HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Hd5 and mediacorp digital channels

Like Tree1Likes
View Poll Results: How u guys receive hd5 and mediacorp digital signals?
Thru hdb roof top antenna 4 11.76%
Subscribe to miotv/starhub and use their hd stb 18 52.94%
Thru a portable digital tv antenna 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #16

Good post, will take this and place it in the HD reception thread too.
There are many different types of hdb antenna. Those old HDB blocks with unfiltered antenna will be very good for HD reception. If you can receive the Indonesian channel from your hdb antenna, then you will have very good chance receiving hd5 perfectly.
2nd type will be filtered hdb antenna. Those antenna had some frequency jammer to disrupt those Indonesian / Malaysian free to air channel. You won't be able to receive hd5.
3rd type will be SCV installed antenna. Again, there are frequency jammers to disrupt signals. HD5 is not possible.
My block is using this 3rd type antenna.

Answering to the above post, there are differences between using booster powered antena vs normal antenna. If I turn off the power, I can't receive the HD5. But if I turn on, I'm able to receive it. And I'm using PCI DTV card btw. Last time I run some application that able to detect the signal quality of the DVB-T, and a good quality booster powered antenna really make the difference.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
Old 15-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #17

Filter is the correct term. If you like, band pass filter is the precise description. It allows selected channels to pass from the antennae to the amplifier.

The HDB signal is very high, whereas the Indonesian signal as obtained from your indoor loop antenna is much lower. When you feed the HDB signal to the coaxial input of your Daiyo, the strong and weak signals are mixed before going into the input of the amplifier. Now the combined signal at the input is very strong and practically no amplification is required. So the Indonesian signal pass through the amplifier without being amplified. The result is that Indonesian signal at the output is still weak.

If your application can test the quality of the analogue TV in addition to the DVB-T, you can verify my statement.
Yea. you're correct. I'm staying in lv17, facing south with big football field opposite my block and the rest of hdb block are the older lower storey types. I can even see partial fireworks during those celebrations in marina area

Hm.. using the antenna, even without the amplification, the indonesian channels are pretty clear. but the moment I insert the hdb line to the daiyo input, it disappeared completely.

No. the application can only works with DVB-T signals. It shows the db, snr, bandwidth, error rate, etc.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not. I recently did a channel scan and found out more signals, it seems mediacorp is experimenting with different types of HD signal. I saw the usual HD5 1080i, 3D trial SBS, 720p version, MHT (not sure what is this), and another one which I forgot the name.
Old 15-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #18

There are many different types of hdb antenna. Those old HDB blocks with unfiltered antenna will be very good for HD reception. If you can receive the indonesian channel from your hdb antenna, then you will have very good chance receiving hd5 perfectly.
2nd type will be filtered hdb antenna. Those antenna had some frequency jammer to disrupt those indonesian / malaysian free to air channel. You won't be able to receive hd5.
3rd type will be SCV installed antenna. Again, there are frequency jammers to disrupt signals. HD5 is not possible.
My block is using this 3rd type antenna.

Answering to the above post, there are differences between using booster powered antena vs normal antenna. If I turn off the power, I can't receive the HD5. But if I turn on, I'm able to receive it. And I'm using PCI DTV card btw. Last time I run some application that able to detect the signal quality of the DVB-T, and a good quality booster powered antenna really make the difference.
i dun think hdb put frequency jammers to block msia & indo on hdb roof top antenna~ its rather the orientation of the antennas~ there are few antenna to cater different set of frequencies~ if u can recv UHF band Ch U & CNA, u got a higher chance of recv HD5~ my indo channels are very weak but my HD5 is full bar~

as for SCV installed antenna, are u refering to pte ppty or commercial bldg? cos SCV dun install antenna on HDB as SCV use direct feed from their cable~ only pte residential & commercial bldg where cable are not accessible, then SCV will propose antenna to the owner~ even then, they will not block HD5~ if u referring to cable, its a different set of freq allocated for free-to-air channels & cable channels~

Old 15-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #19

i dun think hdb put frequency jammers to block msia & indo on hdb roof top antenna~ its rather the orientation of the antennas~ there are few antenna to cater different set of frequencies~ if u can recv UHF band Ch U & CNA, u got a higher chance of recv HD5~ my indo channels are very weak but my HD5 is full bar~

as for SCV installed antenna, are u refering to pte ppty or commercial bldg? cos SCV dun install antenna on HDB as SCV use direct feed from their cable~ only pte residential & commercial bldg where cable are not accessible, then SCV will propose antenna to the owner~ even then, they will not block HD5~ if u referring to cable, its a different set of freq allocated for free-to-air channels & cable channels~
How do you receive your HD5? Are you using your own indoor antenna or plug to the hdb antenna?

The SCV installed antenna, I'm talking about those new HDB blocks ones. It has mixed combination of scrambled digital signals + local tv analog signals + free preview scv analog signal.
Old 15-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #20

How do you receive your HD5? Are you using your own indoor antenna or plug to the hdb antenna?

The SCV installed antenna, I'm talking about those new HDB blocks ones. It has mixed combination of scrambled digital signals + local tv analog signals + free preview scv analog signal.

Tips to receive Free HD5 Channel without Mio Box or Starhub Box.
1- Your TV must have built-in DVB-T MPEG4 Tuner.
2- Must Connect Your TV to rooftop anttena or Indoor anttena.
3- Depend to your living location.

Please try...good luck..

Notes:
For HDB SCV wall socket only can get analogue channels like Tv1, 5 ,8 , U ,CNA , OKTO, Suria, Van...

