> dvb-t2 tv
MATV point -> dvb-t2 set top box -> any tv

Miotv set top box -> any tv (soon)
SCV point -> Starhub cabletv set top box -> any tv (soon)
On the SCV portion, it's

SCV point -> Starhub cabletv HD set top box -> any tv (soon) because the normal non HD box which many people are using cannot receive HD signals .
Old 22-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #1088
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not that kind of box. It's more like if you have more than 1 TV at home not connected to the Starhub box and you just want FTA HD channels.
Old 22-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #1089
Arch-Supremacy Member

This stb works but doesn't come with antenna.
I have some problem with the audio, need to set it every time I tune to HD channel, not sure why thou.
You mean this?
Aliexpress.com : Buy HD 1080P DVB T tuner+ google tv box android 4.0 network media player ARM Cortex A9 WiFi HDMI Internet DDR III 512M 4GB+Flash+3D from Reliable box mp3 player suppliers on SinHo Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

BTW, what antenna you using?
Old 22-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #1090

You will be able to receive the signals these ways:

Antenna -> dvb-t2 tv
MATV point -> dvb-t2 tv
MATV point -> dvb-t2 set top box -> any tv

Miotv set top box -> any tv (soon)
SCV point -> Starhub cabletv set top box -> any tv (soon)
Thanks for the info.

Can advise on how the receiver posted in the post above sits in the connection link?

I'm looking for something like
wall point (most likely scv-point) -> a device -> dvb-t2 tv

Initially, my thinking is, for any dvb-t2 tv, should be ideal case like
MATV -> dvb-t2 tv
So, I don't have to spend extra, but I think I'm just being naive about it.

The device would preferably be just a dumb signal converter and do not need any control like channel switching such that I have to meddle with the device remote and tv remote.
Is there such a thing?

I have read the signal strength from antenna is kind of unpredictable, thus, I'm a little hesitant on OTA signal with my area having to hang the wire all over the place to get a acceptable fm radio signal.
Or, maybe my perception is outdated.

Would greatly appreciate what are the possible approach to setup a reliable reception.

Added:
Thanks guys, quite a few replies while I'm typing this out.
Digesting them now ....

Last edited by lowhm; 22-01-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Old 22-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #1091

On the SCV portion, it's

SCV point -> Starhub cabletv HD set top box -> any tv (soon) because the normal non HD box which many people are using cannot receive HD signals .
corrected the error. thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by ezowulf; 22-01-2014 at 12:04 PM..
Old 22-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #1092

Cani just ask...now stathub is alrdy broadcasting in dvb-c le right...the signals that come through the starhub point
Old 22-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #1093

Some matv points work and some don't. For explanation, please read my post #227 in this thread.

This question has been addressed.

The cost of a local stb (Draco) is $119 ~ $129. The cost of 'compatible' set if you buy from overseas may cost $40 ~ $60 with no assured result. If you buy dvb-t tv plus a stb box, you will need two separate antenna inputs. You have an extra box on your tv console and have two remote controls - one for tv and one for stb. Work out your sum accordingly.

Sorry, can I know why do I need two separate antenna inputs?

I thought it will be
wall point -> stb -> tv input

Is this right?

Another question is how reliable are those indoor antenna.
I read and it's mentioned that it really depends on location.
Old 22-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #1094
Banned

Just a heads up.

I saw 3 empty channels created on StarHub STB (Channel 116, 154 and 156 respectively). There is no HD logo but the audio description were displayed as Malay, Chinese and Tamil respectively. Mmm I wonder what is it...

FYI. Previously Channel 116 was 8-on-demand from MediaCorp, which just ceased transmission recently.
Old 22-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #1095
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just a heads up.

I saw 3 empty channels created on StarHub STB (Channel 116, 154 and 156 respectively). There is no HD logo but the audio description were displayed as Malay, Chinese and Tamil respectively. Mmm I wonder what is it...

FYI. Previously Channel 116 was 8-on-demand from MediaCorp, which just ceased transmission recently.
starhub given grants to produce free to air prog
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.