HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

Like Tree26Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #16

Where can you buy the antennas:

Sim Lim Square & Tower have plenty to offer, big and small. IMO, it's not the antenna, it's the location - if the signal is bad, it doesn't really matter if you have a super antenna.
Old 19-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #17

Hi all,

If you like the first Version of the antenna, you are going to like this. It's simpler and even better in Signal Acquisition then before.

**** WHAT''S NEW ****

This new antenna captures 15 Digital and HD Channels!!
- Digital 5, Digital CNA and much more.
- Bonus!!! Indonesia and Malaysia Analog Channels picked up as well, World Cup anyone?
- And it seems Media corp going to put out more HD Channels real soon, see test channel name and you will know what I mean.

The new enhancement to the home brew antenna, is shown at the end of this video presentation.

To build one..
STEP 1 : Follow this guide http://current.org/ptv/ptv0821make.pdf
STEP 2: Include the enhancement shown in my video.

Where to buy what :
1)Wires, Nuts and Screws try Home-Fix or Sim Lim Tower.
2)For Balun Transformer, please go to Sim Lim Tower 3rd or 4th Floor Audio / Mic Shop on the Right of Escalator. (Cant remember shop name)
3)Card Board or Backing, any Arts and Craft shop and asked for hardest and Thickest Card board (0.3cm thick)

*** If you like the Video, please give it a good rating and so i know i should work to enhance it further.
or do a video guide to build one.

Regards,
M_

See it Here if it doesn't load
>> **VER2.0** DIY Antenna for Watching Singapore HD5 and much MORE!!! - YouTube

Old 19-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #18

Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #19

update...waitin' for her so-called 'nationwide roll-out'....only Business Times reported on this...

SPEECH BY MS GRACE FU HAI YIEN, SENIOR MINISTER OF STATE, MINISTRY OF INFORMATION, COMMUNICATIONS AND THE ARTS AND MINISTRY OF THE ENVIRONMENT AND WATER RESOURCES, AT AMRI, 01 MARCH 2012, 12:28 PM AT KL, MALAYSIA
Mr Chairman, His Excellency Dato’ Seri Utama Dr Rais Yatim
Mr Vice-Chairman, His Excellency Mr Soe Win
Honourable ASEAN Ministers
Excellencies
Delegates
Ladies and Gentlemen
Good morning

1. I would like to begin by congratulating Your Excellency Dato’ Seri Utama Dr Rais Yatimon your appointment as Chairman of the 11th Conference of AMRI, and to also take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation to the Government and people of Malaysia for the excellent arrangements that have been made for this meeting and the warm hospitality that has been accorded to us since our arrival.

2. This is the first time I am representing Singapore at AMRI and I am looking forward to our discussions related to the theme, “Media: Connecting Peoples and Bridging Cultures Towards One ASEAN Community”.

A Connected ASEAN

3. At the 19th ASEAN Summit held on November 2011 in Bali, ASEAN Leaders reiterated their promise to build a more united and connected ASEAN community. Singapore demonstrated our commitment by pledging $50 million over the next four years in an effort to bridge the gap in development between the four newer ASEAN members and their six neighbours. With three years left to achieve the goal of an ASEAN Community by 2015, ASEAN is at a critical juncture in our community-building efforts.
Role of Public and Private Broadcasters

4. Media can play a catalytic role in creating a meaningful ASEAN Community, and none more so than Public broadcasters. Public broadcasters have traditionally played a strong role in keeping audiences informed, bonding communities and shaping culture and identity. The national broadcasters in ASEAN have long standing collaborations through the ASEAN TV News Exchange (ATN) and the ASEAN in Action (AiA) initiatives. Such programmes have proven successful in continuing to educate and expose ASEAN audiences to developments in the region.

5. However, with the vast array of global content now made easily available to audiences through both traditional and new media platforms, public broadcasters are increasingly challenged to offer compelling content to target audiences. I urge the producers of ATN and AIA programmes to respond to these challenges and ensure that our method of reaching out the ASEAN public remains attractive and relevant.

Transitioning to Digital Broadcasting
6. I would also like to commend the ASEAN Digital Broadcasting initiative for the progress it has made in coordinating ASEAN’s transition towards digital broadcasting. An excellent example of ASEAN collaboration is the set of “Guidelines for ASEAN Digital Switch-Over” that the ADB had developed to serve as a shared blueprint to aid all Member States in their transition towards digital broadcasting.

7.Last year, Singapore announced that we were studying the feasibility of adopting the DVB-T2 standard for Digital Terrestrial Television. I am pleased to inform you that we have successfully completed the trial for the DVB-T2 standard and are looking into its nationwide implementation. We expect to offer high-definition broadcasting for all Free-to-Air TV channels in Singapore.

