HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Hd5 and mediacorp digital channels

Like Tree1Likes
View Poll Results: How u guys receive hd5 and mediacorp digital signals?
Thru hdb roof top antenna 4 11.76%
Subscribe to miotv/starhub and use their hd stb 18 52.94%
Thru a portable digital tv antenna 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Hd5 and mediacorp digital channels

May I have a show of hand of how u guys receive these tv signal(tv with integrated digital tv tuner)?

Last edited by cscw; 11-12-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Old 11-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

I cant vote - I can receive using 2 ways:
1) miotv stb
2) HDB rooftop antenna
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Master Member

I cant vote - I can receive using 2 ways:
1) miotv stb
2) HDB rooftop antenna
Me too. Roof top antennae Condo
Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #4

U 2 muz b few of the lucky guys that can receive these signals via roof top antenna... May I know which area u guys live and also any reason that u guys can receive it?
Old 13-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

I use portable powered antenna. You don't really need those so called "digital antenna". Good quality powered antenna is good enough.
Old 14-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
Master Member

U 2 muz b few of the lucky guys that can receive these signals via roof top antenna... May I know which area u guys live and also any reason that u guys can receive it?
The advantage of digital TV over analogue TV are no ghosting and no noisy picture, even when the signal is low. But when the signal gets too weak, you see no picture at all. So it's good picture or no picture. The signal comes from "direct pick up" by the connecting coaxial cable between the TV socket outlet and the TV set. A simple indoor antenna, or a short length of wire will usually be good enough (no need powered one). Soul77 can try this.

Generally, all HDB flats and private condos should be able to receive the signals from the direct pick up. Of course there may be exceptions.
Old 14-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
Master Member

I always thought HD5 can only be recieved by starhub HD setbox or miotv HD set box, never know can received thru the old hdb antenna?
Old 14-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #8

There are many different types of hdb antenna. Those old HDB blocks with unfiltered antenna will be very good for HD reception. If you can receive the indonesian channel from your hdb antenna, then you will have very good chance receiving hd5 perfectly.
2nd type will be filtered hdb antenna. Those antenna had some frequency jammer to disrupt those indonesian / malaysian free to air channel. You won't be able to receive hd5.
3rd type will be SCV installed antenna. Again, there are frequency jammers to disrupt signals. HD5 is not possible.
My block is using this 3rd type antenna.

Answering to the above post, there are differences between using booster powered antena vs normal antenna. If I turn off the power, I can't receive the HD5. But if I turn on, I'm able to receive it. And I'm using PCI DTV card btw. Last time I run some application that able to detect the signal quality of the DVB-T, and a good quality booster powered antenna really make the difference.
Old 14-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #9

I'm using this antenna btw, EU673A
Antenna

It cost me some $35 couple years back.
Old 14-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

I was on the HD trial last time... So I got the external antenna and draco set for free
Old 14-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
Master Member

There are many different types of hdb antenna. Those old HDB blocks with unfiltered antenna will be very good for HD reception. If you can receive the indonesian channel from your hdb antenna, then you will have very good chance receiving hd5 perfectly.
2nd type will be filtered hdb antenna. Those antenna had some frequency jammer to disrupt those indonesian / malaysian free to air channel. You won't be able to receive hd5.

HDB blocks are all installed with filtered antennae. There is no frequency jammer. The interference on TV1 (Channel 3) comes from elsewhere. Why should HDB jam TV1 and leave out TV2 (Channel 10) untouched?

If one happens to be able to receive foreign channels other than TV2, then it is one's luck to be in a location with strong signal, where the direct pick up signal is good enough for reception.

3rd type will be SCV installed antenna. Again, there are frequency jammers to disrupt signals. HD5 is not possible.
My block is using this 3rd type antenna.

TCS's digital channels are transmitted on UHF Channel 29 and Channel 38. It is likely that these two channels are being used for SCV's (Starhub's) own programmes. HD5 is not possible because the direct pick up is "drowned out" by stronger SCV ( Starhub) signals. The effect is not caused by jammers.

Answering to the above post, there are differences between using booster powered antena vs normal antenna. If I turn off the power, I can't receive the HD5. But if I turn on, I'm able to receive it. And I'm using PCI DTV card btw. Last time I run some application that able to detect the signal quality of the DVB-T, and a good quality booster powered antenna really make the difference.
Just experimented with a 2m length of normal coaxial cable. Digital 5, 8 and CNA perfect. HD5 no reception. Tried again with a longer cable coiled to about 2m length. This time HD5 plus other digital channels perfect. As I said earlier, these are direct pick up signals. Again I would like to emphasis that individual experience differs.

Last edited by mrsun18; 14-12-2011 at 01:06 PM..
Old 14-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #12

The signal from indonesian TV stations are very strong. especially those RCTI / SCTV. I'm staying in Ang Mo Kio, and the RCTI/SCTV are perfect. better than channel 5 if using the powered antenna.

I'm not sure what's the term. But i'm sure they don't just filter it. they do something with the frequency used by the indonesian channels.
I did test, the powered antenna had extra coaxial input, if I connect the cable from the hdb to the line input of the antenna, the indonesian channels disappear (just like no signal). If I take out the cable, then the indonesian channels are back.
Old 14-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #13

Sorry. I think I know why. My HDB is using those SCV cable, so maybe the freq used by indonesian channel are used by SCV, hence the "jamming". It's actually the scrambled SCV channels.
Old 14-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #14

how to i change from my hdb roof top antenna to starhub cable? I called up starhub, they want to charge 100 plus bucks to get this connect....The Antenna is not very clear..so was thinking swapping to cable to watch Free to air
Old 14-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
Master Member

The signal from indonesian TV stations are very strong. especially those RCTI / SCTV. I'm staying in Ang Mo Kio, and the RCTI/SCTV are perfect. better than channel 5 if using the powered antenna.

1) The Indonesians don't follow international convention. They use transmitters much more powerful than those used by TCS. The same goes for their FM radio stations.

2) You must be on high floor facing south

I'm not sure what's the term. But i'm sure they don't just filter it. they do something with the frequency used by the indonesian channels.
I did test, the powered antenna had extra coaxial input, if I connect the cable from the hdb to the line input of the antenna, the indonesian channels disappear (just like no signal). If I take out the cable, then the indonesian channels are back.
Filter is the correct term. If you like, band pass filter is the precise description. It allows selected channels to pass from the antennae to the amplifier.

The HDB signal is very high, whereas the Indonesian signal as obtained from your indoor loop antenna is much lower. When you feed the HDB signal to the coaxial input of your Daiyo, the strong and weak signals are mixed before going into the input of the amplifier. Now the combined signal at the input is very strong and practically no amplification is required. So the Indonesian signal pass through the amplifier without being amplified. The result is that Indonesian signal at the output is still weak.

If your application can test the quality of the analogue TV in addition to the DVB-T, you can verify my statement.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.