HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Hd5 and mediacorp digital channels

Like Tree1Likes
View Poll Results: How u guys receive hd5 and mediacorp digital signals?
Thru hdb roof top antenna 4 11.76%
Subscribe to miotv/starhub and use their hd stb 18 52.94%
Thru a portable digital tv antenna 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #31

It's actually quite sad. HD5 local productions are in HD. But the imported productions, only partials HD. the quality very obvious. Other countries like Japan, South Korea had been in total full HD for years.
Local HD had been hit and miss. Too complicated to use, lack of hd channels, not all TV supports the standards, etc. I'm wandering what has MDA been doing the past years.
Old 16-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #32
Master Member

@Soul77

Thanks for your long but excellent post which helped to refresh my memory.

About the TV2 not carried by SCV, when SCV started they carried both TV1 and TV2 so that HDB residents were not deprived of their existing reception. But because of licensing issue the 2 channels were dropped. The dispute was reported in the press.

About CNA moved to a different frequency on SCV, this was necessary because of channel conflict. SCV started their service before CNA commenced transmission.
Old 17-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #33

Hm.. after knowing that there is a choice to switch between scv and hdb antenna, I did some tinkering. To cut the story short, since i'm not subscribing to scv, I'm on hdb antenna now

Now on HDB antenna, I received perfect HD5 signal, together with the other 3 digital signals (Ch5, CNA, Ch8).
Interestingly, on the HDB antenna, I received perfect local channels, but nothing (or very weak signals) on the foreign channels, except TV2 Malaysia. This is quite strange, considering that my indoor antenna captures near perfect quality of for some of the indonesian channels. So, think HDB is using some kind of band pass frequency filter or some other technique. But I strongly believe they're using band pass filter, because it's very unlikely that I see nothing on the other foreign channels.

This is also to correct my above statement, there is no jammer on hdb antenna.

However, SCV is using those frequencies used by foreign tv for their own transmission. That's why the moment I inserted the scv cable to my indoor antenna, all the foreign signal disappeared, because it's being disrupted by the scv transmission.

Here are some frequency scan that I just tabulated (Mhz)
Available through hdb antenna:
175.25 : Channel 5
196.25 : Channel 8
210.25 : TV2 Malaysia (you won't get this through scv cable)
224.25 : Suria
495.25 : Vasantham
527.25 : Channel U
543.25 : Okto
559.25 : CNA (interestingly, if using scv, CNA is moved to 503.25)
538 : Digital Ch5, CNA, Ch8
610 : Digital HD5 (1080i), HD5 MHT_Test, HD5 MHT_720p

Additionally, if you're using SCV cable, you'll get the preview channel at 487.25 Mhz

Using the indoor antenna, facing south, I received the following:
182.25 : TVRI
503.25 : MetroTV
511.25 : TV3 Malaysia
631.25 : MNCTV
647.25 : RCTI
663.25 : Trans TV
679.25 : SCTV
711.25 : Batam TV
759.25 : Global TV

I believe if I put the antenna facing north, I should be able to receive more malaysian channels

I heard some HDB able to receive indonesian channel using their rooftop antenna. These may be unfiltered type.

u already answer your own question~ they dun filter off foreign frequencies, its the facing or the orientation of the antennas~ the surrounding & terrain also can affect the reception~

Old 17-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #34
Master Member

This post is to address the question of whether filter is used in the design for the rooftop antennae, common known as Master TV Antenna (MATV).

In this discussion MATV refers to the whole system while antenna (singular) or antennae (plural) refers to the metal element assembly only.

For simplicity, consider a MATV catering just for Chan 5 and Chan 10 (TV2). The antenna for Chan 5 will be pointing towards Bukit Batok, which is where the transmitter is. For TV2, the antenna will be pointing towards JB.

The Chan 5 antenna is receiving, at the same time, Chan 10 signal. But the quality may be poor, containing a lot of ghosts. Similarly, TV2 antenna is receiving good Chan 10 signal but poor Chan 5 signal. Now if the outputs from these 2 antennae are simply fed into the amplifier without processing, the amplified output will contain poor quality signals in both Chan 5 and TV2. It is necessary to filter out weak and poor signals from antennae so that only clean and good signals are fed into the amplifier.

