HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

Like Tree26Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #31
Supremacy Member

The news mentioned by end of next year all change to digital include channel u so those tv with digital tuner dun need to buy the new digital tuner? Are they using same tech?
yeah im interested to know about this also whether they will be using dvb-t2 for all or can use current dvb-t
Old 19-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #32

Recently I saw tender ads in the newspaper by Mediacorp, they're looking for OTT solution. Maybe that's going to be a better solution.

But imho, Singapore is very slow in this kind of service, even when compared to Indonesia, which just launched a full fledged OTT service, complete with EPG scheduling, catch up tv feature for all the programme, etc..
Old 19-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #33

Made a call to the MDA hotline, this is the info that I received.

DVB-T2 broadcast from Dec 2013 onwards. DVB-T broadcast will STOP.

So your TV with the builtin DVB-T tuner CANNOT receive the over the air DVB-T2 broadcast. So be prepared to buy a new DVB-T2 receiver.

Folks looking to buy a new TV, look for models with support for DVB-T2.

All of Mediacorp channels will be digital after Dec 2013 but only a selection will be in HD.

yeah im interested to know about this also whether they will be using dvb-t2 for all or can use current dvb-t
Old 19-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #34

If the DVB-T2 signal is not gonna be transmitted free via the SCV point, it will useless even if your future TV supports DVB-T2.

Although HD5 is a free channel, one has to subscribe to Starhub or Mio to watch it.

HDB antenna/Indoor antenna also cannot receive the signal in most locations. Heck...my block has no signal even for CNA via the HDB Antenna.
Old 19-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #35

Hopefully the DVB-T2 broadcast signal will be better. At the moment. I can received the DVB-T over the air signal on a UHF $20 antenna.

If the DVB-T2 signal is not gonna be transmitted free via the SCV point, it will useless even if your future TV supports DVB-T2.

Although HD5 is a free channel, one has to subscribe to Starhub or Mio to watch it.

HDB antenna/Indoor antenna also cannot receive the signal in most locations. Heck...my block has no signal even for CNA via the HDB Antenna.
Old 19-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #36
Honorary Member

So your TV with the builtin DVB-T tuner CANNOT receive the over the air DVB-T2 broadcast. So be prepared to buy a new DVB-T2 receiver.

All of Mediacorp channels will be digital after Dec 2013 but only a selection will be in HD.
I see, it's DVB-T2 ah? Then I'll have to take note not to buy any more DVB-T tuners liao.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

If you are signing up to giga mobile plan and need a referral code, you can use my referral code <Ym8UNG>.
Ends 26 Nov 2020. Not applicable to $18 popup plan.
Old 19-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #37

Guys can you post your comments and tips on all matters related to antennae, reception and Hi Def TV here please, thanks.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
Old 19-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #38
Great Supremacy Member

sian need to waste money liaoz
Old 19-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #39

Btw, has the DVB-T2 trial started? is the signal is free over the air? or just through starhub setup box? The news said it should already started last year, Sep 2011.
Old 19-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #40

MDA should work with HDB to send the signals to our homes. Why should we get the antenna ourselves? This is a nation-wide project!
Old 19-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #41

Btw, has the DVB-T2 trial started? is the signal is free over the air? or just through starhub setup box? The news said it should already started last year, Sep 2011.
i think the trial over already... anyway most of our tv can't support dvb-t2.
for those using starhub set-top box... we are not affected as all sh channels are digital already... but that's not dvb.
Old 19-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #42

Recently I saw tender ads in the newspaper by Mediacorp, they're looking for OTT solution. Maybe that's going to be a better solution.

But imho, Singapore is very slow in this kind of service, even when compared to Indonesia, which just launched a full fledged OTT service, complete with EPG scheduling, catch up tv feature for all the programme, etc..
u mean mediacorp channels over set-top box?
i think last year news already announced.
but i think a bit duplicated with starhub... starhub also got 8-on-demand already... can watch mcs drama in HD.
starhub's catch-up and on-demand services are good... plus hubstation's time-shift function... quite used to this new style of watching tv.
Old 19-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #43
Supremacy Member

MDA should work with HDB to send the signals to our homes. Why should we get the antenna ourselves? This is a nation-wide project!
imho they should send the DVB-T2 signal down the cable points. Not doing so is unfairly benefitting pay TV providers. After all, we used to be able to even watch malaysian/indonesian channels via rooftop antennas, before "cable-ready" points made it no longer possible, because Starhub doesnt want to feed FTA channels beyond what it is legally obligated to.

At the most, we should get just the tuner, not an entire antenna setup.

