www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   The House of Displays (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/)
-   -   Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated] (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/digital-tv-dvb-t2-singapore-%5Bconsolidated%5D-4486989.html)

petetherock 05-12-2013 04:45 PM

Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Now that Digital TV DVB 2 T2 is really here, I am opening up this thread for all discussions, tips and info related to this.

Previous discussion on DVB T2 can be found here:

Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

petetherock 05-12-2013 04:46 PM

FAQ:

MediaCorp Digital TV

Setup screen shots:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/82037083-post320.html

What you need to get DVB - T2

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/87...-post2748.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrOwnTeddy (Post 87930058)
1)
YOU CANNOT CONNECT YOUR DVB-T2 CARD TO YOUR SCV POINT AND EXPECT TO RECEIVE DVB-T2 SIGNALS!

SCV Point looks like this:
http://www.teambuildservices.com/Cat...trical/scv.jpg

MATV Point looks like this:
http://www.blakeglow.com/tv%20and%20...ics/psw122.gif

A lot of the MATV points got disabled when SCV rolled out cabling in Singapore over 20 years ago. HDB is also no longer maintaining the MATV points so your best bet is still using a DIY antenna.

2) DVB-T2 signals are not available islandwide now and are only available at certain places. Refer to this map:
http://www17.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv/img/rollout_map.jpg

3) The other 2 ways you can receive DVB-T2 channels are:
- Subscribe to Singtel MiOTV
- Subscribe to Starhub Cable TV
(ie, PAY MONEY)

petetherock 05-12-2013 04:46 PM

Equipment you will need:

Use stb without the logo at your own risk.

• a built in tuner in the latest TVs as listed in

http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/Digital...oReceiver.aspx or
http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/Digital...RReceiver.aspx.

This is because some of the latest tvs still do not have the t2 requirements.

Add:

And an Antenna

- either DIY

or

- Indoor

My suggestion here is not comprehensive to cover the situations for landed properties and condos. These are covered by the MediaCorp FAQ. Please decide how you want to deal with this.

petetherock 05-12-2013 04:47 PM

UHF27 - 522MHz

Channel U(SD) - live
Channel News Asia (SD) - live
okto (SD) - live

UHF29 - 538MHz

Suria (HD) - live
Channel 5 (HD) - live

UHF31 - 554MHz

Channel 8 (HD) - live
Vasantham (HD) - live

petetherock 05-12-2013 04:49 PM

For those who have managed to tune in, please check in too.

petetherock 05-12-2013 04:50 PM

Please post your antenna models here and what equipment you have bought / constructed to receive the signals.

Some useful info on antenna:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/82352103-post559.html

petetherock 05-12-2013 04:51 PM

Remember the same issues still apply until the signal is stronger:

Location, location, location.

petetherock 05-12-2013 04:53 PM

Kindly post any screenshots of your successful reception here too.

petetherock 05-12-2013 04:54 PM

Some past efforts at antenna construction:

www.hardwarezone.com.sg - View Single Post - HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

tuckloong 05-12-2013 05:22 PM

Ya come in support :) hope to see affordable new stb soon :)

pjs 05-12-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuckloong (Post 81697215)
Ya come in support :) hope to see affordable new stb soon :)

In Indonesia its <400k rp ie <$40.
Link: Pusat Distribusi & Retail Set Top Box TV Digital Indonesia.
In sg if 'affordable" price <$80 (2 x above) , I will be surprised.
Wiil have usual excuse of small market, high rental etc.

yiyiday 05-12-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjs (Post 81697577)
In Indonesia its <400k rp ie <$40.
Link: Pusat Distribusi & Retail Set Top Box TV Digital Indonesia.
In sg if 'affordable" price <$80 (2 x above) , I will be surprised.
Wiil have usual excuse of small market, high rental etc.