So, in this particular example, only Chan 5 and TV2 signals will be available through the MATV.

In the case of HDB MATV, the design cater only for local TV stations, TV1 and TV2, no signals from other transmissions will be available. If one can receive other stations, that is because of strong ambient signals resulting in good direct pick up. These don't come from the rooftop antennae.
Old 20-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #35

If no - you are connected to roof-top or other means.
Old 20-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #36

Simple. Summarized in one word - cost.

Don't be mistaken that Chan 5 programmes are all in HD. See this to get an idea >>*TV Listings on XinMSN Entertainment (you will be prompted to install Microsoft Silver Light if you have not done it before.
i've been waiting for HD8 and Ch U HD for long time liao... but there's no news... only news on mediacorp launching pay-tv interactive set-top box service...

not much HD content on HD5... but most of the movies are in hd and 5.1 surround... have to take note of the HD5 logo at upper right of tv screen... after tv ads the animation will tell u if this content is in True HD or True HD with 5.1 surround.
as for SD content... i prefer HD5 to follow hk, korea, to present in 4:3 square box... not stretch to full screen.
Old 20-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #37

May I have a show of hand of how u guys receive these tv signal(tv with integrated digital tv tuner)?
thro hubstation hd and the V-shaped antenna from old 14" tv...
Old 21-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #38

Singapore is a bit in chicken & egg situation.
Not much HD channel, because no demand for it. No demand for it, because not many people choose the TV with DVB-T decoder. Not many ppl choose the DVB-T TV because these limited to higher end models and no incentive for the manufacturer to produce it due to low demand. Also not many ppl bought it because the price is more expensive, and ppl tend to choose the cheaper version of the same size. Also, many ppl don't see the benefit of HD5, because most of the time the local contents are in SD and 4:3 size. Take for example the news channels. I don't understand why mediacorp still showing news for HD5 in 4:3. To be honest, CNA should immediately jump to CNA-HD. It has the most locally produced contents.

All these require support and intervention from the govt to incentivize mediacorp. Or maybe allow another free to air broadcaster to spice up the competitions.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #39
Master Member

I'm wandering what has MDA been doing the past years.
Read this>>Introduction to Digital TV .

Essentially it means lack of infrastructure, programme contents and costs.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #40
Supremacy Member

actually HK SK JP already showing their TV dramas in HD but our stations damn slow or lazy.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #41

I think it's more due to the lack of competition. I'm sure if SPH still managing Channel U & i, we should be more advanced in term of HD contents.
Old 21-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #42

there are actually a lot of HD contents on ch 8 and U... since most local productions and TVB/Korean/Jap dramas and variety shows are all available in HD... but mcs choose to broadcast them in widescreen format.
Old 21-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #43

Not much HD channel, because no demand for it...
there are lots of demands for it... everyone is waiting for HD... just that the broadcaster is not launching them.
btw... even SD content on HD5 is clearer than Ch5.
anyway... most of us are enjoying HD channels on cabletv or mio already.
now my wishlist is more on starhub's TVBJ-HD and ECity-HD.
Old 22-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #44

there are lots of demands for it... everyone is waiting for HD... just that the broadcaster is not launching them.
btw... even SD content on HD5 is clearer than Ch5.
anyway... most of us are enjoying HD channels on cabletv or mio already.
now my wishlist is more on starhub's TVBJ-HD and ECity-HD.
Yes of course. the demand for HD is there. You and me, who understand what HD is are waiting desperetly for our local channels to go total HD. I myself can't go back to DVD anymore after enjoying what bluray offered.

But the problem is, people who enjoys and understand what full hd is only occupy less than 10% (maybe even less) of the population. The remaining 90% have no clue of what HD is. Most are satisfied with DVD quality because they haven't really see the quality of full HD. Some of this people are even still using CRT. Then when they buy new LCD tv, connect it to the antenna to watch local channels, they found out that they brand new shiny lcd has worse picture quality vs their old CRT when watching local channels. This is the problem that need to be solved.
Old 22-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #45
Master Member

It will probably need to be a govt driven initiative... like in the US...

Digital television transition in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.