HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HDTV Tuner Setup and Reception Issues

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #151

It seem, despite the craze and ads and influx of new LCD and plasma and soon OLEDTV. The infrastructure for HD is not yet in place.

Funny thing is we stiill need a wire external antennae to receive HD TV signal and not via the standard wall Antennae socket.

Very very strange indeed.
Singapore, since long ago do trila on HD format from US and Europe yet despite this long lapse after influx of HD TV and some HD TV broadcast, still have to use external Antennae.

The industry for HD broadcast doesn't seem to be place yet.

Infrastructure wise, we are still quite backdated.

For a country touted to be the most advance in ASIA, its quite Malu.

Regards
Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #152

It's all about money.

Want HD5, get mio TV and pay a minimum charge $16.05

It is really pathetic for the ordinary man in the street.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #153
Arch-Supremacy Member

Cool! thanks. Well, it looks like any UHF antenna would do. I thought you need a special Digital Antenna for it.

Yeah, it is really sad really. I think to watch only TV Mobile is really quite a waste. I do not know why I thought that I could just plug to the SCV point and get all the available Digital Channels. It was a good thing that I did not get a pure DVB-T or else it would really be a waste.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #154

I've bought myself a Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid Pro Stick last week thinking about receiving HD5 programming.

When I tried the provided antenna and placed that at the Window, I was able to receive Mobile TV very clearly but HD5 although detected is just a blank gray screen. I did receive some analog indonesian channels very clearly but the local channels are quite blur. I supposed the antenna may not be powerful enough to receive the local programming.

Anyways, after that I connect the Pinnacle to my SCV point but as suspected, I did not receive the HD channels but just the local analog ones + RTM1.

I understand that you probably need an powerful antenna to receive the HD channels, I was wondering what is a good recommendation for a Digital Antenna or is there any other way to receive it.

By the way, does HD5 broadcast the whole day or just when the show is in HD and blank the other times ?
HD5 Broadcast content is the same as Channel 5. Not all the programes in HD5 are in HD.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #155

Cool! thanks. Well, it looks like any UHF antenna would do. I thought you need a special Digital Antenna for it.

Yeah, it is really sad really. I think to watch only TV Mobile is really quite a waste. I do not know why I thought that I could just plug to the SCV point and get all the available Digital Channels. It was a good thing that I did not get a pure DVB-T or else it would really be a waste.
Doesnt mean get a powerful antenna can get HD5..it depends on location as well.
Old 14-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #156

I stay at toa payoh, using draco now. though i have about 70% strength and 70% quality, but my output is very bad. Always no video and keep freezing.
I dunno if it is due to the box something wrong or just my area bad. 70/70 not enough...
Old 14-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #157

I also have such a problem. With about 70% strength and quality, i will also have freezing effects....
Old 21-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #158
Supremacy Member

(Available In True HD On HD5) what this means

Tonight LOTR (Available In True HD On HD5)

but what that means? Do i need any special setup or just a HD ready lcd tv??
Old 21-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #159
Arch-Supremacy Member

if i am not wrong
need to subscript.......$$
Old 21-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #160
Arch-Supremacy Member

no.. it means there's a HD-quality broadcast in HD5 (which is not upscaled from SD).

You'll need either:
1) DVB-T HDTV set top box which can receive the signal off-the-air (assuming you can receive at all). This is free
2) Singtel MioTV
3) Starhub Digital set top box channel 300 in July 08.

Last edited by alanchia67; 21-06-2008 at 10:49 AM..
Old 21-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #161

no.. it means there's a HD-quality broadcast in HD5 (which is not upscaled from SD).

You'll need either:
1) DVB-T HDTV set top box which can receive the signal off-the-air (assuming you can receive at all). This is free
2) Singtel MioTV
3) Starhub Digital set top box channel 300 in July 08.

so my hdtv read lcd is not good enough to receive hd5?

by the way i pluggged in my hd ready tv into hdb antena and i have 2 channel 5 which one better? any of those? im using lcd tv regeza toshiba
Old 21-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #162

I stay at toa payoh, using draco now. though i have about 70% strength and 70% quality, but my output is very bad. Always no video and keep freezing.
I dunno if it is due to the box something wrong or just my area bad. 70/70 not enough...
Buy a 5m extension and place the antenna at another location, just like did. I get a transmission every time.
Old 27-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #163

Buy a 5m extension and place the antenna at another location, just like did. I get a transmission every time.
i bought a 3 m cable and solved the problem. :lol:
Old 27-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #164

I recently realised that Draco when it get heated up during standby...it will give problem like no video, no sound - via HDMI. Now I unplug it, when not it use and I don't encounter such problem any more.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #165

Set-top Box for digital tuner TV?

G'Day everyone!

For those who have purchased Samsung F81 series or the LG (sorry I do not remember the model no) or Sharp's latest D83 series with both analog & digital tuners; do you have to use a set-top box to watch HD 5 programs?

For those do not need to use the set-box to watch free to air HD progams, can you share with us where you stay? A general streetname will do.

Thank You
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.