PS: This is just talking about FTA channels. Remember the fact that we can't even watch free satellite channels because our gahmen doesnt want us to
Old 19-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #44

DVB - Digital Video Broadcasting - Singapore

DVB-T2 trial in September
Singapore will be embarking on a nationwide trial for the Digital Video Broadcasting - Second-Generation Terrestrial (DVB-T2) standard for Digital Terrestrial Television.
The trial was announced by Dr Yaacob Ibrahim, Singapore's Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts, during his opening address at Broadcast Asia 2011.
The Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA) is putting in place a trial network by September this year to determine how DVB-T2 can be adopted.
Dr Yaacob also announced that consumers in Singapore and overseas will be able to freely access MediaCorp's seven free-to-air channels on the Internet within the next year.
Singapore TV is on schedule to go fully digital, in line with ASEAN's aim to switch off analogue transmission between 2015 and 2020.
Main source: Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union
Item added: 27th June 2011

Old 19-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #45

Singapore's Free-to-air TV Channels to go Fully Digital by 2013

Adoption of DVB-T2 standard will pave the way for better viewing experiences over all seven free-to-air channels

Singapore, June 19, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - The Media Development Authority today announced that Singapore's free-to-air (FTA) TV channels will go fully digital by the end of 2013 using the DVB-T2 (Digital Video Broadcasting - Second Generation Terrestrial) broadcasting standard.

With Singapore's migration to digital TV, free-to-air broadcaster MediaCorp will transmit all its seven free-to-air channels digitally by end 2013. Channels 5, 8, Suria and Vasantham will be available in High Definition by end 2013. The remaining three channels - okto, Channel U and Channel NewsAsia will first be broadcast in Standard Definition from end 2013, before being broadcast in High Definition in 2016.

"The world is switching from analogue to digital TV broadcasting as digital TV not only offers better image and sound quality, but also frees up scarce spectrum for other services, such as wireless broadband," said Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts Dr Yaacob Ibrahim at the opening ceremony of Infocomm Media Business Exchange (imbX) on 19 June 2012 at the Marina Bay Sands.

The adoption of DVB-T2 standard comes after a successful trial conducted last year with MediaCorp and pay-TV operator StarHub. The trial, which involved some 500 households in Ang Mo Kio and Bedok housing estates, showed that DVB-T2 was suitable for deployment in Singapore's urbanised environment.

To ensure a smooth switchover, there will be a simulcast period, where both digital and analogue free-to-air television signals will be broadcast to ensure all households have time to get accustomed to receiving their free-to-air TV signals digitally. Singapore will complete the switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting by 2020, in line with ASEAN's agreed timeframe for making the switch(1).

Benefits for consumers

Once DVB-T2 broadcasting begins, consumers can enjoy an enhanced viewing experience when watching MediaCorp's free-to-air digital television channels. This includes sharper and clearer images, cinematic surround-sound effects, and new content and services such as an electronic programme guide.

Consumers will have different options to tune into digital free-to-air broadcasts. Those who are currently watching MediaCorp channels via a StarHub or SingTel pay TV service are already receiving digital channels. Thus, no action is needed on their part(2).

Consumers who are non-pay TV subscribers will need a DVB-T2 digital receiver and an indoor or outdoor antenna to receive digital TV signals on their current TV sets. MDA is working with manufacturers to develop the technical specifications suitable for Singapore's digital TV receivers. These digital TV receivers are expected to be available in Singapore from early next year before MediaCorp starts transmitting the free-to-air channels digitally at the end of 2013.

MDA will work closely with MediaCorp, as well as major manufacturers and electronics stores on an educational campaign to help consumers prepare for the digital switchover.

More information on Singapore's digital broadcasting plans can be found at the websites of MDA (Home) and MediaCorp (MediaCorp).

(1) In the Asia-Pacific region, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and South Korea are planning togo digital between 2012 and 2015, while Japan has already gone fully digital since June 2011.
(2) However, should they have secondary TV sets not subscribed to Pay TV service, these TV sets would require a digital receiver and antenna each.

About MDA

The Media Development Authority of Singapore (Home) promotes the growth of globally competitive Animation, Broadcast, Film, Games, Interactive Media, Music and Publishing industries. It also regulates the media sector to safeguard the interest of consumers and promotes a connected society. MDA is a statutory board under the Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts (MICA).

Source: MDA

Contact: Tan Lay Ping Phone: +65 9726 3122 Email: tan_lay_ping@mda.gov.sg Winston Chai Phone: +65 9726 3029 Email: winston_chai@mda.gov.sg

Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.