Hi guys.. I think I could provide the STD @SGD80 but pre-oder is needed. I will provide the model that I have tested and proved it is working but I need minimum quantity of 200 sets in order to get it from my supplier, your support is required. Interested person please visit my facebook "yiyiday" for the details, I will keep updating if you need more information.

lax 05-12-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petetherock (Post 81696309)
UHF27 - 522MHz

Channel U(SD) - live
Channel News Asia (SD) - live
okto (SD) - live

UHF29 - 538MHz

Suria (HD) - live
Channel 5 (HD) - live

UHF31 - 554MHz

Channel 8 (HD) - live
Vasantham (HD) - live

So are you saying that DVB-T2 over the air broadcast is live and anyone with DVB-T2 TV or receiver will be able to receive these channels. I have been searching the net and the only info is that Singapore will be switching to DVB-T2 come December 2013 but NEVER say what date the switch over will begin and what equipment to buy and where to buy or what sort of TV to get though I have seen quite a few TVs with the sticker at Harvey Norman, Best and even Courts.

There is little or almost no info what so ever regarding DVB-T2 adoption in Singapore. Come on mediacorpse you can do better than this, like that how you expect people to buy or acquire the correct stuff, what tikum tikum is it Nabei.

I am currently tuning onto DVB-T so I want to know when the switch over will begin lest I find myself suddenly can't watch HD5 or any channel on DVB-T2 standard. Am holding my horses for now on buy a new TV, good reason and excuse to get a new 50 - 55" smart TV "Due to Govt and Mediacorpse" fault so need a new TV :D

MoneyFace =p 05-12-2013 06:42 PM

Any screenshot of all mediacorp HD channels with their new logo?

AnDyLe0 05-12-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyFace =p (Post 81699077)
Any screenshot of all mediacorp HD channels with their new logo?

yeah... i have been waiting since the old thread... still no one posts.
preferably should screencap widescreen programmes with subtitles, eg. ch8 weekdays dramas and variety shows.

mrsun18 05-12-2013 10:21 PM

My comments:
Quote:

Originally Posted by petetherock (Post 81696299)
Equipment you will need:

- a Set top box from Starhub / MIO

Or

ok.

Quote:

- a set top digital TV tuner, which can be a local box or a DIY antenna job.

Or
Suggest this be amended to read as

- a set top box (stb) or digital tv tuner as listed in http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/Digital...oReceiver.aspx for assured compatibiliy.

Use stb without the logo at your own risk.

The antenna is a separate item that is needed on top of the stb - suggest this be dealt with later as shown below.

Quote:

- a built in tuner in the latest TVs
Suggest this be amended as

a built in tuner in the latest TVs as listed in
http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/Digital...oReceiver.aspx or
http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/Digital...RReceiver.aspx.

This is because some of the latest tvs still do not have the t2 requirements.

Add:

And an Antenna

- either DIY

or

- Indoor

My suggestion here is not comprehensive to cover the situations for landed properties and condos. These are covered by the MediaCorp FAQ. Please decide how you want to deal with this.

mrsun18 05-12-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yiyiday (Post 81698010)
Hi guys.. I think I could provide the STD @SGD80 but pre-oder is needed. I will provide the model that I have tested and proved it is working but I need minimum quantity of 200 sets in order to get it from my supplier, your support is required. Interested person please visit my facebook "yiyiday" for the details, I will keep updating if you need more information.

Market competition works. From $200, now $80:s22:.

congster2 05-12-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnDyLe0 (Post 81701510)
yeah... i have been waiting since the old thread... still no one posts.
preferably should screencap widescreen programmes with subtitles, eg. ch8 weekdays dramas and variety shows.

I posted hd8 b4 leh.

petetherock 05-12-2013 10:34 PM

@ mrsun18
Info update, thanks.

When more members discover new features, please add the info here, so others can learn and enjoy this development.

I have reserved the first few posts for this specifically.

Will start a new antenna / reception thread for that kind of info.

Kiwi8 05-12-2013 11:44 PM

*bookmarked*

oric1 06-12-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petetherock (Post 81696390)
Please post your antenna models here and what equipment you have bought / constructed to receive the signals.

I've a Samsung Smart TV (2013 model) which has built-in DVB-T2 / C DTV Tuner.

My TV is currently plugged into the HDB SCV wall socket. I did not subscribe to Starhub and do not have any set-top-box.

I was wondering if anyone is having the same setup as me and was able to watch HD5 & HD8. If yes, what kind of antenna (brand/model) are you using. Can please share? Thanks :)

sunnycrowe 06-12-2013 08:42 AM

Meaning to say, even with a dvbt2 tv, i stil got to buy a indoor antenna??

