HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

Like Tree26Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #151
Master Member

ok. The situation is clearer now. It could be mere coincidence.

You can call HDB branch office to let them know that you have no tv reception and they will settle it for you.

On the other hand, if you flat is in the newer category where a utility box with patch panels is provided for connections of fibre, tv and phone cables, the ST people could have, but unlikely, mess up the connections.

Whichever way it is, the Branch Office will resolve for you. Good luck.

Last edited by mrsun18; 12-11-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #152

@mrsun18

hey thanks for the help. i already called hdb branch and they send down someone and adjust some stuff at the rooftop antenna. everything is fixed now. thanks !
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #153
Master Member

@mrsun18

hey thanks for the help. i already called hdb branch and they send down someone and adjust some stuff at the rooftop antenna. everything is fixed now. thanks !
Wah, so fast. I suppose many others also called. Glad to be of help.
Old 18-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #154
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can any HDTV with LAN or USB be converted into a smart TV via a LAN/USB wifi adapter ?

Or is there additional hardware requirement in the TV ?
Old 19-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #155

Can any HDTV with LAN or USB be converted into a smart TV via a LAN/USB wifi adapter ?

Or is there additional hardware requirement in the TV ?
Technically yes if the TV supports flash. However your viewing experience may differ depending on the processor speed of the TV. The best solution is still to link it to Android TV or PC for a better experience or external box.
Old 30-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #156

Final technical specs of DVB-T2 receivers announced (silently) by MDA. Hopefully, TV makers like Sony, Panasonic etc. can rush to include the DVB-T2 tuners in their 2013 TV range very soon.

DVB-T2 Receiver Specification
Old 10-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #157

HDTV Digital Reception

Hi,

I have a Samsung Series 5 TV that has an in-built TV Tuner. I recently bought a Soundtech TVA-600 antenna to get digital signal. I am only able to receive HD5, Channel 5 Digital, Channel 8 Digital and Channel Newsasia Digital. How can I receive the other channels like Channel U, Suria, Vasantham etc?

Also I realized that if I really hang the antenna at the tip of the window frame, I can get extra 15 channels, but these channels cannot be viewed. It says channel scrambled.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #158
Master Member

The other MediaCorp channels are not available in digital.
Old 13-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #159

The other MediaCorp channels are not available in digital.
Hi, thanks for the info.

If I get a VHF/UHF mixer, I will still not be able to get channels like okto and channel U which are in the UHF range right?
Old 13-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #160

SCV TV point, HDB antenna and FTA channels

Currently, my TV is plugged to the SCV TV point via an aerial coaxial cable with RF connector. But I'm not subscribed to any StarHub TV or SingTel mioTV. So can only receive those free-to-air (FTA) MediaCorp's channels (5, 8, U, CNA).

In this case, the signals for the MediaCorp's channels (5, 8, U, CNA) are coming from StarHub or the HDB antenna? The signals are analog and of standard definition (SD) only I suppose?

Channel 8, U and Okto are OK with clear image. However, for Channel 5 and CNA, my TV has noticeable horizontal bandings: alternate thick lines 1 or 2 inches thick of different brightness. A repeated pattern of a brighter line, followed by another darker line stripe. Anyone experiencing this? Tried playing with the TV settings but nothing helped. Poor reception, weak signal, caused by coaxial splitter or TV problem?

Years ago in the 90s, I thought HDB forced everyone to migrate to SCV TV point, and the antennas were deactivated or no longer usable. Is this correct?

Somehow my connection is able to receive the Malaysian RTM1 channel, but very noisy and barely watchable. But some people reported that the SCV TV point should not be able to receive RTM1.
Old 13-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #161

Currently, my TV is plugged to the SCV TV point via an aerial coaxial cable with RF connector. But I'm not subscribed to any StarHub TV or SingTel mioTV. So can only receive those free-to-air (FTA) MediaCorp's channels (5, 8, U, CNA).

In this case, the signals for the MediaCorp's channels (5, 8, U, CNA) are coming from StarHub or the HDB antenna? The signals are analog and of standard definition (SD) only I suppose?

Channel 8, U and Okto are OK with clear image. However, for Channel 5 and CNA, my TV has noticeable horizontal bandings: alternate thick lines 1 or 2 inches thick of different brightness. A repeated pattern of a brighter line, followed by another darker line stripe. Anyone experiencing this? Tried playing with the TV settings but nothing helped. Poor reception, weak signal, caused by coaxial splitter or TV problem?

Years ago in the 90s, I thought HDB forced everyone to migrate to SCV TV point, and the antennas were deactivated or no longer usable. Is this correct?

Somehow my connection is able to receive the Malaysian RTM1 channel, but very noisy and barely watchable. But some people reported that the SCV TV point should not be able to receive RTM1.
SCV point can recv TV1 also but not TV2~ to confirm, if u can tune to 743.25Mhz, u are connected to starhub~

bad reception could due to the type of RF cable or splitter u using~ recommended cable is Belden 1530A RG6, for splitter use starhub or regal 5-1000Mhz type~

Old 14-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #162

Hi Guys,

For my flat, i notice there is two point for each room written as TV & FM. when i connect the antenna cable to TV point, i can tune into FTA channel provided by starhub. but when i connect to FM point, there are some channels found (2-3 channels) but all blurry and not watchable.

is the FM point is actually the MATV rooftop antenna? coz i would like to watch HD5 channel and stuck with TV (starhub) point guess I've no luck other than MATV or Indoor antenna?

PS: staying in HDB, sengkang area

Thanks
Old 14-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #163

Hi Guys,

For my flat, i notice there is two point for each room written as TV & FM. when i connect the antenna cable to TV point, i can tune into FTA channel provided by starhub. but when i connect to FM point, there are some channels found (2-3 channels) but all blurry and not watchable.

is the FM point is actually the MATV rooftop antenna? coz i would like to watch HD5 channel and stuck with TV (starhub) point guess I've no luck other than MATV or Indoor antenna?

PS: staying in HDB, sengkang area

Thanks
if u open up the tv point, u will find the TV & FM come from the same cable with a splitter to filter the frequency~ FM is for radio, if your have an AV receiver, you can utilise the FM socket~

Old 14-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #164

ic, thanks sunsetbay for the explaination. so i guess there is no way i can watch HD5 for free other than indoor antenna?
Old 14-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #165
Master Member

Hi, thanks for the info.

If I get a VHF/UHF mixer, I will still not be able to get channels like okto and channel U which are in the UHF range right?
jayz_sg

Need to have a better picture of what you have now for your tv signal feed before we can talk about the mixer. Are you in one of the following situations?

a) landed property with own set of tv antennae?
b) private condo with only scv outlets or both scv and matv (master tv system with roof top antennae). If you have both, where do you take the signal from?
c) hdb property, taking signal from scv network or hdb antennae?

Describe the channels that you can and cannot receive, including picture quality.

Are you able to receive analogue channels with your soundtech?

Do note tv1, tv2, chans 5, 8 and 12(Suria) are in the vhf bands and the rest of sg fta channels, including digital, are in the uhf band. See page 4 of this IDA document for the channel allocations in sg >>http://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Files/...iteSpaceTP.pdf
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.