8. I am glad to learn that some ASEAN Members, namely Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar and Vietnam have also decided to leap-frog to DVB-T2. ASEAN should develop common specifications for the DVB-T2 receivers so that equipment manufacturers can benefit from economies of scale. This in turn will lower the cost of set-top boxes for consumers. With digital broadcasting promising to provide the public with better viewing experiences, we also need to ensure that ASEAN content remains engaging to our audiences. More can be done to promote co-productions of high-definition content among producers in ASEAN. We can leverage on each other’s strengths and develop content that appeals to the ASEAN sensibility as well as international audiences.

9. I understand that the ADB will embark on the joint production of “Colours of ASEAN”, a television series in High Definition (HD) that is expected to be completed by December 2013. ASEAN should support such collaborations and encourage ASEAN broadcasters to work together and continue participating in meaningful projects that celebrates the unity within ASEAN’s diversity. Such partnerships will also give broadcasters an additional platform to learn from each other and enhance their production expertise. ASEAN can similarly explore creative and strategic partnerships between public and private broadcasters, content producers and government agencies.
Conclusion

10. In conclusion, I would like to say that I am encouraged by the way ASEAN collaborations in the information and media sector are moving forward. There is still a lot that needs to be done to consolidate our goals into one common vision. I am sure with the solidarity and close cooperation that have been the hallmarks of all ASEAN foras, we are closer to creating One ASEAN Community.

Thank you.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #20

...VHF/UHF mixer ~$15 at UF technology at SLS, ...
Interested to know which type of the mixers you mentioned ($15):

or

thx
Old 16-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
Master Member

i hv this Astone AP360T player/recorder. it has build-in DTV receiver n a digital signal input at the back (indicated by RF IN in image below). i wanted to record okto's programme via this RF IN. i hv mio tv. may i ask the options available to make it work? thanks.

note: i hv been using the AV IN (output frm mio tv stb) but, unfortunately, it cant record programme in wide screen mode via the AV IN.

Astone Media Gear AP-360T 1080p Media Player with PVR & HDTV Tuner - Astone - Design for Life!
Old 23-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #22
Supremacy Member

Remove the post, no such thing as jammers for HDB, switch either to cable or antennae.
Old 23-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #23

Soul 77 should step forward to clarify the jammer issue.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #24

Stay in the west, able to receive digital 5, 8, CNA and HD5. But strange nit able to receive digital Channel U.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #25

Totally agree on this.

When I was in HK, it really makes the viewing more pleasing. Just add something onto the sides if the black strips are 'not so nice'.

Just find Mediacorp being plain lazy I guess... It's been for so many years, still can't have a standardisation to industry practices. I think one day they might still have to do it, so why not just get it done earlier?
i think HD channels showing sd content in square box is easier to maintain... the HD channel shows the whole screen while SD channel just shows the center cropped square area... then they don't need to have 2 diff feeds for ch5 and hd5... or squeeze the whole 16:9 screen into PAL resolution.
the current mediacorp news aspect ratio is really confusing... suddenly fat suddenly thin...
Old 14-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #26
Master Member

Interested to know which type of the mixers you mentioned ($15):

or

thx
wonder does UF still have them, cos their shop in SLS just had a revamp. for $15 i surely wanna get one of those. have been using A-B switch for years
Old 16-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #27

mediacorp's HD5 is 1080i over-the-air

whereas if you receive HD5 via mio TV, it is 720p

does anybody know any difference between the 2 ways of receiving HD5?

My viewing feels its slightly better quality with 1080i
Old 17-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #28

mediacorp's HD5 is 1080i over-the-air

whereas if you receive HD5 via mio TV, it is 720p

does anybody know any difference between the 2 ways of receiving HD5?

My viewing feels its slightly better quality with 1080i
mio hd5 only 720p? any settings to change?
starhub hd5 is 1080i... but u can change resolution via set top box.
even other channels like ch8 u can also set the hubstation to 1080i and watch it upscaled.

recv thro antenna is the original feed direct from mediacorp... also with data like program guide etc... but if the signal is not good u can still get pixellated image.
Old 18-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
Honorary Member

I use DIY antenna to receive. It seems to receive the digital channels better than some of the retail antennas that I use.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

If you are signing up to giga mobile plan and need a referral code, you can use my referral code <Ym8UNG>.
Ends 26 Nov 2020. Not applicable to $18 popup plan.
Old 19-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #30
Great Supremacy Member

The news mentioned by end of next year all change to digital include channel u so those tv with digital tuner dun need to buy the new digital tuner? Are they using same tech?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.