Every salesmen I asked, all say no need antenna

chakuman 06-12-2013 08:50 AM

Don't think will have any MediaCorp HD logos during the test run of the signals. All is upscaled.

yiyiday 06-12-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsun18 (Post 81704217)
Market competition works. From $200, now $80:s22:.

you meant this one is it??

[QUOTE=tuckloong;81639416]
View Post yiyiday wrote:

wow how much for one?

I saw someone selling this device for SGD250. front panel is different but the backside is exactly the same with what i have. //makantenna_com/id5_html
please replace _ with .

i can make it 200 depends on demand...:s13:

that's why i said if someone willing to buy this stb for sgd250 (big blood sucker!!), then i can make it 200 lor...:s22:

after i compare with internet price and contact the supplier, i finallized the price at sgd80.. whoever want to approach other parties is ok one mah... this std will come with one year warranty.

anyway this is my first time to sell stuff, it is my interest on this product and found it working so just want to share among you. Also i think i already spoiled other singapore retailer market (droco also another blood sucker).. :eek::eek:

if anyone found good sources and keen to sell similiar product with cheaper price, i will get one for my neighbour. Nothing gonna to happend if i cannot get minimum order of 200 sets.

mrsun18 06-12-2013 10:14 AM

@yiyiday

Yes, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on which side of the fence you are sitting on, these are facts of life doing business. No hard feeling.

Cheers.

mrsun18 06-12-2013 10:17 AM

Price of Set Top Box Dropped To USD 25

8 Oct 2013

- A multitude of DVB-T2 set-top boxes and integrated TV receivers are now available and prices have already dropped to around 25 USD. The price difference between comparable DVB-T and T2 integrated TV sets is already negligible.

Source: Standards - DVB

mrsun18 06-12-2013 11:04 AM

DVB-T2 Reception in Singapore

The information here is complementary to post #2, the FAQ provided by MediaCorp

Quote:

Now I see a sudden burst of interest in the new transmission format.

For those using hdb wall outlets, and private properties (landed or older condos) with own antennae, if your tv sets can receive on analogue

U (chan28)
Octo (chan 30)
CNA (chan 32)

there is a high probability that you can receive the new T2 channels if your tv sets are T2 ready.

However, for some hdb blocks, these stated channels may have been changed to another channels (just like scv channels) because of technical limitation - if this is the case then there may be no reception.

The matv in my condo caters to the 3 channels stated above plus tv3 (chan 26). I could received T test transmission on chan 29 previously. I am confident that my condo can receive all the new 3 channels (yet to be verified).

Edit: Confirmed my condo matv can receive all 4 dvb t2 channels (27, 29, 31 and 33). This is on top of chan 38 (dvb t) which was catered for in my condo matv.

SilveR1_09 06-12-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oric1 (Post 81710218)
I've a Samsung Smart TV (2013 model) which has built-in DVB-T2 / C DTV Tuner.

My TV is currently plugged into the HDB SCV wall socket. I did not subscribe to Starhub and do not have any set-top-box.

I was wondering if anyone is having the same setup as me and was able to watch HD5 & HD8. If yes, what kind of antenna (brand/model) are you using. Can please share? Thanks :)

I've mentioned this in the other thread that is closed now. Anyway here goes:

The SCV wall socket carries 2 types of signals as it is now.
  1. Analog signal:
    Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1, SuperSports Arena, StarHub Preview & StarHub Test
    - Viewable with TVs that has analog tuner
  2. Digital DVB-C signal:
    Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV
    - (a) Unencrypted: MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels + HD5 (viewable with TVs that has a DVB-C tuner)
    - (b) Encrypted: StarHub's Pay TV channels (viewable with StarHub's DVB-C set top box)

StarHub's only having HD5 broadcasting in HD for the 7 FTA channels thru their DVB-C signals.
An earlier post, there's mention of MDA noting that carriage of HD8, Suria HD & Vasantham HD for StarHub & SingTel on their DVB-C & IPTV system respectively, will be at a later date as it needs to be tested.

Your situation, with your TV plugged to the SCV wall socket as it is, you should be able to get #1 & #2(a).