For Indoor Antenna or Rooftop anttena:
Analague TV Tuner can gt following Channels(Some channels may not clear):
Local:5 ,8 , U ,CNA, OKTO, Suria, Van...
Malaysia: TV1,Tv2,Tv3,ntv7,8TV,TV9
Indonesia: SCTV, RCTI

Digital DVB-T TV Tuner can get following channels with very Clear picture quality especially for HD5 channel it broadcast under 1920 x 1080 Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound):
- HD5 , Digital 8, Digital 5 and Digital CNA

If your TV do not built-in DVB-T Tuner, Just buy a DVB-T MediaPlayer Recorder Box with built-in HD DVB-T tuner to get the HD5, Digital 8, Digital 5 , & DIgital CNA.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 15-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #21

Hi,

I'm staying at Teban Gradens, 14 sty and use a combination of diy antenna_"cloth hanger" configuration can receive HD5, digital 5,8,cna and a bunch of scrambled starhub channels, the other configuration - 2 copper wire (strip from co-axial antenna cable) can receive bunch of malaysian channels(not very clear) and indonesian channels but local channels can't receive at all , only sound but imaged is all blurred.

Some of the indonesian channels are strong, especially MNC and Global TV, which is just great for football!!!
Old 15-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #22

im using hdb antenna (MATV)~

im not aware that SCV install antenna on HDB~ i do know that new hdb block has roof top antenna (belongs to hdb) & starhub cable at the riser~ the owner can only choose one connection~

Old 15-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #23

im using hdb antenna (MATV)~

im not aware that SCV install antenna on HDB~ i do know that new hdb block has roof top antenna (belongs to hdb) & starhub cable at the riser~ the owner can only choose one connection~
Oh. I didn't know have the choice between scv / rooftop.
Old 15-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

Oh. I didn't know have the choice between scv / rooftop.
I've mentioned this long time ago in a very old thread.

And by the way there's no such thing as 'jammer' in the HDB antenna infrastructure.
Old 16-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #25
Master Member

Hm.. using the antenna, even without the amplification, the indonesian channels are pretty clear. but the moment I insert the hdb line to the daiyo input, it disappeared completely.

I don't have the signal level meter. Otherwise we can jointly investigate

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not. I recently did a channel scan and found out more signals, it seems mediacorp is experimenting with different types of HD signal. I saw the usual HD5 1080i, 3D trial SBS, 720p version, MHT (not sure what is this), and another one which I forgot the name.

The Channel identifications on my Samsung TV shows Media Corp HD5, Digital 5, Digital 8, Digital CNA, MHP_720Test & MHP_ Portal. A total of 6 digital channels. The last two channels showing the same programme as Channel 5.
The 6 digital channels are squeezed into 2 analogue Channel 29 and Channel 38. Channel 38 was used for Sports Channel long time ago. So those who live in HDB flats using HDB antennae will DEFINITELY be able to receive the HD5 unless they switch over to SCV, in which case they will receive it through the Starhub box.
Old 16-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
Arch-Supremacy Member

As mentioned in my old thread - the clue to whether is the point connected to roof-top antenna or SCV infrastructure is simply this - Can you receive the SCV free preview channels on tv without stb (not sure do they still have this practise).

If yes - you are connected to starhub infrastructure. If no - you are connected to roof-top or other means.
Old 16-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

any idea why they only broadcast HD for ch5 only and did not do so for the rest like ch8, chU, cna, etc?
Old 16-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #28

Hm.. after knowing that there is a choice to switch between scv and hdb antenna, I did some tinkering. To cut the story short, since i'm not subscribing to scv, I'm on hdb antenna now

Now on HDB antenna, I received perfect HD5 signal, together with the other 3 digital signals (Ch5, CNA, Ch8).
Interestingly, on the HDB antenna, I received perfect local channels, but nothing (or very weak signals) on the foreign channels, except TV2 Malaysia. This is quite strange, considering that my indoor antenna captures near perfect quality of for some of the indonesian channels. So, think HDB is using some kind of band pass frequency filter or some other technique. But I strongly believe they're using band pass filter, because it's very unlikely that I see nothing on the other foreign channels.

This is also to correct my above statement, there is no jammer on hdb antenna.

However, SCV is using those frequencies used by foreign tv for their own transmission. That's why the moment I inserted the scv cable to my indoor antenna, all the foreign signal disappeared, because it's being disrupted by the scv transmission.

Here are some frequency scan that I just tabulated (Mhz)
Available through hdb antenna:
175.25 : Channel 5
196.25 : Channel 8
210.25 : TV2 Malaysia (you won't get this through scv cable)
224.25 : Suria
495.25 : Vasantham
527.25 : Channel U
543.25 : Okto
559.25 : CNA (interestingly, if using scv, CNA is moved to 503.25)
538 : Digital Ch5, CNA, Ch8
610 : Digital HD5 (1080i), HD5 MHT_Test, HD5 MHT_720p

Additionally, if you're using SCV cable, you'll get the preview channel at 487.25 Mhz

Using the indoor antenna, facing south, I received the following:
182.25 : TVRI
503.25 : MetroTV
511.25 : TV3 Malaysia
631.25 : MNCTV
647.25 : RCTI
663.25 : Trans TV
679.25 : SCTV
711.25 : Batam TV
759.25 : Global TV

I believe if I put the antenna facing north, I should be able to receive more malaysian channels

I heard some HDB able to receive indonesian channel using their rooftop antenna. These may be unfiltered type.
Old 16-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #29
Arch-Supremacy Member

when will channel U turn digital ?
wait long long liao.
Old 16-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #30
Master Member

any idea why they only broadcast HD for ch5 only and did not do so for the rest like ch8, chU, cna, etc?
Simple. Summarized in one word - cost.

Don't be mistaken that Chan 5 programmes are all in HD. See this to get an idea >>*TV Listings on XinMSN Entertainment (you will be prompted to install Microsoft Silver Light if you have not done it before.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.