HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what i did salvaging the balun transformer from e rabbit ear antenna and try it with the Clip CD case but somehow receive no signal at all. Suspect it could be balun transformer faulty. juz could like to give it another try with the one in the photo.

If u encounter problem, it's better to replace the older components with newer ones so that at least u eliminate the possibility that it's balun problem rather than antenna design problem.

Adi Dassler

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows where to buy the digital converter box aka set-top box? Went challenger but can't find it....

andmic04

Reaction score
If u encounter problem, it's better to replace the older components with newer ones so that at least u eliminate the possibility that it's balun problem rather than antenna design problem.

Agree with you, intend to buy a new transformer to try out. Hope it not the environment factor....

andmic04

Reaction score
to watch digital channels?

Happen to saw this youtube video....

but dunno sg got sell this kind of thing? Sorry me noob...:(

I got one recently from ebay for 60+ buck.
HD Mini DVB-T2 FREEVIEW MPEG4 H.264 USB HDMI RCA STB RECEIVER,T210T2. test and it work well. only thing is that you will need to get an antenna to go with it which currently I am trying to make one :)

koreanlover

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, its a 75-300ohms matching transformer...looks like that...3rd floor or the ground level on the right will have it..$1.50

Balun-Caximbo.jpg

Is it SLS or SLT ? Sunsetbay said SLS, you said SLT ?
Or both places also got sell ?

previously many of them bought it at SLS level 3, UF technology~ they placed in a box on the floor~ that was few yrs back and it was selling at $1~! not sure it still selling or nt~ :s22:

Matching transformer? Sim lim Tower...its not exactly the same as in the video. It does not have the 2 wires but will work nonetheless

ChiSholm

Reaction score
Last edited:

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Is it SLS or SLT ? Sunsetbay said SLS, you said SLT ?
Or both places also got sell ?

the balun transformer i bought is this type~ anyway, my diy CD antenna & older version metal coat hanger antenna cant work also~ probably due to my location and low floor unit~ hv to stick to my roof top antenna~ :s22:

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
the balun transformer i bought is this type~ anyway, my diy CD antenna & older version metal coat hanger antenna cant work also~ probably due to my location and low floor unit~ hv to stick to my roof top antenna~ :s22:

the connecting thing between the balun and clips, you try cutting out the protruding part, and connect directly to the silver metal instead of the black one.

andmic04

Reaction score

Hi, Could advise where u got this balun transformer? gotten give a last shot with this ....

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Hi, Could advise where u got this balun transformer? gotten give a last shot with this ....
he mentioned it before

i bought mine at the same place too
previously many of them bought it at SLS level 3, UF technology~ they placed in a box on the floor~ that was few yrs back and it was selling at $1~! not sure it still selling or nt~ :s22:

COTRAN.jpg

Streetwise

Reaction score
I recently bought this tv (UA40F5500AM - TECH SPECS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG) and it states that it has a DVB-T / C DTV Tuner. Does this mean I only need to get an additional antenna in order to view mediacorp's digital broadcasts? If so, may I know if any antenna will do or do I have to take note of something?

Will this work and is the price reasonable? 25dB UHF VHF DVB-T Amplified Car TV Signal Aerial Antenna Amplifier | eBay

If u stay in HDB and hve rooftop attenna, u can try it and see whether u can rec'd digital signal. If no, then...read thru' the threads.....it contains useful info on wat works...or DIY as per current threads discussion. Pls note tat whichever way u go....there are variables involve where u might not be to rec'd digital signals.....like tall structures tat may block the signals from getting thru'.

xsoldix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
gt a qns for u all here.

1. i'm using NextPVR for my old dvb-t usb tuner.
with its stock antenna placed a bit outside my window, can receive ch8,5,CNA and HD5.
all ok except HD5, only audio, no video. ---- Codec/decoder issues?

2. I wanna try DIY antenna for better boost in quality.
whats the cable to connect the balun transformer to my usb tuner?
From what i understand from previous replies,
there are 2 types of balun transformer...

Something that looks like:
$(KGrHqZ,!rYE88g6(v+RBPdgBi85)w~~60_35.JPG

and

$(KGrHqN,!iUE8dotOj2gBPYk67eqsw~~60_35.JPG

how to connect ar?
Something like this , but older one...

product1_59977_600x600.jpg

Thanks!

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
gt a qns for u all here.

1. i'm using NextPVR for my old dvb-t usb tuner.
with its stock antenna placed a bit outside my window, can receive ch8,5,CNA and HD5.
all ok except HD5, only audio, no video. ---- Codec/decoder issues?

2. I wanna try DIY antenna for better boost in quality.
whats the cable to connect the balun transformer to my usb tuner?
From what i understand from previous replies,
there are 2 types of balun transformer...

Something that looks like:
$(KGrHqZ,!rYE88g6(v+RBPdgBi85)w~~60_35.JPG

and

$(KGrHqN,!iUE8dotOj2gBPYk67eqsw~~60_35.JPG

how to connect ar?
Something like this , but older one...

product1_59977_600x600.jpg

Thanks!

1) Codec issue.

U can use your own codec, or use Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder for H.264 video (already installed in Win7 and Win8) with this patch:
NPVR 2.6.2 - Current Patches and Getting Started info

2) Same thing, just use a coaxial cable (screw type) to connect. For the first one u will just need to screw one end to the transformer, then maybe use a coaxial to F plug adapter to connect to the TV stick. For the second one u probably need 2 adapters on both ends since the transformer also uses the plug type.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also need something simple for my mum to use similar to Hubstation.

I need to get the Sesame Street shows off the Hubstation for my niece before I can go optimize the Hubstation hard disk

The Hubstation is a rental unit and working fine until the recent firmware upgrade making it slow to change channels and hard to record shows (it keeps saying its full but there are 15 hours left of recording time inside).

I used to have a ACRyan PVR72100 but it died a few years back (something burnt inside).

I got this for her but she finds it too hard to use.

Qoo10-Singapore - TV/Major Appliances - Smart TV DONGLE TV BOX QUAD CO...

Any idea what else we I can get her that is similar to the Hubstation interface and can record the shows?

sunsetbay

Reaction score
the connecting thing between the balun and clips, you try cutting out the protruding part, and connect directly to the silver metal instead of the black one.

ok, done that but still can't recv~ i even placed the antenna outside the window~ i done few antenna before, the best i can recv was TVmobile which already decommission~

my only choice left is roof top antenna~ :vijayadmin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.