If you would like to receive the DVB-T2 signals, you would need to connect to the HDB rooftop MATV (if ur block has one), or you would need to buy an antenna or DIY one yourself. Again, like @petetherock mention, location, location location.

mrsun18 06-12-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnycrowe (Post 81710478)
Meaning to say, even with a dvbt2 tv, i stil got to buy a indoor antenna??

Every salesmen I asked, all say no need antenna

The salesmen probably didn't give you the complete picture. Please read #27 which I have just posted.

Edit: #28 too.

chakuman 06-12-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilveR1_09 (Post 81713649)

1. Analog signal: Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1 & SuperSport Arena
  2. Digital DVB-C signal: Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV
    - (a) Unencrypted: MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels + HD5 (viewable with TVs that has a DVB-C tuner)
    - (b) Encrypted: StarHub's Pay TV channels (viewable with StarHub's DVB-C set top box)

StarHub's only having HD5 broadcasting in HD for the 7 FTA channels thru their DVB-C signals.
An earlier post, there's mention of MDA noting that carriage of HD8, Suria HD & Vasantham HD for StarHub & SingTel on their DVB-C & IPTV system respectively, will be at a later date as it needs to be tested.

Your situation, with your TV plugged to the SCV wall socket as it is, you should be able to get #1 & #2(a).

If you would like to receive the DVB-T2 signals, you would need to connect to the HDB rooftop MATV (if ur block has one), or you would need to buy an antenna or DIY one yourself. Again, like @petetherock mention, location, location location.

SuperSports Arena from StarHub is also now unencrypted.

sunsetbay 06-12-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

1. Analog signal: Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1 & SuperSport Arena
  2. Digital DVB-C signal: Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV

btw, there's another 4 un-encrypted HD channels from DVB-C on 434 & 458Mhz~ one sport, H2, Lifetime HD & Nat'l Geo HD~ not sure if ts limited period time, will continue to monitor~ another free non-HD is Karaoke channel which is pretty much crap~ :s22:

SilveR1_09 06-12-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chakuman (Post 81714646)
SuperSports Arena from StarHub is also now unencrypted.

Yup, I included it. Part of #1.
Carried thru the cable as analog signal on VHF, 76.25MHz.

Anyone can verify it's receivable on DVB-C as well?
(Not thru StarHub set top box, that one confirm can. LOL!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsetbay (Post 81715249)
btw, there's another 4 un-encrypted HD channels from DVB-C on 434 & 458Mhz~ one sport, H2, Lifetime HD & Nat'l Geo HD~ not sure if ts limited period time, will continue to monitor~ another free non-HD is Karaoke channel which is pretty much crap~ :s22:

Ah, 'one sport', is that sport, SuperSports Arena?
Thanks for the update for the other DVB-C unencrypted channels.
Yeah, might be limited time period.

oric1 06-12-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

1. Analog signal:
    Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1, SuperSports Arena, StarHub Preview & StarHub Test
  2. Digital DVB-C signal:
    Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV

Thanks SilveR.

Since my TV has DVB-T2 / C, I was able to get #1 but not the HD5 on #2(a) :( I tested between 9pm to 11pm.

SilveR1_09 06-12-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oric1 (Post 81717253)
Thanks SilveR.

Since my TV has DVB-T2 / C, I was able to get #1 but not the HD5 on #2(a) :( I tested between 9pm to 11pm.

Kiwi8 mentioned that HD5 on DVB-C has raw frequency of 370000KHz.
Perhaps you could try manual tune your digital tuner to that frequency and see if HD5 comes alive.

Just a quick question, are you connecting direct to the TV from the SCV socket? Or using a splitter in between?

oric1 06-12-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilveR1_09 (Post 81717492)
Kiwi8 mentioned that HD5 on DVB-C has raw frequency of 370000KHz.
Perhaps you could try manual tune your digital tuner to that frequency and see if HD5 comes alive.

Ok, will try again tonight. Thanks!

proddy 06-12-2013 02:12 PM

snap from my my old USB tuner with EyeTV
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...TVSnapshot.jpg

can i still get T2 signal?
will i still enjoy T1 signal in future?

chakuman 06-12-2013 02:43 PM

MediaCorp Ch5 HD has changed. Other than the logo, their subtitles and logo have also gone HD regardless the program itself is upscaled or not.

somewhat 06-12-2013 05:19 PM

if the starhub is going to carry the FTA channels in unencrypted DVB-C signal, isn't it better for those who stay in HDB to buy a DVB-C tuner and plug it into starhub cable point ?

sunsetbay 06-12-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilveR1_09 (Post 81715564)

Ah, 'one sport', is that sport, SuperSports Arena?
Thanks for the update for the other DVB-C unencrypted channels.
Yeah, might be limited time period.

its SportsHD~ the four free HD channels did not display its name on the listing unlike other channels~ :s22:

edwinz 06-12-2013 09:53 PM

http://i42.tinypic.com/1180iev.jpg
Bought this to try... Sounds seems louder... Will do a better review later.. The owner of the hand is watching "totoro" right now...

mingfreakrsx 06-12-2013 10:00 PM

FM / TV point

Hi may I ask the pros' here whether the TV/FM TV Antenna point(not those StarHub SCV point) can receive DVB-T2 signals directly by connecting coaxial cable to TV? TV connected to this point could watch SG, MY and IND channel shows too. Would like to know more! :-D

merc 06-12-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwinz (Post 81728362)
http://i42.tinypic.com/1180iev.jpg
Bought this to try... Sounds seems louder... Will do a better review later.. The owner of the hand is watching "totoro" right now...

Planning to get this for my LG LA623T also. Awaiting for your review.

edwinz 06-12-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mingfreakrsx (Post 81728529)
Hi may I ask the pros' here whether the TV/FM TV Antenna point(not those StarHub SCV point) can receive DVB-T2 signals directly by connecting coaxial cable to TV? TV connected to this point could watch SG, MY and IND channel shows too. Would like to know more! :-D

Very dependent on what your town council/renovator did for your connections. Is the box converted to Svc point. If not, if the main outside connected to Svc or still connected to main antenna. Actually, any "air" antenna can receive. Just need a dvb-T2 decoder

edwinz 06-12-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merc (Post 81728879)
Planning to get this for my LG LA623T also. Awaiting for your review.

Visually I feel no diff from connecting to my window grill, however I feel there is surround sound now. My window grill fix also will be unstable from time to time.

Not bad.. But cost me $60.

mingfreakrsx 06-12-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwinz (Post 81728954)
Very dependent on what your town council/renovator did for your connections. Is the box converted to Svc point. If not, if the main outside connected to Svc or still connected to main antenna. Actually, any "air" antenna can receive. Just need a dvb-T2 decoder

It hasn't converted to SCV point but I believe its connected to the HDB block main antenna. But my living room and my parent's room has the StarHub SCV point(connected to main outside). The FM/TV point can receive all Malaysia terrestrial television channels and Indonesia RCTI and SCTV. Would like to post a pic of the point but cant since I just joined:(

merc 06-12-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwinz (Post 81729014)
Visually I feel no diff from connecting to my window grill, however I feel there is surround sound now. My window grill fix also will be unstable from time to time.

Not bad.. But cost me $60.

Think will get one tomorrow, as this is the only one in the market now that have DVB-T2.

:s13::s13::s13:

edwinz 06-12-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mingfreakrsx (Post 81729140)
It hasn't converted to SCV point but I believe its connected to the HDB block main antenna. But my living room and my parent's room has the StarHub SCV point(connected to main outside). The FM/TV point can receive all Malaysia terrestrial television channels and Indonesia RCTI and SCTV. Would like to post a pic of the point but cant since I just joined:(

Then the only way to know is to get a dvb t2 tv or decoder. The Malaysian/Indonesian channels are a positive indicator to me...

edwinz 06-12-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merc (Post 81730021)
Think will get one tomorrow, as this is the only one in the market now that have DVB-T2.

:s13::s13::s13:

Go for it!

mrsun18 06-12-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mingfreakrsx (Post 81729140)

Answers in posts #2 and #27.

If still need to post pic, just show the url of your pic.

oric1 07-12-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

merc wrote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwinz (Post 81730664)
Go for it!

Since my TV already have built-in DVB-T2 / C tuner. Should I get this? All I wanted is the powered antenna.